U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 05:21 PM

10 posts, read 8,972 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
My husband just accepted a job in Colorado Springs and we need to find a place to live. We currently reside in New Hampshire. What is the easiest way to find a rental while living across the country? I tried responding to a couple of listings on craigslist and padmapper, but most of landlords want nothing to do with someone currently living out of state.

Any recommendations for decent townhome/condo/apartment communities? And are there any nearby towns worth looking into besides living directly in Colorado Springs? Our rental budget is $1,400 a month. We have two children, one who is starting school this year. We would appreciate the help.. Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 05:38 PM

20,301 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Try ppar.com which is the local MLS site and also has rentals that aren't scams like much of craigslist.

Where is his job located?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:49 PM

10 posts, read 8,972 times
Thank you, Mike! I see a handful of nice looking rentals on that website in our price range. He will be a transport driver for Borden Dairy. I am not exactly 100% sure where in Colorado Springs it is located at the moment, except on the southwest side of Colorado Springs.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:18 PM

20,301 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg8488 View Post
Thank you, Mike! I see a handful of nice looking rentals on that website in our price range. He will be a transport driver for Borden Dairy. I am not exactly 100% sure where in Colorado Springs it is located at the moment, except on the southwest side of Colorado Springs.
IIRC the Sinton Dairy firm here is now a part of the Borden firm; got some in the fridge now.

If it's the Sinton plant it's along I-25 a bit north of downtown, essentially centrally located in the area but there may be another plant I"m not aware of. If you can nail down the work address or nearest cross streets that would let us advise you better, but still, this is not that big of an area that commuting will be a big deal for him.

Better school districts here are 8, 11, 12, 20, 38 and 49. D11 is the main city area, D12 in the southwest area, D8 in the Fountain area, D20 on the north end of town, D38 on the far north end of the county and D49 out east of town. Best to avoid D2, not the best reputation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:41 PM

9,734 posts, read 6,265,376 times
Also, 1400/month is plenty, you should have great options for that, you can easily be in a nice house if you want.

You've got a similar conundrum to what I had. We did a military move here and I'm vehemently opposed to living on base, so I was trying really hard to secure a home for us to move into. I signed a lease, paid my deposit, made arrangements for utilities, etc before beginning the 5 day road trip to come here with the kids. When I arrived, I found that my rental house was not ready to be lived in and had been maintained poorly for years, but I had no real recourse but to stick it out for a year....it was "my bad" for having made such an agreement sight-unseen. Also the property management I dealt with um...initials of the company were CC, owned by a couple with a very unusual last name...they were OK to deal with in some respects but I was really very put out about the condition of the property when I arrived. They had weeks to fix it up, after I committed and paid money to hold it, and they knew the date of my arrival. They went in about 5 days prior to my getting there, after it had sat vacant for months. A pipe had burst, rodents had got in...many things were very sloppily dealt with or not fixed at all. The pictures of the place looked very nice on the listing. They'd been taken YEARS PRIOR.

And you can't really trust Craigslist. Lots of scammers on Craigslist. I would never, ever, ever agree to something like a lease, or pay any money, from a distance, sight unseen using Craigslist.

If you can possibly manage to make connections and plan to look at a short-list of properties, but not commit to anything until you see it, and stay in a hotel or something for even just a few days while you make your choice and get everything set for it...if you can make that happen I would really recommend it. Otherwise, if you can find something with less than a year lease available, get into that if you can't see it first.

All of that said, another site I enjoyed using was rentals.com--good for searching by zipcode.

Good luck and if you need any advice about any more specific areas in town, do let us know!

Old 03-09-2014, 07:16 PM

13,112 posts, read 18,707,927 times
Default rental prices in the Springs

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-k1ofT54D-d.../s1600/cs3.jpg

Last edited by davebarnes; 03-09-2014 at 07:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs