U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 06:59 PM

4 posts, read 6,596 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am very interested in moving to Colorado Springs and have been for a few years. I recently retired and live in NJ where my income really doesn't stretch very well. My son lives in the Springs with his family and they love it, although I can tell he gets homesick every now and then. I am looking for an affordable apt preferably a 2bedroom under $1000 a month. I would really like to rent in the $700-$800 range but also want something nice. If any one has any advice I would appreciate it.

Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 08:08 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,804,669 times
Lots to choose from here. Start with padmapper.com for rentals but beware that much of Craigslist are scammers.

Your son can tell you the better parts, but for the most part avoid the S.E.part of the city in the general vicinity of Citadel Mall and that area, which is considered the least nice place.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:57 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,705,458 times
Security-Widefield to find something great in your budget.

Your money will go much farther here than in NJ. We aren't Texas, but we are much more affordable than NJ.

You mentioned being retired, which usually happens later in life. If you have any breathing difficulties, which correlate with age, make sure the oxygen up here is sufficient for you. Some elderly people are encouraged to leave the state, because the lack of oxygen would literally kill them. I usually recommend people planning to move to the Springs engage in a healthy lifestyle. I started running a few months before moving to the Springs to get my lungs in shape. It seemed to help.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:58 AM

4 posts, read 6,596 times
Thanks, I am in pretty good health. I visit @ least twice a year & I find the thin air doesn't bother me.
My son is trying to help me with my search but he is rather busy with 2 boys.
He lives in the 80922 area so trying to get close to that area.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:57 AM

9,757 posts, read 6,277,070 times
If you found something in Security-Widefield, you'd be a quick hop up Powers Blvd to your son's house. I do however advise people to be careful about apartments in Security-Widefield because some aren't as good...it's a place to look at small houses for cheap.

If you want an apartment for the lack of maintenance compared to a house, you would (I'd think) want to look in the same zipcode as your son. There is one specific complex I'd like to warn you about there, it's just off Powers/Stetson Hills/Tutt Blvd. Winfield Apts. I have a friend who lives there and while I wouldn't say she's a model tenant herself (3 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 3 adults in a tiny 2BR apt...JEEZ.) she complains about crazy neighbors who are loud, intrusive, and irritating. Often talks about loud fights in the parking lots and such. I know I wouldn't want to live there.

This site lets you look at crime maps, you can search any place and filter for what kinds of events and the timeframe is at the bottom. This is just calls for service not necessarily actual crimes...but I think the data is useful.

My Neighborhood Update

(I also like comparing Security-Widefield and Fountain to the perception of it as just an extension of the undesirable SE side. The crime stats speak for themselves. My community is pretty good!)

Old 02-15-2014, 08:45 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,705,458 times
Winfield is in my opinion, an unfortunate complex, filled with section 8. My wife and I were looking at the area and said, "oh look, more apartments, why didn't we have them on our list". Upon driving through and seeing the residents, I told my wife to check our "section 8 list", which is the apartments we had crossed off because they accepted section 8. Winfield is arguably the worst apartment complex this far North.

Speaking of apartments. Does anyone know what is being built just North of Bridal pass, next to the villa sport?

From the looks of the concrete there might be some storage units, but it looks like there is some wood framing going up near there, and the spacing makes it seem like it might be some very tiny apartments.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:34 PM

553 posts, read 1,415,278 times
If you're moving here from NJ, bring Taylor Ham and Corn Toasties. You can't get either of those beloved products out here. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs