U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:39 PM

10,086 posts, read 6,415,375 times

Advertisements

Oh, and I had a bit of rage this morning myself, but it wasn't the snow or other drivers causing it actually.

It was a traffic light that wasn't working properly, or else no one could see where to stop to trigger it because the ground was snow covered. So traffic piled up wayyyy down the road waiting for a light that was never going to go green. I finally gave up, turned right, went down the road and turned around. Very aggravating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 12:49 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,631,758 times
You do know there is a law here if the light does not change in 2 cycles you can proceed through? It's legal on a motorcycle.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:51 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,379,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
Ok, if I were King. (Paperwork must keep getting hung up with the State)
OMG, why do people loose their minds when we have 2" on snow on the roads.
8-10 mph then going through red lights etc. I think I need some blood pressure medication.
People, just stay home or park your cars and walk. Rant over.
Not a bad idea, but we'll also need a "How to not be an obnoxious EXPERT" course as a followup.

True story: I'm coming up the hill to my neighborhood in my Subaru with snow tires. I spot a friend stuck in her 2wd sedan on the wrong side of the road, halfway up a blind hill. I pull off to the side, put on my hazards, and offer to help her get unstuck. She happily accepts. I jump in but there's no way she has the traction to make it up from there. I back up to a parking lot across the street to prepare to make a straight run at it with a moving start. Just then a truck comes around the bend and stops in the road, watching us and shouting some kind of 'expert' advice. I wait for him to move. He turns off his lights (WHY?) and just sits there. I go anyways, but have to drive around him at this point. Can't make it, not enough speed. He leaves; No lights. We back down but another car is coming and I really want to get back into my own car where my wife and little kids await. So we parked our friend's car overnight, gave her a ride home and came back the next day with chains. At which point we went right up of course.

Disclaimer: Yeah, OK, we should have just parked and planned to come back with chains in the first place. But it's a quiet country road with no one around until doofus shows up and I thought it was worth a try because I've made it up that way before.

Lesson: People with 4wd trucks and winter driving experience: When you think you see some newbie driving erratically in the snow, you probably don't know the whole story. If you're in a position to stop and help someone out, great, but get out of the road and communicate your intentions first. Don't just block the road and become the vigilante snow cops for all to behold.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
You do know there is a law here if the light does not change in 2 cycles you can proceed through? It's legal on a motorcycle.
Really. I had no idea!

Well for what it's worth, traffic was backed way up, it was a light onto Powers and it was easy enough to get one side of oncoming traffic clear enough to turn right...but a bit more risky with a left. Especially since people were doing like 60.

I just should have given up and gone right sooner, instead of waiting in line for a left turn that was never gonna come...

Old 02-04-2014, 04:26 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,379,993 times
Quote:
I had to look that up on snopes first, but to your credit it was not on there. It appears to vary by county or even city, so it was hard to find one specific civil code ID for it, but at least if you live in Boulder can find it in writing here:
Chapter 7-4 - Regulation of Vehicles, Pedestrians, and Parking - Operation of Vehicles

If it applies there you can be fairly confident that it will apply elsewhere as well. Even if it's not in writing in your area, it seems like a reasonable defense assuming that you could prove that the stoplight was indeed malfunctioning. I've always been frustrated at how hard it is to find actual LAWS IN WRITING so that there's no question and you don't just have to take someone's word for it. Especially considering how much judges and lawyers love to say things like 'ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it'.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:57 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,631,758 times
A bit more about non-responsive signals:
http://www.safe-route.org/laws/State...-warticles.pdf

Old 02-04-2014, 09:12 PM

21 posts, read 29,043 times
So pretentious...

Old 02-04-2014, 11:12 PM

19,290 posts, read 9,079,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Back in DC when it started snowing, one of my pals would holler out ABANDON YOUR CAR NOW which is an inside DC joke about the time it took 8 hours for people to get home one evening and many just parked their cars on the main bridges out of town and walked away from them. It was a classic DC FUBAR snow event. My wife and I stayed at work, went to a movie a few blocks away, then went to Joe Theisman's (Redskins #7) restaurant and about 8PM we headed home after all the messes were cleared. Did that quite a few times.
I don't know about you Mike, but I think this last storm -- a very moderate one, in my view -- showed what a bunch of wimps Coloradans really are. I went out in the height of the storm and felt nothing of it.

I also think COS does a lousy job of snow plowing and maintaining the roads in storms.

I don't ever again want to hear about how tough Coloradans are...at least not the ones not living in the mountains.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:34 PM

5,036 posts, read 6,753,810 times
How many Coloradans are actually from Colorado, though? These storms haven't been bad, but the driving can be at least slightly hazardous because we do not have a very good snow plow/maintenance system - we'd probably need to pay more taxes for that. I think 90% of delays, etc., are because of the road issue, not the actual issue of bodies/people out in weather. But yeah, all of our people that come from other places like California and Texas probably contribute to a growing culture of being quicker to shut things down. Heck, our military bases go to delays quicker than the schools - there used to be no such thing.....

Old 02-05-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
How many Coloradans are actually from Colorado, though? These storms haven't been bad, but the driving can be at least slightly hazardous because we do not have a very good snow plow/maintenance system - we'd probably need to pay more taxes for that. I think 90% of delays, etc., are because of the road issue, not the actual issue of bodies/people out in weather. But yeah, all of our people that come from other places like California and Texas probably contribute to a growing culture of being quicker to shut things down. Heck, our military bases go to delays quicker than the schools - there used to be no such thing.....
It used to simply slay me that I'd see like 5 stray snowflurries and they'd shut down Lewis-McChord up in Washington. It's even more amazing here...

I don't have any big complaint about the road maintenance, my commute home last night wasn't bad once I got out of where we were getting whiteout conditions. Minutes later it cleared up and the roads had been well plowed enough (Palmer Park Blvd and Powers) that we had pretty much dry pavement. I still went a little slower than the speed limit, but I was sure not having to creep along...and this morning was even better. But I still do go out of my way to avoid the bigger hills, I put myself on "snow route" whenever I'm not sure if it's gonna be bad. I care more about topographical conditions than traffic.

Again. It could be worse. It could be Georgia. I had a coworker out in Atlanta visiting our other office during that mess, she was stuck in a hotel for days with no food because all the stores and restaurants were closed, the office was closed, everything shut down because of what...an inch or two of snow? But moreso because of the ice that formed when they couldn't manage any proper salting or anything. Madness...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs