U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 02:23 PM

9,734 posts, read 6,265,376 times

Advertisements

smdensbcs: I am so very glad I took the time to travel down the Oregon coast as we left the Pacific Northwest to move here, and we did stop along 101 to go down and check out the coastline a bit. It was very cool and very memorable. The redwoods were neat, too. Hope you have a great time!

I still feel like Virginia is "home" and I still love VA, but I'm not sure I'd want to live anywhere north of Fredericksburg, including up in DC. The cost of living and the traffic and the bugs are main things I don't care for. You know what I loved about that region far more than whatever "culture" exists in DC?? Being able to drive either out into the Shenandoahs, or down to the Outer Banks in NC, and King's Dominion for the roller coasters.

If I want a cool city culture, I'd rather go to any number of CA cities or Portland or Seattle. Or even Richmond, VA as it's actually gaining traction as an arts and music hub now (at least on a strictly underground level, but I know a lot of people involved.) I'd love to visit Tampa again, or Austin TX. There are many things that appeal to me in various places from an "I'd love to visit" standpoint. But I think that there are a lot of drawbacks when it comes to daily lifestyle in DC. I'm not going to a museum every day. But I will likely have to drive in traffic everyday, make sure my domicile remains free of roaches or fleas, and probably pay twice as much for housing...just stuff that makes it not really worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 04:33 PM

409 posts, read 557,836 times
I just drove to the airport (DIA) from Greyhawk in Northgate. Just about an hour from home to my parking spot in economy. It's just over a half hour to Ikea from here. It's only about 2 minutes from front door to freeway in this neighborhood, so going to Denver is a total piece of cake. Remember, you can drive 80 on I-25 if there's not much for traffic, and that shaves a lot off of the trip.

I'm planning on starting a school program up in Denver in a few years. I won't love driving every day, but I clocked it from driving past my exit last night to home, and it was only 46 minutes. Of course, that's from driving past the exit, and I'm not counting parking, shuttles, etc., but it could be a lot worse. My commute won't be that much longer than my husband's to Schriever.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:13 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,593,766 times
We recently had to leave Co. Springs due to my husband's job but we really loved it there. Our kids are young too so I think I know what you are looking for. In the summer, COS has tons of outdoor things to do; the zoo is fantastic, lots of hiking and exploring. We loved the minor league baseball games as well. No need to go to Denver in the summer really. However in the winter, things were a little more challenging with the kids. We did end up in Denver a few times a month for their great museums, aquarium, Broncos and Avalanche games. Concerts, plays and better restaurants had us driving to Denver as well. However, we could get to most areas in Denver in no more than an hour usually, and the drive is BEAUTIFUL, so it was no trouble at all. The one thing that really made us consider living in Denver vs the Springs was the airport and all of the direct flights. So many flights out of the Springs were connecting in Denver, lol. So if you fly alot or think you'll have lots of family, look into the connection situation out of the Springs. But overall, the quality of life is slower in the Springs, cheaper, and by far, prettier. We'd choose it again in a heartbeat.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:01 PM

574 posts, read 623,270 times
I agree with what others have posted; I never need to go to Denver for anything, but it's an easy and very scenic drive for an occasional day trip. I do sometimes go up to Ikea or whatever, but generally I find it's easier to shop Amazon or other online stores than drive all over anyway.

I second the recommendation for the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs, and prefer it to the larger Denver Zoo. Lots of great places to hike with kids in Colorado Springs and you don't have to drive far to get to them. One thing I miss here is that we never get enough snow for sledding or X-C ski in the city, though.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:16 AM

2,139 posts, read 5,483,318 times
Yes. I leave for: good restaurants, concerts, airport, retail cannabis, visit my raw milk-share farm, hot springs, skiing.

Also - for some shopping.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:34 PM

841 posts, read 1,248,802 times
I have to say it takes 20-30 minutes for me to go to Grayhawk area... so really, realize how large SF-wise the Springs is... if you're looking in the north part of the Springs, it can really take a good amount just to make it downtown. If you live by the interstate, it may be faster, I suppose.

When my husband got his grad degree from CU Denver, he drove up there (center of Denver) in an hour, when we lived off South Academy & I-25 (basically). However, he drove at off-peak times and was likely going a bit over the speed limit :P

Old 03-10-2014, 04:50 AM

5,003 posts, read 6,678,903 times
Has anyone been to the new Colorado History museum thing in Denver - is it worth the trip out of Colorado Springs?

Old 03-10-2014, 04:30 PM

21 posts, read 45,004 times
smdensbcs & sonic_sporks: you might both think I'm nuts for doing this.

I'm considering a move to COS from Oregon, possibly within the next month and a half for work. Would either of you consider direct messages? I've got some specific questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or