U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 02:33 PM

313 posts, read 360,967 times

Advertisements

I don't feel the need to go to Denver for anything. Every few months we go up to Denver for specialty shopping (American Girl store, Ikea, etc. - the new Trader Joes will probably get an occasional visit) or an airport run (it's a little bit cheaper, usually, to fly out of DIA but we use the COS airport, too) and we take the kids up in the summer to the aquarium, Elitch Garden, etc but I don't ever feel COS is lacking. I live in Northgate so a trip to the Outlet Malls in Castle Rock is maybe 20 minutes, Park Meadows Mall is 40 minutes, and the airport a little under an hour (all straight up I-25, so an easy drive). After living here 3 years I can say with certainty I would not want to live in the Denver metro area; I would miss being so close to the mountains. The views here are incredible, there is more of a feeling of space around you, the cost of housing (actual cost and property tax) is so much less and the people are really nice. I have lived in San Francisco, Honolulu, and New York City (as well as small towns like lovely Enid, OK and Vacaville, CA) and Colorado Springs can hold its own against any of them. It IS a city...not as sprawling or big as Denver, but still a city with everything a family needs day to day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 05:22 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,362,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMac View Post
I live in Northgate so a trip to the Outlet Malls in Castle Rock is maybe 20 minutes, Park Meadows Mall is 40 minutes, and the airport a little under an hour (all straight up I-25, so an easy drive).
From Northgate? You need to start your timer when you open your car door at home and stop it when you get through the door of wherever you're headed at the other end. No way are Castle Rock Outlets 20 minutes form Northgate, even if you have a ramp from your garage to I-25 north. And how is is DIA "straight up I-25"?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to rip your post apart, but for the sake of accurate info for the OP, I think it's worth clarifying. Even if/when the I-25 project is totally done and working well, it will still be more like 30 minutes to Castle Rock Outlets and over an hour to the airport (assuming I-25 to E-470 (A $7+ one way toll) is completely clear for you)

Old 02-28-2014, 05:42 PM

20,349 posts, read 37,876,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
From Northgate? You need to start your timer when you open your car door at home and stop it when you get through the door of wherever you're headed at the other end. No way are Castle Rock Outlets 20 minutes form Northgate, even if you have a ramp from your garage to I-25 north. And how is is DIA "straight up I-25"?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to rip your post apart, but for the sake of accurate info for the OP, I think it's worth clarifying. Even if/when the I-25 project is totally done and working well, it will still be more like 30 minutes to Castle Rock Outlets and over an hour to the airport (assuming I-25 to E-470 (A $7+ one way toll) is completely clear for you)
In the interest of objectivity, Northgate is at I-25 exit 156 and the Outlets in Castle Rock are at exit 184; that's 28 miles. I'd call it a 30-minute drive. I'm at exit 153 and I get to the USAirPark lot at DIA in 75 minutes without speeding. True that it's not "straight up" I-25 but that's just a figure of speech. I use I-25 to the toll road.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
In the interest of objectivity, Northgate is at I-25 exit 156 and the Outlets in Castle Rock are at exit 184; that's 28 miles. I'd call it a 30-minute drive. I'm at exit 153 and I get to the USAirPark lot at DIA in 75 minutes without speeding. True that it's not "straight up" I-25 but that's just a figure of speech. I use I-25 to the toll road.
A thirty minute freeway drive, plus 5-10 minutes at either end to get to and from the freeway, right? Yes, 75 minutes sounds about right for DIA = over an hour (via tollway or at off hours via I-225/Pena). And last time I flew (a couple weeks ago) we had a 9am flight from DIA and it took me 1:45 and Frontier would not let us on the plane because I was only 40 minutes early (instead of 45+)… so plan for that.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:52 AM

5,016 posts, read 6,710,850 times
I live down near Fountain/Security/Widefield so I always add 30 minutes to advertised commute times from Colorado Springs to things in the Denver area and it seems to be about right.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:36 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,719,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm looking at Phoenix area now.

But, I also have to admit that I have been spoiled. I lived in the D.C. area most of my adult life, and then in Bangkok for a couple of years...a city with a population of 10 million. COS seems extremely tame to me.
Having to live in D.C. seems like one of the worst punishments anyone could endure. I can see how it might change things. I've lost track of how many financial firms have asked me if I'd be interested in working in DC / Baltimore. Sadly, they are not interested in telecommuting. They just want to push people to live in traffic, bad weather, and over priced homes.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:15 AM

19,045 posts, read 8,945,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Having to live in D.C. seems like one of the worst punishments anyone could endure. I can see how it might change things. I've lost track of how many financial firms have asked me if I'd be interested in working in DC / Baltimore. Sadly, they are not interested in telecommuting. They just want to push people to live in traffic, bad weather, and over priced homes.
Punishment? You mean like a dozen great museums, half-a-dozen great art galleries, the Kennedy Center and National Theatre, Georgetown, Old Town Alexandria, great parks, fine restaurants, the subway, the Potomac, the national memorials, and more. Yeah, real torture to have a cultural scene.

And the weather. An occasional light ice storm, true. Almost never a wind storm like here.

Day trips to Baltimore, Richmond, Civil War battlefields, Annapolis, the Blue Ridge Parkway, colonial Williamsburg.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:24 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,719,755 times
The weather. Oppressive heat and humidity in the summer. The heat would be okay without the humidity, but I don't care for the combination. Cloudy and rainy in the winter. Definitely not something I would want to endure.

The museums and art galleries are spectacular, but the traffic getting there would ruin the evening for me. Not to mention the sheer cost of housing would make it difficult to have money left over for anything else.

No disrespect. I thoroughly enjoy your posts. It was meant only as a friend jab. I love the windstorms here, and the thunderstorms. I love not having humidity. I love not running into heavy traffic. While we are missing out on those museums, it is something I would enjoy only once every couple of months, while I would be stuck with the high cost of living and the rage of terrible traffic every day. Of course, we have different preferences for weather. Since weather, COL, and traffic are my top 3 categories in rating any city, it is logical we would have different preferences.

Since I would try to avoid riding the Subway, and don't care to pay the outrageous prices at fine restaurants, I'm afraid I would miss out on some of the benefits. Perhaps worst of all though would be the potential frequency with which I would meet the complete idiots each state has selected to send to Washington DC. Judging by the complete failure of our house (of representatives) and senate, you would think we were electing people to exile from our own state rather than people to represent us.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:01 AM

I lived in Washington DC for three years in the late 80's and it was indeed very much like a prison sentence to me. But I was young and without much positive going on in my life so my attitude probably had a lot to do with it. So, right or wrong, I still consider pretty much everything east of I-25 essentially useless and mostly suitable for people who know no better. But I've no desire to tell all of them that!

Old 03-03-2014, 01:10 PM

808 posts, read 1,178,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
So, right or wrong, I still consider pretty much everything east of I-25 essentially useless and mostly suitable for people who know no better. But I've no desire to tell all of them that!
That's funny. I routinely tell my eye-rolling wife "the East Coast starts at roughly DIA, far as I'm concerned." I might take the kids on a driving tour of Civil War battlefields someday, but for the most part everything I care to do/see exists between the Pacific Ocean and a north/south line running from the eastern Montana/Wyoming state borders straight down to the Rio Grande. Heading to the Oregon coast to hike/explore that area this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or