U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 1,700 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! The information here is really appreciated. You guys and gals are great!

A little info: We will be visiting for a week in April, placing a deposit on a place in May (another visit) and whole family moving in June. Hubby and I have 2 kids who will be entering 3rd and 6th grades in the fall. We are hoping to rent in in an area we eventually buy in so the kids don't have to change schools again. We will be seeking a single family home to rent around $1000-$1100. When we buy we'll be looking for 175-225k that needs some renovating. So far we like the area around Coronado HS and Fountain (the city). Job placement is still not final so we are not sure if going as far south as Fountain will be ideal.

We enjoy having things we frequent close by so I have a few questions.

Where is the best Roller Skating Rink? These tend to be older and its hit or miss if they've been kept well.

Do any specific neighborhoods/areas have parades and activities that are smaller than the main city events?

I understand gardening is a challenge. Is it possible to keep a few potted tomato plants alive or does hail usually take them out?

Where is the best Farmer's Market? Are any year around? Do you have multiple sellers of grassfed beef?

Does anyone have a specific grassfed farm for pork or beef they can recommend to buy by the piece? I started searching but found ones that were a lot higher priced than what we have now. I am willing to drive up to an hour to get reasonable rates.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 12:36 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,080,586 times
Parades - Monument has a 4th of July parade. Its been a few years since I have been there, but it used to be fun. Manitou Springs has a parade to coincide with Mardi Gras, and they also have the Coffin races around Halloween, plus a lot of other fun things.

Gardening - Many things can be grown here, just make sure you choose the varieties that have a short 'days to maturity'. It may be trial and error for a few years until you find what works for you. I put out a 'hail screen' on my garden which I leave out until after 4th of July.

Lots of Farmers Markets here - here is a site with schedules from 2013 for example: Colorado Springs Farmers Markets in Colorado Springs - ColoradoSprings123.com
We also have some CSAs here (Community Supported Agriculture) where you buy a share in a farm and each week get what they harvest. There are number of sources for Grass Fed Beef and also Bison. Here are a few local ones: Black Forest Bison - Buy Bison (Buffalo) Jerky, Sausage, Steaks and More Lasater Grasslands Beef | Order 100% Grass Fed Beef Online I have no idea if their rates are good though.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:01 PM

553 posts, read 1,414,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamom2 View Post
I understand gardening is a challenge. Is it possible to keep a few potted tomato plants alive or does hail usually take them out?
Gardening isn't a huge challenge. It can be.......different.....than in other places. Tomatoes will grow, but yes, a storm might wreak havoc on them. Maybe not. Our storms can be very localized. Your tomatoes could get destroyed, but the guy three blocks away is fine. You never know. You probably want to fence around any garden you put in, as deer and other critters will do in your veggies long before the hail will.

The Manitou Springs Library has a Seed Library, where you can go grab seeds from successful efforts of other local gardeners.
Manitou Springs Seed Library Seeds, dirt and community.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:56 PM

574 posts, read 623,583 times
AFAIK the only roller rinks in town are the two Skate City locations, both on the north side of downtown. I've never been to either of them so I can't comment on atmosphere/safety.

Ice skating is a much more popular sport than roller in Colorado Springs (this is home to US Figure Skating and USA Hockey). There are four ice rinks in the area:

The World Arena has two practice rinks, besides the main arena. This is where most of the elite figure skaters in the area train, and while they do have some recreational skating programs, it's not really their main focus. During the holiday season they have public skating sessions in the big arena, which kids especially may find fun.

Sertich rink, in Memorial Park just east of downtown, is a municipal rink where the city parks department runs learn-to-skate and recreational programs, for adults as well as kids. This is where I skate most frequently myself.

Honnen Arena at Colorado College takes up some of the overflow from the World Arena -- I believe most of the local ice dancers train there now. They also have adult/public sessions, and hockey programs.

Up on the far north side of the city, there is a twin-rink complex in Monument. Until recently this was basically just a hockey rink, but about a year ago an elite coach set up camp there because the World Arena was too full. This is the rink where Olympian Jason Brown trains, but they are trying to set up a program for all levels of skaters.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:28 AM

5,005 posts, read 6,681,120 times
I second the ice skating idea. The roller rinks are there, but they're definitely nothing special, they're pretty old and run down but they're good for elementary school kids, imho.

Tomato plants will grow here, but I find the issue for me is I am often fighting the fall frost to get the fruit. But some people who do part of their gardening indoors and start earlier than me seem to have more success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs