U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 07:13 AM

5,012 posts, read 6,708,038 times

Advertisements

I just want to say that I come from a family of electricians and jobs can be tough - yes, there is always work, but sometimes to get it you have to leave your family and travel to another part of the country for months at a time, or you have to work night shifts for months, or on Sundays or on Christmas to make ends meet. And sometimes you do have to sit on the books, especially when you get older - there's little loyalty for the guys who put in 30 years - when you're usefulness is up, it is up. When the market is up, it is a good living right at home, but in a typical career that would be maybe half of it if past trends continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 10:16 AM

4 posts, read 5,848 times
Thanks for your input! We are definitely accustomed to this trend of employment as it basically goes along with any trade here in Va, especially within the past 7-8 years due to the downfall of the economy. To my fiance's benefit, he has put himself through trade school and is currently state licensed in VA so I can't forsee him getting licensed in CO being to difficult. Also, he is a service electrician, so we are already used to the crazy hours, travel time, etc. and his company is already established out there in CO, so we are hoping that he will be able to transfer and keep his same job! Fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I just want to say that I come from a family of electricians and jobs can be tough - yes, there is always work, but sometimes to get it you have to leave your family and travel to another part of the country for months at a time, or you have to work night shifts for months, or on Sundays or on Christmas to make ends meet. And sometimes you do have to sit on the books, especially when you get older - there's little loyalty for the guys who put in 30 years - when you're usefulness is up, it is up. When the market is up, it is a good living right at home, but in a typical career that would be maybe half of it if past trends continue.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:25 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,360,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSINES28 View Post
near or in the mountains preferrably so we will be gauranteed to get lots of snow!
Since virtually all of CO has a semi-arid climate, there are no guarantees of that anywhere, even if you lived at the top of Wolf Creek Pass. But, generally the higher the elevation, the more likely regular and heavy snowfall is. COS averages around 6k in elevation. Monument Hill to its north is close to 7500 feet. Woodland Park averages closer to 8500. None of those places get anything close to the high-country-ski-resort levels of snowfall that you're probably thinking of when you say 'gauranteed to get lots of snow!'.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:47 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,718,232 times
I suppose it all becomes definitions of "lots". @ 7000 feet in Northern CS and I feel like we get lots, even though we can easily go 2-3 weeks in between snowfalls sometimes.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 AM

409 posts, read 559,484 times
Again, with respect to the snow, it depends on what part of VA.

Here in CO Springs we get snow more often than in VA - in Northern VA, Richmond, and Tidewater, at least. If you're comparing Springs to out near Front Royal and places near Shenandoah, we're not going to compare favorably.

This winter, VA is getting socked. But there are other winters when they get a 1-2" storm only once or twice. The one thing about VA weather is that sometimes a snowstorm means 2 feet at once. I grew up in the upper Midwest, where the snow that fell in October stuck around until April. But I never saw that much snow at once.

So... "lots of snow"... needs some qualification. I've gotta say, I LOVE Colorado Springs winters. We get snow on a fairly regular basis, but then we get 50 and 60 degree days in between as a bit of relief. It's great for people who like some winter, but just can't handle it all season long.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:14 AM

9,865 posts, read 6,324,102 times
I completely agree. I remember some doozies when it comes to snowstorms even in northern VA, but they were not the norm. This year is a bad year for that part of the country with regard to snow...unless you really like snow...then I guess it's a "good" year... You're not going to see that kind of snow here for the most part.

I really love the CO winter weather patterns so far, too. When I lived in Iowa, it felt like a grueling survival challenge to get through the winter. The snow and ice started and just did not let up until it was really and truly spring, and it was commonly well below zero in temperature. Ohio had some nasty, icy winters, too. Washington state usually doesn't get much snow but it's so wet that the cold creeps under your skin...a wet cold really is much more physically uncomfortable than a dry cold. Here at least winter isn't a grey season that drags on forever. You get loads of bright sun and blue skies that go on forever in between weather systems.

One thing you learn quick is to always dress in layers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteRJ View Post
Again, with respect to the snow, it depends on what part of VA.

Here in CO Springs we get snow more often than in VA - in Northern VA, Richmond, and Tidewater, at least. If you're comparing Springs to out near Front Royal and places near Shenandoah, we're not going to compare favorably.

This winter, VA is getting socked. But there are other winters when they get a 1-2" storm only once or twice. The one thing about VA weather is that sometimes a snowstorm means 2 feet at once. I grew up in the upper Midwest, where the snow that fell in October stuck around until April. But I never saw that much snow at once.

So... "lots of snow"... needs some qualification. I've gotta say, I LOVE Colorado Springs winters. We get snow on a fairly regular basis, but then we get 50 and 60 degree days in between as a bit of relief. It's great for people who like some winter, but just can't handle it all season long.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:38 PM

162 posts, read 481,360 times
I'd like to add something about the snow as well. It's good not to have snow all the time. The drivers would start to get used to it and get more brazen. I love the snow and wish we got more of it. I also love the fact that it can snow one day, you enjoy it with the kids, then it melts and you have a nice 60 degree day to enjoy other aspects. It's always changing so you never get bored with any one season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs