U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 09:58 AM

208 posts, read 217,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj1182 View Post
You're not going to like the winters here. Right now it feels like -25 degrees. It's disgustingly cold.
From what I can tell, being a non-resident, these aren't "normal" temperatures. Looks like you give it a few days and it'll be in the 40's and 50's. It could be like here in Minnesota where it perpetually stays colder than that (quick check shows windchill of -35 degrees here, highs around -5 to 0 for the next week). That's why we are planning on moving there. I can handle a minor cold snap as long as "warm" (relative to here, not Phoenix) temperatures show up in a couple days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 10:19 AM

578 posts, read 675,343 times
Fortunately it won't stay like this all winter but it is normal for us to have spells of frigid temps. The good thing is you get a break in temps, you might have a week where the temps hoover in the single digits or teens and then it will warm back up to regular winter temps in the 30 to low 40 range, then you sometimes get a lovely above average 50 degree day or two (the warm before the storm) and the next weather pattern rolls through. You can easily go from a high of 50 degrees one day to a high of 15 the next. That is what makes our weather fun.

I'll take the cold over the seriously windy spring months though, that makes it hard to be outdoors.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:38 PM

5,024 posts, read 6,729,270 times
This happens every few years or so, but these are below normal temperatures - getting significantly below 0F is only a once in a while thing.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:45 PM

2,618 posts, read 2,974,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I don't know if I'd say never ever, as there may have indeed been a few nights in the 80's - I think I remember one or two - but they did definitely stand out and are rare. As for Pits, you'll meet all types here - lovers and haters both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Some rentals won't allow pitbulls. The general attitude towards them is less ignorant here than in most cities, but some people still are ignorant. I have a mixed dog that is part pit. We just refer to her as a mix with a different part of the heritage listed.

In the years I've been here, it seems like we get a week or so worth of nights with lows in the seventies. I don't think I have witnessed lows in the 80s yet. As a side note, I live on the North side which is 5 degrees or so cooler than the south side.

The vast majority of the nights the highs will be between 50 and 68.

I didn't think I would like the massive temperature swings when I made the move. That was about the only thing I had miscalculated. It turns out that I love the swings. Those cool summer nights make me very happy during the summer. So do the temperature drops in the afternoon when we get one of the frequent thunderstorms.
Here is the info for CS in June:
Colorado Springs Daily Extremes - June
(5 times in June with a max low in the 70s-4 of them before 1940 and one in 1998)

Here is the infor for CS for July:
Colorado Springs Daily Extremes - July
(1 time in July in 1963)

August:
Colorado Springs Daily Extremes - August
(3 times BEFORE 1935 in August!)

No 70s in May or September.

Safe to say 80s are probably impossible for now.

I do remember it still being like 90 degrees at 11pm one time flying into Denver in summer from Texas, but it still got down to 68 around 4-5 am.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:24 PM

177 posts, read 220,361 times
Why do most "pit owners" look like they have self-esteem issues or want to "look tough"?

Weird......

The dog is usually not the problem but the owners MOST of the time are.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:35 PM

4 posts, read 2,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
If your dog isn't 100% pit, call it a mix. Most people won't be able to tell.
Perhaps the ones that are seeing impaired (people, not dogs). Any normal person will be able to know a mix breed Pit Bull in about half a second.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:42 PM

10 posts, read 19,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffdiver View Post
Why do most "pit owners" look like they have self-esteem issues or want to "look tough"?

Weird......

The dog is usually not the problem but the owners MOST of the time are.
Sorry but my penor is very small, you need an electron microscope to see it, so I had to get a pit to make up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBobalot View Post
Perhaps the ones that are seeing impaired (people, not dogs). Any normal person will be able to know a mix breed Pit Bull in about half a second.
Square head? Check. Lots of muscles? Check. Short hair? Check. I still get asked what kind of dog he is when I walk him by at least one person, don't get it. Maybe because he's not cropped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj1182 View Post
You're not going to like the winters here. Right now it feels like -25 degrees. It's disgustingly cold.
Hmmm. Trapped in the house due to freezing killer cold or brutal killer heat? Come spend a few summers here and decide for yourself.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:20 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,729,360 times
Highs (this is why winter here is so nice)
40, 51, 47, 65, 64, 55, 61, 57, 47, 33 (snowing)

We get quite a bit of temperature variation, which really breaks it up and makes it much easier to deal with the cold when it does happen.

I feel like I should upload a photo of my pit mix. Not one person has identified her as such, despite several friends that love dogs. Note, she is only 25% pit, but no one has known it was there. My wife and I found out because we were given her "breed history", or whatever, they call it, and it was obvious someone had put incorrect information on it. That got us started having a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs