U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 07:57 AM

45 posts, read 83,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
At least we're getting a Trader Joe's here next year, we transplants from many states will have one more good choice.
That's great! I was a little disappointed that there wasn't any TJ store in COS. Now if Wegman's would go national... One thing that has spoiled me about the East Coast is having Wegman's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteRJ View Post
This. We absolutely insisted on a "sanity trip" before we made the decision to move out. Don't spend it touristing, spend it driving around the places you think you'll exist.
Already planned. I wouldn't make such a major move without a trip or two first. My family and I will be there for about a week or so for the initial visit. Will definitely look at several residential neighborhoods mentioned as well as the general commercial/business areas.

Where is a good place to stay? Is the Broadmoor pretty nice?

Thanks again everybody. You all have been very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 08:42 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,095,001 times
The Broadmoor is very highly regarded here, and if you are looking at homes in D12, that would put you right there. Also, if you prefer being downtown, there is the Mining Exchange which just opened recently and is supposed to be nice.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:10 AM

20,372 posts, read 37,921,184 times
The Broadmoor is a AAA-rated 5-Diamond resort hotel and you'll pay plenty for staying there, though their Sunday brunch in the Lake Terrace Room is NOT to be missed. All parking there is by valet and you can wear clean casual to the brunch (no sweatsuits), no need for Sunday suits, reservations suggested. It's out on far s.w. fringe of the city, backs up to the foothills, is stunning, but requires a fair amount of driving to see all the parts of the town you'll want to visit. The place has 11 eateries, including the Penrose Room, which is Colorado only 5-diamond restaurant - a "proper attire" kind of place that's great for special occasions.

Staying downtown at the new Mining Exchange aka Wyndham Grand at Nevada and Pikes Peak is a good idea, thank you Beezle. The building was redone from top to bottom by an attorney who has done an incredible job turning it into a superb hotel, story on that is here. There's a great Cajun eatery next door (Springs Orleans), and a locally owned movie house next to that (Kimballs) which features bar service (how very civilized!). From that location it's a short hop onto I-25 to go north to Briargate, Pine Creek, Monument, etc, or south to the Broadmoor area.

I do some hanging out in the downtown area and can tell you that it is safe. Staying downtown (which isn't all that big or crowded - NOTHING like DC) also puts you near Colorado Ave that takes you west into the area known as Old Colorado City (OCC) with its somewhat "Old Town" kind of shops and eateries and just west of OCC you get into Manitou Springs which IMO is a bit like Georgetown DC with its hilly streets, great eats and cool funkiness. Manitou is also where you can get the cog railway to the top of Pikes Peak (TIP: It's always 30-degrees colder up top and is usually blowing a gale, but is worth doing if time permits).

Staying downtown puts you near a lot of good eats, like The Famous Steakhouse or the authentic Jack Quinn's irish Pub (home to a large and very active local running club), plus a whole lot more. It's a smallish downtown, you can usually fine a parking meter on the street and the meters take dimes and quarters - try finding a meter in downtown DC (BTDT for 30 years).

If you should explore the Old North End Neighborhood (ONEN) which is just north of downtown, stop for coffee and a Cuban sandwich at Dog Tooth Coffee at the corners of Corona and Columbia Sts, adjacent to Shooks Run Trail.

My bottom line: I'd recommend the Wyndham Grand as a better choice for your scouting trip. Broadmoor is unique and gorgeous but it is pricey and is a bit remote for checking out all the neighborhoods; its eateries and grounds can be visited at any time once living here or even on your trip.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-20-2014 at 11:23 AM..

Old 03-20-2014, 11:15 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,728,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MF001 View Post
Sonic_Spork, those bear videos are hilarious. Many thanks for the laughter. As for venomous snakes, I've never run into one in Northern Virginia, even in the woods. Infinity of Lyme disease-bearing ticks, yes, but I think copperheads are not that common. Besides, aren't those much less venomous than rattlesnakes? There are folks in West Virginia (in the hill country that they call mountains) who catch copperheads and they get bitten all the time. WV has had no fatality from copperheads in decades.

Carrera32, thanks again. I know with a good budget I can afford a super safe area. BUT, I'm not one of the folks who like to be turtled up in a gated community with guards. One thing I currently like about NoVA is that, in much of western Fairfax and Loudoun, families, women and children can be out and about very safely at nights, with nary a worry. I just want to make sure that my family would be able to do that in much of Colorado Springs. We don't want to be just locked up behind gates and walls after dark.
Hey MF001,

I live in the Northern part of Colorado Springs. I have no concerns about safety. I've lived in some not so nice areas, but I was usually aware of the risks. I take my dog for walks around midnight during the summer. She isn't exactly the protector kind. If there was any trouble, it would be on me to handle it. However, I feel perfectly safe strolling around the neighborhood and the streets adjacent to it. Granted, this is in part because I look like the guy that other people are concerned about.

I'd say I'm generally the scariest thing out in this neighborhood at night, and I'm an MBA student.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:22 AM

So, my wife was there for a few days. Very different from Northern Virginia is her assessment (both positive and negative). The open spaces and the empty feel really threw her off (and she's originally from a rural area). I will be heading there shortly for a final check. Before I go, I have a couple more questions about COS.

1. How transient does the city feel? We are looking for a more small town, less frenetic feel than NoVA. We also find NoVA too transient. People seem to move in and out rapidly based on career moves. How does COS compare in this regard? Does the major military presence there make it feel more or just as transient? Does it have that small town feel with residents who have been there for generations?

2. My family is Roman Catholic. While visiting there I hope to attend Mass. Which church celebrates Latin Mass (Novus Ordo or Tridentine, either one is fine)? Does COS have strong traditional Catholic parishes? Northern Virginia is a part of the Diocese of Arlington, which has a fairly traditional reputation, which my family appreciates. We are looking for a similar environment.

Thanks again, everyone.

P.S. The areas I will be checking out in detail during my visit are: the Old North End, Pine Creek/Briargate, W Woodmen and Monument. And maybe Kissing Camels (but I don't really like gated communities conceptually).

Old 06-25-2014, 05:56 AM

5,023 posts, read 6,726,898 times
I guess your wife's reaction doesn't surprise me - when I go back East I feel positively claustrophobic because everything seems so closed in, crunched together, and treed - I can't tell how people navigate or tell where anything is when you can't see anything. Here, you can see for miles most of the time and if you're not used to it you could perhaps have the opposite of my claustrophobia I get back East.

1. There is a transient sector, but also some serious small town long-term neighborhoods. So it is kind of mixed - there is a segment that is small-town been here many generations, and a lot of newer folks planning to stay a long term, and also a consistent segment of folks that are transient due to career or whatever. If you want that small town vibe, look seriously at established communities, like Fountain and Falcon (actual small towns that are in many ways part of the Springs), Old Colorado City, Ivywild, Old North End, Shooks Run, etc. Some of the neighborhoods you mentioned are newer like 1970's on, so while there may be a community feel there, it may be harder to find that many-generation-small-town feel if you stick to "newer" areas, imho. One thing to consider is that in general the East Coast is a few hundred years older and has a longer history - whereas in mountain West 150 years is about as far as settled history goes, and that's WAY back - so an old community isn't as old as back east, even early 1900's is pretty darned old here. So "generations" can be hard to get - my family may have been here about 7-8 generations, at least some lines of it, but that is going to be very rare - but finding 3-4 generations would be fairly common.

2. We have imho a pretty vibrant Catholic community but I don't know how it compared to anything back east. I'd suggest you start here: Diocs.org > Parish Directory

Old 06-25-2014, 02:13 PM

9,921 posts, read 6,352,013 times
Also, a lot of military wind up either getting out here, or coming back here, and retiring here for good. I think it's a popular choice for that. So the military doesn't always necessarily contribute to a transient population...as a lot end up here more or less permanently. I have been told that the nice areas on the West side are considered "old money" and the nice areas on the North side are considered "new money." I'm not sure if that's true, but I heard it.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:03 PM

20 posts, read 29,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MF001 View Post
So, my wife was there for a few days. Very different from Northern Virginia is her assessment (both positive and negative). The open spaces and the empty feel really threw her off (and she's originally from a rural area). I will be heading there shortly for a final check. Before I go, I have a couple more questions about COS.

1. How transient does the city feel? We are looking for a more small town, less frenetic feel than NoVA. We also find NoVA too transient. People seem to move in and out rapidly based on career moves. How does COS compare in this regard? Does the major military presence there make it feel more or just as transient? Does it have that small town feel with residents who have been there for generations?

2. My family is Roman Catholic. While visiting there I hope to attend Mass. Which church celebrates Latin Mass (Novus Ordo or Tridentine, either one is fine)? Does COS have strong traditional Catholic parishes? Northern Virginia is a part of the Diocese of Arlington, which has a fairly traditional reputation, which my family appreciates. We are looking for a similar environment.

Thanks again, everyone.

P.S. The areas I will be checking out in detail during my visit are: the Old North End, Pine Creek/Briargate, W Woodmen and Monument. And maybe Kissing Camels (but I don't really like gated communities conceptually).
1. I agree with the other poster - it strongly depends on the neighborhood. Certain areas of the city feel established, then others are very transient because of the strong military presence.

2. Immaculate Conception parish in Security is the only parish in Colorado Springs that celebrates the Latin mass (Tridentine), and really is the only parish in Colorado Springs I have found that has a traditional liturgy. It is a tight-knit, but very small community and unfortunately you won't find a large traditional Catholic community in Colorado Springs. There is a second FSSP latin Mass parish in Denver, Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltee View Post
2. Immaculate Conception parish in Security is the only parish in Colorado Springs that celebrates the Latin mass (Tridentine), and really is the only parish in Colorado Springs I have found that has a traditional liturgy. It is a tight-knit, but very small community and unfortunately you won't find a large traditional Catholic community in Colorado Springs. There is a second FSSP latin Mass parish in Denver, Our Lady of Mount Carmel.
First, thank you, Maltee, for the information. Second, Only ONE parish that celebrates Latin Mass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs