U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_wilber View Post
Get out of FLA while you can! That state is a mess, as you well know. My son and I just moved to COS last month. We came from the Tampa area and its going to take some time to get used to it.
A couple of things to keep in mind before you move...
Colorado does have a State Income Tax, however a much lower sales tax. Ends up about the same.
Auto Insurance is higher and I can see why now. People drive a little crazy here.
Get ready for Auto Tag shock! $71 for registration in FLA, forget about that. More like $300 to $400 for a newer vehicle here.
Grocery prices?? I would have to say it is more expensive here.
High speed Internet? They are a little behind the times out here and you pay out the nose for it.
Housing is cheaper, or at least you get more for the money.
Gas prices are about the same...so far. Maybe a little cheaper, like 2 to 3 cents.

I love the weather, so far. It gets chilly at night, right now its like November in FLA. Cool at night, 50's, but warms up nicely during the day. Not sure what to expect later on.
The people are much nicer, I have yet to meet a rude person. Most people are very considerate and willing to at least say "HI".

I for one, am going to enjoy it here (after I adjust to the time-zone and get rid of this annoying headache). The views, the climate and the people make this a great place to be.
Not so sure about my son, he grew up in FLA. I think after he enrolls in College and starts to make friends, he will like it a lot better. I hope...
My fiance and I will be getting married December 30th of this year, then by next June when our lease is up we want to RUN not walk out of Tampa Florida forever. We both HATE it with a passion. It's mostly the type of people that live here, entitled snobs that spend money on their husbands credit cards and such and everbody's just rude. I grew up here, born and raised Tampa Floridian, but I've been outside of the state enough to know there is much better out there, my Fiance was born and raised in Albuquerque New Mexico so he loves the west. We visited Colorado on vacation once for a nice long camping trip ( we love the outdoors which is something else you can't do in Florida ) we hit Boulder, went through Lyons so we could go to Oskar Blues, Estes Park then back out to Denver where we started. The State is simply breathtaking everywhere. We have yet to visit Co. Springs which is where we intend to move. My fiance works information security for Verizon and they have an office next to Garden of the Gods, so he keeps his job and we just move. All we need is a clear estimate on a 3 day move out there. Also what are some safe areas of Colorado Springs near Garden of the Gods? And whats the equivilent of Publix out there? I currently work for Publix and I can say the only thing I'm going to miss is that and Disney World.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 12:28 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKorecki25 View Post
My fiance and I will be getting married December 30th of this year, then by next June when our lease is up we want to RUN not walk out of Tampa Florida forever. We both HATE it with a passion. It's mostly the type of people that live here, entitled snobs that spend money on their husbands credit cards and such and everbody's just rude. I grew up here, born and raised Tampa Floridian, but I've been outside of the state enough to know there is much better out there, my Fiance was born and raised in Albuquerque New Mexico so he loves the west. We visited Colorado on vacation once for a nice long camping trip ( we love the outdoors which is something else you can't do in Florida ) we hit Boulder, went through Lyons so we could go to Oskar Blues, Estes Park then back out to Denver where we started. The State is simply breathtaking everywhere. We have yet to visit Co. Springs which is where we intend to move. My fiance works information security for Verizon and they have an office next to Garden of the Gods, so he keeps his job and we just move. All we need is a clear estimate on a 3 day move out there. Also what are some safe areas of Colorado Springs near Garden of the Gods? And whats the equivilent of Publix out there? I currently work for Publix and I can say the only thing I'm going to miss is that and Disney World.

Thanks for finding an old thread to hitch onto, but I've made your post a new thread that is just your thread so you can keep us advised of your progress as things move along and so you may ask follow on question. You're gonna love it here.

The area up along Garden of the Gods is plenty safe and nice. I like it up along Centennial Blvd but avoid being near the rock quarry that's up there on the hillside; the trucks rumble along all day and will for a few more years until it shuts down and is reclaimed. Look in the Rockrimmon area too, very nice stuff.

Use ppar.com for rentals or homes for sale. Padmapper.com is good for rentals but beware of scammers on craigslist.

I'd say it's a 3-day drive from Tampa, we did a 3-day from the DC area. Kansas is flat, you can easily click off 700 miles in a day on that terrain via I-70. Also consider taking I-40 and then up I-25 over Raton Pass for some good scenery.

If you hire a mover for your household goods, be sure to get a BINDING ESTIMATE from a reputable van line, else you may be ripped off by some low-bid scammer. If you have little furniture, you may want to sell it locally and buy new out here. Look at furniture prices on this major seller in COLO.

We have fine supermarkets, my faves are Costco and King Soopers (KS). KS is formerly a local chain that's now part of the Kroger empire with many locations. Also have Safeway, Whole Foods, Sprouts, Super Target, Wal-Mart and Sam's Club. Denver is now getting Trader Joe's if you're familiar with that specialty chain.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-03-2014 at 12:36 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 12:31 PM

482 posts, read 927,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKorecki25 View Post
Colorado Springs is a beautiful city and compared to Tampa, a whole other world. From the sounds of your situation, that's a good thing. There aren't any "unsafe" areas around Garden of the Gods. Compared to many large cities, there aren't any "ghettos" in Colorado Springs. North of GOG tends to be more suburban, with tract houses and modern apartment complexes. South tends to be older, more established neighborhoods and a little further south gets you into Old Colorado City, which is, well, old. It's a lot of Victorian homes built in the late 1800's/ early 1900's. None of these areas are "bad," however the least desireable to most people would be in the area of Fillmore and I-25. It really depends on the type of neighborhood you'd like.

As for Publix, there are supermarket chains here. Safeway, Albertson's, King Soopers but none of them are structured like Publix, which I believe is employee owned. I can't think of anything comparable to that here in the Springs.

Good luck with your move and welcome to Colorado!

Old 03-05-2014, 08:15 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,702,524 times
Congrats on your move. I'd second the recommendation to sell heavy furniture when possible and buy new out here, assuming money is an important concern for you. Since you mentioned the entitled snobs out there, I assume you didn't inherit or nepotism your way into a fortune.

My wife and I got a great couch and love seat from a very nice upper middle class home for 200 bucks total. Granted, my wife watched craigslist for about two weeks to find that deal come up and we bought it hours after it was posted. It's not that craigslist is dead out here or anything, but good furniture at a good price goes FAST. Of course, over priced crap goes pretty slow

Old 03-05-2014, 09:10 AM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Congrats on your move. I'd second the recommendation to sell heavy furniture when possible and buy new out here, assuming money is an important concern for you. Since you mentioned the entitled snobs out there, I assume you didn't inherit or nepotism your way into a fortune.

My wife and I got a great couch and love seat from a very nice upper middle class home for 200 bucks total. Granted, my wife watched craigslist for about two weeks to find that deal come up and we bought it hours after it was posted. It's not that craigslist is dead out here or anything, but good furniture at a good price goes FAST. Of course, over priced crap goes pretty slow
Yes, you can get some quality furniture off of craigslist and some of the consignment shops here. BTDT.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,390 times
Good for you... You'll be leaving one of the worst states we have. You do need to be ready for something called winter. Colorado can still be cold in June!

King Soopers is the Publix, but there isn't really anything like Publix except Publix. I still miss those subs. However I do not miss Florida and its trashy, crazyness one teeny tiny bit. Colorado is much more normal even with its problems.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:54 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,702,524 times
Was Publix like Winco, for anyone that has been there? It sounded like it at first, but I wouldn't have compared King Soopers to Winco beyond stating that they were both grocery stores because Winco regularly had better values than Walmart, and King Soopers regularly overcharges for things. The subs are the only thing I go there for, and they started jacking up the price on those, so I haven't set foot in a KS for several months.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:43 PM

5,005 posts, read 6,681,120 times
King Soopers is Kroger in most other places. For regular grocery chains in our area (not specialty like Whole Foods) - they have the most variety of brands and items a little more than Safeway, and a lot more than the rest. As for prices, they tend to do better on coupons than most other grocery stores, but their prices vary item to item - I do find some things cheaper there than other chains, so they are not unilaterally higher.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,761 times
Thanks guys! I lived in AZ for a summer internship and the grocery there was Safeway I'm familar with that. Yeah, nothing in the world like Publix. 100% debt free, employee owned, clean and the subs are fantastic! Will miss, but not Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or