U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 08:53 PM

5,007 posts, read 6,683,532 times

Advertisements

This made me laugh! Looking for love? Try Colorado Springs, Facebook says
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 06:34 AM

5,007 posts, read 6,683,532 times
Here's a "reaction" follow-up article/video: Residents react to Colorado Springs being deemed most romantic city by Facebook

Old 02-14-2014, 06:54 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,704,040 times
The methodology was terrible, but it's really just click-bait.

Using a single month and tracking how many people go from single to in a relationship has very little correlation with anything meaningful, however, the premise that the springs is a very romantic city is not unreasonable. The spectacular views, good weather, and healthy lifestyle make the springs a great place. The lack of night life might seem a downer for some, but I wouldn't consider "night life" to be the place to find a woman that was "wife quality". You can bet I didn't find my wife that way.

I'm more surprised that such a terrible methodology actually landed with a reasonable result.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:56 AM

836 posts, read 1,308,990 times
Well, there's a million of those Best Places lists and none of em match.

Methinks they're written by realtors.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:02 AM

12,648 posts, read 10,739,738 times
Well, what it showed by watching the clicks from single to relationship is how
desperate people are here.
I must admit it has never been hard for me...and why? Because there ARE so many lonely, divorced men out there.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:36 PM

2,819 posts, read 4,235,312 times
what a joke of a way to determine that. Now if they used restaurants and scenic overlooks, I could see that. Plenty of scenic areas in Colorado Springs to take a date: Sunbird Restaurant, Garden of the Gods, etc.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:37 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,350,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
Well, there's a million of those Best Places lists and none of em match. Methinks they're written by realtors.
Either realtors or people with darts, a blindfold and a big map of the US.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:53 AM

123 posts, read 154,099 times
Romance and "action" are two different things. As a permanently SWF, I can attest that "action" is generally within an hours reach almost anywhere, but in a lifetime I never once found any "romance". If by Romance they mean sex, college towns and cities usually get the top votes. Romance is mostly for younger women who have a guy that's nuts about them and that can happen anywhere. Equating Romance with "action" or a "night life scene" aren't one in the same to me. I hated bars at 21 and I still hate them, ironically I was once a singer trying to make my way up in bars. If I'd known how much I despise drinking culture and alcohol fueled social activities in general I would have made different choices in life.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:57 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,704,040 times
So perhaps a good way to do this would be to use weightings that include the following:

Marriage licenses issued per year per capita (perhaps weight towards first marriage licenses)
Divorces per year (use as an inverse weight, more people getting divorced, less romantic)
Quality of scenic vistas
Bed and breakfasts (per capita)
Wedding reservations (sometimes people travel from other areas to get married)
Possibly an inverse weighting to trashy bars per capita to ensure romance, rather than "stranger sex" is being measured
On the above note, I'm not sure how we would define trashy bars, but I think we've all seen some
If we actually could run the results of this, I'm pretty sure by seeing some awful places near the top we would get a feel for what weightings needed to be adjusted to keep the model from spitting out things that we knew were stupid.
I'd probably also weight the list to favor large cities, since per capita figures could occasionally result in tiny towns jumping from spot 1000 to number 1 by having an exceptionally high number of marriages that year. I also find larger cities more romantic. There is more to finding someone that is right for you, rather than finding the other person your age and being stuck with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs