U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 07:57 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,618,652 times

Advertisements

Ok, if I were King. (Paperwork must keep getting hung up with the State)
OMG, why do people loose their minds when we have 2" on snow on the roads.
8-10 mph then going through red lights etc. I think I need some blood pressure medication.
People, just stay home or park your cars and walk. Rant over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 08:11 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,701,296 times
Many people here are transplants. Occasionally on a PCS (which is funny, because it is not actually permanent), and they have little experience with snow.

When possible, I avoid driving in the snow because I don't want someone to run into my vehicle

Old 02-04-2014, 08:45 AM

20,304 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Back in DC when it started snowing, one of my pals would holler out ABANDON YOUR CAR NOW which is an inside DC joke about the time it took 8 hours for people to get home one evening and many just parked their cars on the main bridges out of town and walked away from them. It was a classic DC FUBAR snow event. My wife and I stayed at work, went to a movie a few blocks away, then went to Joe Theisman's (Redskins #7) restaurant and about 8PM we headed home after all the messes were cleared. Did that quite a few times.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:08 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,079,841 times
My husband was in Richmond VA a few weeks ago on business. The forecast had a 'chance' of snow for the next day which was supposed to start around the time the high school let out. They cancelled school the night before because there was a 'chance' of snow! All in all, I think he said it snowed about an inch, and the whole town shut down and everyone called into work. Wusses!

Old 02-04-2014, 09:44 AM

9,734 posts, read 6,265,376 times
I don't get mad at anyone for driving slowly, and I tend to do so myself. Even on an inch or two of snow. The thing is...if you are not very confident of your ability to recover control if you lose it, then you should drive slow enough not to lose it in the first place. I don't care what kind of a vehicle one is driving, sometimes you can't just stop if there is ice. I see SUVs in ditches and in accidents all the time. I'd rather annoy everyone than hit somebody or slide out into an intersection.

BUT. I do tend to plan my route to only include streets with more than one lane each direction so that I can be passed, and I try very hard to space myself with other vehicles so that people can get around if they want to.

What gripes me are those who tailgate a slow driver, when there is PLENTY of space to get around....do you think you're gonna make me brave all of a sudden? Think I'll speed up if you kiss my bumper? This morning a guy not only tailgated me, he flashed his brights at me. Zero traffic in the other lane, he could have gone around, and eventually he did...but not until he felt he'd proved his point. Way to distract another driver who is just trying to be safe. You'd think he wanted to see an accident happen.

Bottom line is that lots of people here are less than perfectly kosher with zooming around in the snow. For a variety of reasons. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should get mad at everyone who can't or doesn't. Believe me, if I had the option to just stay home, I would.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:59 AM

12,611 posts, read 10,725,246 times
One skid / fishtail on black ice was all I needed to stop any confidence or
cockiness in me. Oh, and seeing oncoming car headlights suddenly shining straight
up into the night sky from ditches on 1-25.
Oh, then the car that turned in front of me as I was coming down a hill, as if
I could have
stopped on snow packed ice...that cost me a tire, having to turn into the curb.

I am a respector of black ice now and unexpected wrong moves of others suddenly.

I used to be fearless going to college at UB, Buffalo, NY. No more, thank you very much.
I have no ego or pride when it comes to ice and sudden life changes.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:43 AM

6,150 posts, read 9,436,212 times
About 15 years ago I floated an idea that the insurance industry would love - winter driving certification. It'd be a stamp or rating on your license similar to the way CDLs work. If you take and pass the course you get your winter certification. It's not mandatory mind you, but if you're caught driving in "winter driving conditions" without the rating you get a ticket. You could also submit your certification to the insurance company for a discount.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:47 AM

Ok, you have this dip sh*t going 8 mph with 30 cars behind. Why not at least have the courtesy to pull over and let traffic by? Really? People have no consideration for anyone but themselves.
Call in sick, stay home and don't be a menace to others. You have no right to block streets and cause ROAD RAGE.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
About 15 years ago I floated an idea that the insurance industry would love - winter driving certification. It'd be a stamp or rating on your license similar to the way CDLs work. If you take and pass the course you get your winter certification. It's not mandatory mind you, but if you're caught driving in "winter driving conditions" without the rating you get a ticket. You could also submit your certification to the insurance company for a discount.
You are the next King.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:37 AM

9,734 posts, read 6,265,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
Ok, you have this dip sh*t going 8 mph with 30 cars behind. Why not at least have the courtesy to pull over and let traffic by? Really? People have no consideration for anyone but themselves.
Call in sick, stay home and don't be a menace to others. You have no right to block streets and cause ROAD RAGE.
I agree that it would have been courteous of this person to pull over and let other cars by, or at least plan their route so that they could be passed on a 2-lane road.

But assuming that everyone can get away with just calling in sick is not realistic. Saying that a person should miss a day of work and jeopardize their employment just so that you can get where you want to be faster and not suffer from angry feels...that is selfish, too.

Everyone, no matter how good a driver or how magical their 4WD, should plan for a commute to take longer if it's snowed. Period.

Just be glad you don't live in Georgia...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs