U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 11:16 PM

10 posts, read 19,304 times

Advertisements

Been kicking around the idea of leaving Phoenix for CS. I am done with the overnight lows above 90 during the summer, anymore and I might snap. So in the interest of public safety I'm moving as soon as a family situation will let me.

Question is, how have the lows been during the summers the past few years in CS? I saw averages in the mid/high 50s, but how have recent years been? Does it ever stay above 80 overnight during the summer? Is A/C necessary to stay comfortable for sleeping? Wondering if I should make A/C a requirement when rental shopping.

Less important question. What's the attitude in CS on Pitbulls compared to Denver? I am aware there are no restrictions, just curious what the general attitude is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 01:20 AM

4,674 posts, read 6,758,311 times
I live in Tucson after owning a home for 40 years in the CS area. Generally, in the summer, the night time temps will be in the 50's, low 60's, but never, ever as warm as the 80's. The 80's are the daytime highs. AC is desirable, but not necessary.

I think that generally, people aren't comfortable around pitbulls.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:48 AM

666 posts, read 991,146 times
The general attitude I get about pits here is that they are just like all other dogs and it's the owner who makes a dog good. Now that doesn't mean that we don't have your typical ignorant negative feelings about pits, but dogs are very popular here and dog people don't usually think pits are automatically evil dogs.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:27 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,708,038 times
I don't know if I'd say never ever, as there may have indeed been a few nights in the 80's - I think I remember one or two - but they did definitely stand out and are rare. As for Pits, you'll meet all types here - lovers and haters both.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:26 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,089,141 times
One thing to keep in mind if you have a pit bull or one of the other breeds designated as 'aggressive' is that you may have some trouble finding rentals that allow it - something to keep in mind.

As far as A/C, as others have said, if I had it, I would use it maybe 5 nights a year. Most of the time it is not needed, especially if you have a ceiling fan to keep the air moving a bit.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:12 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,718,232 times
Some rentals won't allow pitbulls. The general attitude towards them is less ignorant here than in most cities, but some people still are ignorant. I have a mixed dog that is part pit. We just refer to her as a mix with a different part of the heritage listed.

In the years I've been here, it seems like we get a week or so worth of nights with lows in the seventies. I don't think I have witnessed lows in the 80s yet. As a side note, I live on the North side which is 5 degrees or so cooler than the south side.

The vast majority of the nights the highs will be between 50 and 68.

I didn't think I would like the massive temperature swings when I made the move. That was about the only thing I had miscalculated. It turns out that I love the swings. Those cool summer nights make me very happy during the summer. So do the temperature drops in the afternoon when we get one of the frequent thunderstorms.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:24 PM

10 posts, read 19,304 times
Thanks everyone for the replies, very useful.

No doubt I will love the temperature swings, just like Phoenix used to be when I was a kid before the Heat Island effect went into overdrive. Will just have to figure out ways to stay warm in the winter. CS natives will be laughing at me for overdressing, but it will make up for me laughing at folks during the summer when they say it's hot.

Finding a rental that will accept my dog shouldn't be too difficult, plenty of realtors/property managers that aren't so diligent on ppar.com.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:55 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,930,444 times
I've been here for 5 years and I can't remember a night where the overnight temperature was over 80 degrees.

With AC, I would say it really depends on: house size, whether the bedrooms are upstairs or downstairs, and which direction you have windows. I've seen houses with a huge wall of windows on the south and west sides, two floors worth of windows. On a 60 degree day in September, I went through this house, it was HOT. A house with a northern facing wall of windows wouldn't have the same problem.

We have AC and what I normally do is run it during the day and once it is cooler outside than what I run the AC I open windows. That happens usually around 7p.m.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:36 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,718,232 times
If your dog isn't 100% pit, call it a mix. Most people won't be able to tell.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:37 AM

17 posts, read 31,557 times
You're not going to like the winters here. Right now it feels like -25 degrees. It's disgustingly cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs