U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 06:12 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,522,302 times

Advertisements

I am trying to buy a used truck and am finding the asking prices on lots to be over double the Blue Book "Excellent" low mileage retail prices. Is that normal or is there that much negotiating room here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 08:35 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,706,647 times
Look on craigslist. It's a big city, and the difference between retail and private party pricing is huge.

It's definitely not normal for something to be over double the blue book.

Have you adjusted for all the optional features that may be installed?

Honestly, I wouldn't buy from a dealership until I was a millionaire because the mark up is so huge compared to what I can get on craigslist.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:48 AM

OK thanks.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:11 AM

599 posts, read 803,406 times
Good used trucks are like gold all over Colorado, and the dealers know it. They buy out of state and bring the trucks in, because they are so hard to find here.

It might be worth your while to look in other states. You can find good 4x4 trucks in Des Moines or Chicago area that were used by a suburbanite to haul 40 lb bags of dog food as the most severe duty.

Dallas is another place where there are a lot of trucks that are used like cars.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:11 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,620,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
Good used trucks are like gold all over Colorado, and the dealers know it. They buy out of state and bring the trucks in, because they are so hard to find here.

It might be worth your while to look in other states. You can find good 4x4 trucks in Des Moines or Chicago area that were used by a suburbanite to haul 40 lb bags of dog food as the most severe duty.

Dallas is another place where there are a lot of trucks that are used like cars.
AZ or NM for used. No Magnesium or Calcium chloride, no rusty frames / undercarriage.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:15 AM

666 posts, read 988,685 times
I feel pretty lucky I stumbled upon my truck. I wasn't exactly looking but it was on my want list when I found it. It was 17 years old with only 115k miles. In really good condition and no hitch installed on it, which means it wasn't used to tow at all. Had a mechanic check it out, and have had another check it out since then, and both tell me it was a great truck and I got it for a fair price. First mechanic heard the asking price and he told me to run to the bank and get the money.

Keep your eyes open. Of course you'll pay more at a dealer. And don't be scared of craigslist. I've bought and sold a few vehicles on there now. Meet in public and insist all money transactions take place at your bank so you're either depositing the money directly or paying by cashiers check to be safe. Good luck!

Old 02-04-2014, 08:20 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,706,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
AZ or NM for used. No Magnesium or Calcium chloride, no rusty frames / undercarriage.
Quoted for truth. When I lived in Iowa, I traveled to a better climate to buy the truck.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allprolab View Post
Meet in public and insist all money transactions take place at your bank so you're either depositing the money directly or paying by cashiers check to be safe. Good luck!

So, step one is open a local bank account, right? I understand the need for caution. I guess ENT Credit Union would be good while I still have a Gov ID card (not retired yet).
Thanks for the tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs