U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 06:17 PM

409 posts, read 558,897 times

Advertisements

Concur with the rest. For daily living, the size of Springs is just right. It's big enough to have everything, but small enough that it's only 20 minutes to cross town to something. We arrived here last July, and I have two kids. I've been to Denver only a handful of times. Ikea, Modern Bungalow, visits to friends, and trips to Colorado Fabric (because I seriously lust after some of their fabric). Now that Trader Joe's is open up there I might make the trek for that, but I wouldn't be surprised if Springs has one in the next few years.

But you might have a different lifestyle than we do. What I'd suggest is thinking back to all of the things that you've done in the last couple of weeks, and even maybe the treks you've made in the last couple of months. Then spend some quality time with GoogleMaps and see where things are at that you need or want. I remember sitting down and googling yoga studios, breweries, violin teachers, Pho restaurants, Indian restaurants, Whole Foods, farmers' markets, you get the picture. Once you've figured out what's here and what's missing, post again, and ask about the stuff that's missing. There might be local equivalents to chains that you're used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 08:37 PM

842 posts, read 1,251,330 times
I go months without going to Denver.

Charlotte: how does Mill Fabric Outlet compare to Colorado Fabric?

Old 02-25-2014, 09:02 PM

409 posts, read 558,897 times
Holly - I've only been to each a couple of times. CF has a bigger selection of very expensive and very lovely decorator stuff. CF has a better wool and silk selection. Mill Fabric outlet has more quilters cottons. Mill Fabric struck me more as "what you see is what we get, and we don't know what we have", and CF is a little more open, clean, and a bit higher end. If you're looking for something and don't know exactly what you want, it's worth going to both. I think that Mill is a bit cheaper.

I've been looking for a good curtain fabric - I found some possibilities at Mill, but I found the perfect fabric (though too little of it) at CF.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:51 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,712,387 times
I find I end up in Denver about 4 to 6 times a year. It's definitely not an every week thing.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:54 AM

1,765 posts, read 1,984,317 times
For the sake of balance, Denver proper tends to vote 70%-80% liberal democrat.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:38 PM

9,824 posts, read 6,305,324 times
Also, when it comes to special shopping trips, I hear a LOT more about Castle Rock than Denver proper. Outlet stores.

But I can't imagine being all about driving out of my way to shop in today's day and age, I've got Amazon and other online sources for anything I need, that I can't get locally.

I go to Denver for the occasional museum or aquarium trip with the kids, for concerts, or to fly cheaper out of Denver's airport. It's a very easy trip to make up the road, traffic is usually nothing to worry about.

Plenty here in the Springs to do with your family too, depending on what you like and the ages of your kids. Mine sure enjoyed the penny arcade up in Manitou, and the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, and there are plenty of outdoor activities and nice parks and such. One experience I had was at first we lived out on the edge of town kind of off the beaten path. There wasn't much for my sons (12 and 14) to do out there. Then we moved into central Security-Widefield and there is a community center, a library, and a few shops and restaurants they can walk to. They are much happier. It's just something to keep in mind...sometimes the adults think that living out in the country but within a quick drive of amenities is just fine, but once kids reach a certain age they want to be able to get out to places and do this or that on their own. Even a nearby corner store gives them someplace to take a walk to, and spend a little allowance money. *shrug*

Old 02-27-2014, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,317 times
I have lived in both Colo Spgs and Denver ( Ft Collins too) and I prefered living in Denver by far. Colorado Springs is a very pretty city but I find it hectic to live there. I think part of the issue is that it grew too fast so the traffic is stressful.
There are miles of strip malls and restaurants so you can shop to your heart's content. Looking at the mountains is the best part of living there.
I enjoyed the feeling of Denver..the neighborhoods tend to have a small town vibe. More to do there, especially if you like theatre and art.
My daughter went to St Mary's Academy in Denver..great school!
I have to say that many people who live in Colorado Springs seem to like it, especially the views. That is the only part I can relate to. I find people in Denver to be interesting and creative. JMHO

Old 02-27-2014, 10:09 PM

18,994 posts, read 8,914,315 times
I've been here in COS for 4 years now, and frankly I'm disappointed in it. To me, COS living is "not bad", but that's also "not good". I find it rather boring intellectually. The malls here are substandard, when I really need to buy clothes I head for Park Meadows. If I want to do museums or lectures, I head to Denver. If I want to drive west, I often head to Denver to hit I-70, although depending on your destination, US-50 may suffice.

I'm looking at Phoenix area now.

But, I also have to admit that I have been spoiled. I lived in the D.C. area most of my adult life, and then in Bangkok for a couple of years...a city with a population of 10 million. COS seems extremely tame to me.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:17 PM

2,819 posts, read 4,241,151 times
Colorado Springs pretty much has most things you need, but on the entertainment side of things, it's pretty weak. Go to Denver to enjoy a professional sports game: Nuggets, Rockies, or Broncos. Amusement parks, shopping, etc.

Colorado Springs setup is mainly a bunch of strip malls, so you can park and shop for most things you need, but you won't have that city vibe like what you'll find in Denver. Like the previous poster said, looking at the mountains is the best thing about living here. Colorado Springs has a lot of history on the westside of town: Pikes Peak, garden of the Gods, Old Colorado City, Manitou, and more. But the sprawl of the Springs and its fast growth kind of ruined it a little.

It would've functioned much better as that unique small town right outside of Manitou Springs, now it simply serves as a giant suburb right next door to Manitou spgs.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:10 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,356,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzett41 View Post
I have lived in both Colo Spgs and Denver ( Ft Collins too) and I prefered living in Denver by far. Colorado Springs is a very pretty city but I find it hectic to live there. I think part of the issue is that it grew too fast so the traffic is stressful.
There are miles of strip malls and restaurants so you can shop to your heart's content. Looking at the mountains is the best part of living there.
I enjoyed the feeling of Denver..the neighborhoods tend to have a small town vibe. More to do there, especially if you like theatre and art.
My daughter went to St Mary's Academy in Denver..great school!
I have to say that many people who live in Colorado Springs seem to like it, especially the views. That is the only part I can relate to. I find people in Denver to be interesting and creative. JMHO
I pretty much agree with all of this, which is why I'm glad I'm as close to Denver as I am. I go toward Denver whenever I can, even if it means 15-30 minutes of extra drive time. COS people hate it when I say that Denver is much better in almost every way, but what can I do? Florida people hate it when I say that Hawaii is far superior to their alligators, bugs and waveless coastline. Are they right or am I?

Two things I will say about COS: It has great mountain views, some of the best of any US city. And it also has some really great tourist attractions like GotG and Pikes Peak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or