U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,732 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was in Colorado Springs in November and really love it, we are thinking of moving to that area this summer. I was just wondering why we didn't see many/any homes with pools, above ground or below, are they not allowed? I'm from Illinois and people have them all over.

Also, are homes allowed to have outdoor fire pits?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 02:21 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Fire pits are okay.

Pools don't work well here, the climate just isn't hot enough; at best you get only a few months use of them during the year. Better to join a gym or club with a pool.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:05 PM

794 posts, read 1,491,804 times
There are codes concerning the construction and placement of fire rings. Their use varies with whatever burn restrictions happen to be in force at any given time.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:31 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,348,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khrispetro View Post
I was in Colorado Springs in November and really love it, we are thinking of moving to that area this summer. I was just wondering why we didn't see many/any homes with pools, above ground or below, are they not allowed? I'm from Illinois and people have them all over. Also, are homes allowed to have outdoor fire pits?
Yes, both are allowed in most places, but there may be serious restrictions on either depending on where you live and what drought conditions exist that year.

The past few years, there has been a very serious drought, which in our area (and many others) meant very tight fire restrictions and an outright ban against things like outdoor fire pits. It also meant severe water restrictions which meant the amount of water you could use for things like watering lawns, filling pools or even washing cars was very limited. In my town, washing your own car in your driveway was made ILLEGAL last sumer and you were subject to a big fine if you did it. We had to take our cars to an automated wash or to one of those coin op wash places. So filling a pool was certainly frowned upon if allowed at all. Also, storing your own water in Colorado is essentially illegal so it better be a real swimming pool and not any sort of pond or anything else that could be considered 'storage'.

There's also the cold weather, which limits usage but that's true for a lot of places back east too and plenty of people have pools out there. We had one when I was there and we just had to drain it partially, pour an antifreeze chemical into it in the fall and then fill it and flush the pump in the spring. No big deal. You could do the same here. But swimming weather can be erratic at best for all but late-June through early-Sept (especially in the higher elevations) so the season you could reliably use it is pretty short and the season where it must be dormant is pretty long. That's another reason a lot of people don't have them, but the main reason these days is the drought conditions. Also, IMO, a lot of Colorodans don't see swimming as a big priority, compared to say hiking, skiing, etc. It's just not a big water-sports state for the most part.

We have friend with an above ground pool which they fill each summer and use for a few months and then just collapse it and store it. That is an option. It's not the most fun way to swim but it does the trick on a hot day and the kids love it.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:43 PM

9,734 posts, read 6,265,376 times
I also read somewhere that because water costs SO much more here, filling a pool can be insanely expensive even if you're allowed to do it.

I love that we have a community center with indoor and outdoor pools, my kids go there all the time in the summer, and sometimes even in the winter too.

Firepits you can have, but as others have stated, burn restrictions and bans go into effect, and each city/county/etc has their own bans. So you need to be aware of which locality's rules apply to you, and check their websites for advisement. It will be explained there that (for instance) no open burning is allowed but burning in a contained space is, or that no burning at all is allowed, etc. With wildfires as bad as we've had them the last couple of years, it's just something you can't argue with.

I know people who have firepits though, and they get plenty of use out of them. Burn bans are usually most common in the summer through fall months.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:31 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,348,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I also read somewhere that because water costs SO much more here, filling a pool can be insanely expensive...
Our friends have a 4' deep above ground pool which costs them $60 to fill each spring. It can vary of course but even double that would not be insane imo. You could save more than that ea h yearjust by using economic mode on your dishwasher.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:44 AM

9,734 posts, read 6,265,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Our friends have a 4' deep above ground pool which costs them $60 to fill each spring. It can vary of course but even double that would not be insane imo. You could save more than that ea h yearjust by using economic mode on your dishwasher.
Good to know. I've heard some scary figures, but didn't know what to believe.

FWIW however, some of the outlying municipalities have different water rates. My bill out at the "Colorado Center Metropolitan District" (which is silly, "metropolitan" my bottom, it's in the middle of NOWHERE) was much higher than it is now that I'm paying Security Water. My water quality is much better, too.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:49 PM

51 posts, read 92,736 times
Regarding fire pit, I would check your local laws as I'm sure the bans get lifted depending on the weather. You would probably need a spark guard on a wood burning one. When it comes to something like a propane or natural gas fire pit like this Fire Sense Well Traveled Living Cast Aluminum LPG Fire Pit Table - 61168 - The Fire Pit Store
I think would be no problem as it basically operates like a gas grill. I lived 20 miles outside Denver back in the 90's and our next door neighbor had a pool...I never got in it as it was too cold He didn't have a solor heater hooked up to it, which would have probably helped.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,505 times
Do you know what company your friend used otterprods

Last edited by screnshaw; 06-05-2015 at 05:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs