U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 11:05 AM

37 posts, read 30,691 times

Advertisements

We moved here back in July of 2013. When I lived in Atlanta, I would get a cold every 2 or 3 years but ever since coming here I have had a cold no less than 6 times. Did anyone experience this when they first came here? So far, the docs have told me just drink more water and use a salient nose spray (which makes it worse). Not ever planning on moving but wondering if there's something I should try since I've come here.

Last edited by Harlin; 02-11-2014 at 11:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 11:45 AM

727 posts, read 1,135,707 times
Six colds in less than a year? I'm certainly no doctor, but this sounds more like allergies. Have you seen an allergist?

Old 02-11-2014, 12:10 PM

No but seriously considering it. My sinuses have definitely taken a hit since I've been here.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:20 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,083,304 times
Do you have little kids? Adults will often catch everything their kids bring home. Once the kids are older, that seems to stop.

I got an ear infection when I first moved here 20 years ago - never had one before - very weird. But I don't recall being sick more often than before. I do have very mild allergies here that I did not have before though, but they are very tolerable - only makes me sneeze more often.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:14 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,353,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlin View Post
We moved here back in July of 2013. When I lived in Atlanta, I would get a cold every 2 or 3 years but ever since coming here I have had a cold no less than 6 times. Did anyone experience this when they first came here? So far, the docs have told me just drink more water and use a salient nose spray (which makes it worse). Not ever planning on moving but wondering if there's something I should try since I've come here.
I got sick more often and for longer in my first year or two after moving her from NorCal. And it wasn't just allergies it was definitely the flu and other viral or bacterial illness. Now I'm back to the regular cycle of 1-2 (or less) actual sicknesses per year. I have kids, ages 1 & 3. I have gotten sick from them couple of times but expect to a lot more often once they start school. I can;t guarantee your pattern will be the same, but I say hang in there and it may get better over time.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-11-2014 at 03:49 PM..

Old 02-11-2014, 02:05 PM

Thanks guys. Just wondering if anyone else experienced this coming to a very dry climate like what we have here.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:41 PM

20,313 posts, read 37,815,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlin View Post
Thanks guys. Just wondering if anyone else experienced this coming to a very dry climate like what we have here.
Our skin is the first line of defense to keep pathogens out of our bodies/bloodstream. A dry climate opens up very tiny cracks in the skin lining of the nostrils; those tiny cracks allow the cold/flu germs to enter the body and cause havoc. Try using saline spray to keep those tiny cracks from opening; it comes in both regular and gel types. Wash hands often too.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:04 PM

9,799 posts, read 6,287,387 times
First of all, you have to bear in mind that viruses and bacteria constantly mutate, and different strains will quickly evolve in different areas. So when you move, it's fairly reasonable to expect that you'll be exposed to bugs you're not yet immune to, hence you'll catch colds and such more often until your body builds defenses against the local strains. Logically. Anything that can help your body be stronger to fight is recommended. Vitamin C, Zinc, not smoking, exercise, plenty of sleep, lots of water, just make yourself as healthy as you can. For what it's worth, I had a problem where every time my favorite band would come to town, I'd meet up with 'em and shake hands and hug people...these are people who toured across the nation and one or more usually had a cold, and I'd always wind up sick. Well I started munching Airborne supplements about a week or two before shows and now I pretty much never have that problem.

Also there are different allergens that you may be sensitive to.

Also, I think the altitude weakens your system for a while until you adapt (but after months, you should be well adapted) and the dry climate irritates my sinuses something fierce. You might also try adding a humidifier to your room where you sleep at night. The dryness STILL bothers me when it's particularly dry out and I've been here since Dec. 2011.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:36 AM

4,670 posts, read 6,745,956 times
Ironically, we had the opposite issue. My son, born and raised until age 20 in Divide, never got sick or had allergies until we moved to Tucson. Now, he has horrific year round allergies, and is always catching every bug that goes around, it seems. His doctor has said it's the dust. We are in a desert, after all, so he moved to an apartment in downtown Tucson, away from the edge of town, and his allergies cleared up dramatically. He will get one or two colds a year (extreme temp changes in one day doesn't help), but the dust just about did him in.

We did have extreme dryness in Divide and our hands, lips and skin would crack. We had to get humidifiers for the house.

I wonder if coming from a more humid climate, the dryness and dust aren't what's really bothering you. Try humidifying your house with room humidifiers, or by putting a large stock pot on the stove and letting it simmer gently when you're home. You can get small steam humidifiers for the bedrooms that might help at night, or you can buy and install a furnace humidifier to humidify your whole house. If the added humidity helps, you could be sensitive to the dryness which kills your sinuses, or to the dust in the air.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:20 AM

5,007 posts, read 6,689,931 times
Maybe it is moving in general that might increase susceptibility to illness temporarily - a new environment that your body isn't accustomed to. Or, it could be anecdotal - the move could coincide with something else that caused the apparent increase - like particularly bad flu seasons, having young children who are bringing in added exposure, etc. You may also look and see if you are doing something differently that could be contributing - change in diet, exercise, job stress, family stress, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs