U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 12:10 PM

17 posts, read 24,690 times

Advertisements

Hello,

In June my husband, I, our 3 daughters (age 8, 4, 2), and dog will be moving to Colorado Springs or the Denver area. We are currently in South Lake Tahoe, CA, originally from the Chicago-area. I like the prices better in CoS. On the other hand I like the idea of being close to Denver (big city, major hub.) And I have found good schools in both places. But, what is it like living in CoS? Do you need to make trips to Denver for anything? It seems the springs has all the shopping you would need but what about for entertainment or more specialty stores? Does CoS lack in that area? Is there stuff for kids to do? I always like to make sure there is stuff for my family to do outside when its sunny and inside when its too rainy or too cold. Does CoS have this or would Denver be better?

Any help is appreciated! TIA

Last edited by ChiTownChristina; 02-25-2014 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 12:49 PM

20,327 posts, read 37,840,000 times
We live on the far north end of the city, think I-25 exit 153. We go to Denver metro area once in a while for things like Nordstrom's or Cheesecake Factory (Park Center Mall, 45 minutes) or to downtown Denver to see major league sports like the Rockies, Broncos, Avalanche or Nuggets. Might go to Denver occasionally to see shows or museums or some unique eateries.

Really don't need to leave COLO SPGS for anything. Just got a Bass Pro / Outdoor World and will get more as time goes by.

We don't have In N Out Burger in COLO, but we have great burgers just the same, like Smashburger.

Weather is mostly good here, not too many rainy days. Denver does have more stuff to do, like indoor skydiving, but that's only an hour from here.

Denver airport is 60-75 minutes north, depending on where one might live here and/or traffic. I'm 25 minutes from the COLO SPGS airport but it has way too few flights and usually higher fares.

Downtown Denver is about a 90-minute drive for me.

Traffic here is easier than Denver, housing a good deal cheaper, and there's a good chance you can live very close to work (can you tell us about the job?).

An occasional trip to Denver for a very unique specialty store may be needed, but I can't think of anything that I can't get locally or off the web.

Use ppar.com to look at home for sale or rent in COLO SPGS. Lots more home here for the money, you could save up to $200k on housing here which makes the occasional trip to Denver a minor issue.

Politics here tends to be consistently 60% GOP/conservative which may be an issue for some people.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Traffic here is easier than Denver, housing a good deal cheaper, and there's a good chance you can live very close to work (can you tell us about the job?).
My husband is an MDT for Toyota. He has talked to all the major Toyota dealerships in Denver and CoSprings and they have all offered him a job over the phone and expressed regret that he couldn't start until the summer. So far he has been offered a job at Lakewood Toyota, Larry H Miller Liberty Toyota, Autonation, Greenwood Lexus, Groove Toyota and Larry H Miller Toyota. So since we can really move anywhere, I want to make sure we make the right decision. CoSprings fits in our budget a lot better ($200-300K) but I don't want to be driving to Denver every other week for something. But from what you said it sounds like I probably wont have to.

Quote:
Politics here tends to be consistently 60% GOP/conservative which may be an issue for some people.
Not a problem

Old 02-25-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Use ppar.com to look at home for sale or rent in COLO SPGS. Lots more home here for the money, you could save up to $200k on housing here which makes the occasional trip to Denver a minor issue.

Great website, thank you.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:28 PM

577 posts, read 671,461 times
Like Mike said, you should not have to drive to Denver on a regular basis at all. We drive there a few times a year to watch pro sports (Avalanche Hockey) an occasional visit to Six Flags Elitch Gardens in the summer with our nieces or a visit to the Natural History Museum which is very good.

As far as shopping Colorado Springs has anything I could ever need and of course the internet (love Amazon). But Denver area does have an Ikea, Cabelas and Trader Joes. I have never really understood the draw of Ikea, not my cup of tea, but Cabelas is nice although with our new Bass Pro Shop that fills that nitch!

Old 02-25-2014, 01:43 PM

808 posts, read 1,177,541 times
We've lived in COS for 12 years and have had kids for 10 of those years. We leave the Springs to:

ski/snowboard
visit family
go to occassional MLB/NFL game
experience a higher-eschelon of arts/culture

That's about it. Only family and sports events involve Denver. Higher-end arts/culture always involves driving south to Taos (3.5 hours) and/or Santa Fe (4.5 hours), never Denver. The Denver arts scene is larger than CO Springs (for obvious reasons) but in our experience is not substantively "better" in the way of Taos and Santa Fe. Nobody flies into Denver from Europe or New York to go to museums, galleries, buy art, or go to opera, like they routinely do in Taos and Santa Fe, which are truly world class cultural hubs with rich histories. Taos (population 5,000) probably has a deeper arts culture than Denver (population 3 million) and CO Springs (population 500K) put together. Nothing against Denver, it's "culture" is just not worth the 1 hour drive from the Springs unless there's some band you need to see at Red Rocks, which is an amazing natural amphitheater.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:25 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,085,913 times
If you can make a short trip out to check out Colorado Springs and Denver before you make a decision, that would be advised. I agree with the others that you don't need to go to Denver for most things. The only times I head up there are for concerts (more venues, variety and bigger names in Denver than here in the Springs), an occasional trip to a museum or to a fancier mall than we have here in the Springs, or to DIA (usually cheaper flights than COS, or direct flights you cannot get from COS).

Old 02-25-2014, 05:00 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,356,571 times
We live at the very northern end of El Paso county, so we're pretty close to 1/2 way between Springs and Denver (though COS is definitely our metro). We don't NEED to leave Springs for much of anything, but we like our location because we prefer Denver for:
1) Airport - DIA has direct flights almost everywhere, often for less $$ and it's hardly any further for us to get to if we use the toll road (which we factor into the price of the flight)
2) Hospital - We go to Sky Ridge Med Center whenever we can because it's one of the nicest, most well-equipped hospitals in the country -- you'll probably want good coverage if you go there though.
3) Sports - for obvious reasons
4) Museums/Attractions - Wildlife Experience, Art Museum, Aquarium, Buttrfly Pavillion, Mint... to name a few.
5) Shopping - We rarely go to malls, but when we do we vastly prefer Park Meadows (in Lone Tree) or the Outlets (in Castle Rock) over anything COS offers in any one place. Bass Pro is fun to look at but it's largely useless unless you don't know how to use amazon.com.

We go to COS for:
1) Costco and Go Lite (the latter is a CO-based company and we could go to one up in Denver, but the COS one is a lot closer for us)
2) The Zoo - a really unique, excellent zoo, one of the better ones I've been to anywhere (and I've been to a lot of 'em)
3) To get to Hwy 24 or Hwy 50 and the High Country beyond - Skiing and other Mtn adventures are much more pleasant and interesting in Southern Colorado than anything you'll get along the I-70 corridor.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:32 PM

20,327 posts, read 37,840,000 times
Nice thing is that it really isn't an "either or" situation, we have TWO fine cities to choose from, COLO SPGS and Denver (plus Golden and Boulder).

Driving an hour to Denver isn't a big deal; when we lived in Northern Virginia we'd drive an hour in cutthroat traffic for a show in DC at the Kennedy Center. I can go to Denver to see pro sports, or stay local and see AAA baseball or college sports, i.e., got to see Notre Dame football when it came to town to play Air Force last fall.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:03 PM

482 posts, read 930,400 times
Everyone else got it covered. I leave the Springs for fun, on occassion, but for day-to-day living, there isn't a need to. The city has everything you'll need but whatever may be missing in your life can be found fairly nearby. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or