U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 05:44 PM

3 posts, read 3,238 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

I've been reading through some of the threads here about COS. Thanks for all of the helpful information. In September, my fiance and I will be relocating to Colorado Springs from PA (suburb of Philly.) We can't wait.

We've gone back and forth about where we'd like to live. We've narrowed it down to Fountain Valley, Old Colorado City was a thought, or we might simply try to get as far north as we can (within our budget of course.) Currently, we're leaning toward Fountain Valley.

We're basically looking for a fixer upper in a nice neighborhood. I guess I'm here to ask what the locals think.

We've done a ton of research already. Neither of us have ever been, but I feel like we have. I mean, to the point where we've used Google's street view to "drive" around most of town. I realize that doesn't compare to actually being there. It was just an example of the exhaustive research we've both done.

Our original catalyst for wanting to move was housing affordability. If we want to remain at our current positions, we'd have to drive over an hour to work in order to be able to purchase a home. Not to mention, we'd end up in a very undesirable neighborhood. There are numerous other reasons. However, I don't want to write a novel.

Our budget is very low. We want to keep our payments at about half of what we now pay in a rental. We're intend to have a lot of reserve money which will help us get on our feet, and allow us to remodel the home we purchase.

Before I forget, we have a dog and intend to get another once we arrive. So, we're going to need a yard.

I guess that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 05:58 PM

20,329 posts, read 37,847,549 times
What type of work and where is work going to be; and tell us the budget for housing.

There are fixers around, but flippers tend to scarf them up rather quickly.

Look at ppar.com for both rentals and home sales.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:12 PM

Mike from back east:

She's been the manager of a cosmetic department for a while and I've worked in all facets of construction. I currently own and operate my own landscape construction business. We intend to start applying for jobs near the end of August. Neither of us have any leads yet. We hope to work in Colorado Springs.

We're sort of flexible with the budget. The goal is to find something that needs work. As I mentioned, I''m in construction and we'd like to make a place our own. We've been looking at $80,000 getting us what we're looking for. I know that limits our options. However, we're also trying to limit our risk. We also intend to get there with enough to cover our expenses for 8-9 months.

We've noticed. Two houses that we were interested in have already been purchased. We already have a broker. Our intent is to wait until late May early June to purchase something. We're still in the early phases of this.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:05 PM

Thanks for the added info. I think you'll do just fine here.

A quick search of ppar.com for all areas of COLO SPGS with a max of $80k reveals 39 SFH properties for sale, most of which are being sold as-is and/or foreclosures.

Bumping it up to $90k finds 62 properties, some of which you may be able to offer $80k and end up owning.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:17 PM

727 posts, read 1,136,442 times
When you get here, if you want a little slice of Philly, stop by Trivelli's on North Nevada, just south of Fillmore on the north side of downtown. It's a little sandwich place with authentic Philly cheesesteaks and subs. Owners are from South Philly. Nice folks.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera32 View Post
When you get here, if you want a little slice of Philly, stop by Trivelli's on North Nevada, just south of Fillmore on the north side of downtown. It's a little sandwich place with authentic Philly cheesesteaks and subs. Owners are from South Philly. Nice folks.
YES on Trivelli's. He's got a slightly larger place these days, just a few steps from his old place that was the size of a phone booth. I like to say that he's "from the old country" by which I mean South Philly.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:24 PM

Thank you. Believe it or not, earlier today I was actually thinking about that and one of the places I found. Good info.

What about asian cuisine? Any recommendations?

Old 03-03-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyingincolorado View Post
Thank you. Believe it or not, earlier today I was actually thinking about that and one of the places I found. Good info.

What about asian cuisine? Any recommendations?
Look in this index thread, under food, for a listing of food threads in this forum. We have plenty of Chinese, Japanese, Thai and Sushi places here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs