Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 06:33 AM

172 posts, read 414,471 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone. We are facing yet another military move, but the difference about this one is that I am actually pretty happy where we currently are stationed so I am having some trouble getting excited for this move. We are not sure where we are going, but my husband says that COS is top of the list.

Help me out and tell me what you love about living in Colorado Springs! I already know that it is insanely beautiful there (we visited for over a long weekend over 10 years ago - and natural beauty like that doesn't fade), so I am looking for "little" things about the community: favorite coffee shops, local restaurant, local laws that just make sense, things that set it apart from the rest of the country in a good way, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 09:53 AM

50,816 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Aside from the scenery, nothing that special. Just a place to live.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:17 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
I do love our scenery - I love hiking. I love Widefield/Security/Fountain's small town community feel. Those who grew up in it know what I'm talking about. I'm sure that can be found in some other places, though.

I love Poor Richard's downtown, and Shuga's too.

I love Garden of the Gods and North Cheyenne Canyon.

I love the Aiken Audubon Society. I love the West side and Coronado's Homecoming parade. I love the Pikes Peak Highway, the Space Symposium, and the Hot Air Balloon festival, and our many lovely parks and trails.

I love Manitou's quirky festivals and Penny Arcade.

I love people waving or nodding when you pass them on the road when you're even 5 miles out of the city. I love our cowboys and military.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:29 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
We like the dry climate and lack of bugs. Most days are sunny or mostly sunny; it seems we can count on one hand the number of days per year when the sky is totally gray all day and never see the sun. Plus all the things Otowi mentioned. Also came here for the very affordable housing compared to the DC area.

Where are you coming from?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:31 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,339 times
Coming here from southern California, I liked that you could go hiking and other places without having to fight huge crowds and traffic, or worry about being shot when you go there, or seeing graffiti on everything (if this were California, Garden of the Gods would be covered with graffiti). I liked the natural beauty here. I liked the friendliness of people. I liked the lack of traffic. I liked the price of real estate compared to California. I liked being able to live somewhere that reminded me of where I went camping in California.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:44 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
I've lived on the Western Slope of this state for over two decades now. If I had to move back to a bigger city for whatever reason I'd go to the Springs. I grew up there from '57 to '64 and loved it.

Good list by Otowi regarding activities. Every time I think of the Springs I think of that 14,110 ft. mountain that towers over the town. And the incredible view you get when you're at the top of Pikes Peak on a clear morning.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:40 PM

930 posts, read 1,654,760 times
I don't know if it's just an area that I am being increasingly interested in, but I appreciate that we have (as in other areas) a move towards local-craft goods. I love Colorado Coffee Merchants coffee- I grind the coffee every morning and it smells heavenly- all the craft beers we have, the Craft Merchants festival that is coming up in April- looking forward to that- I love that we have some businessmen in our town who do things like fix up old schools and keep everything local instead of razing the school down and doing something else (Ivywild School).

I also love how our school districts seem to close when we have about an inch of snow on the ground so we have some surprise days off here and there.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:32 PM

486 posts, read 1,497,126 times
I've heard more than a few military folks say that Colorado Springs was the best place that they have ever been posted to.

Lots to love about this area.... embrace the change! (I guess you have little choice in the matter - so just go with it!)

ps. I love the westside - Old Colorado City and Manitou Springs with all their parks and eateries. The new Ivywild school remodel (to a café/restaurant, etc.) is amazing!

Old 03-13-2014, 05:04 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
I've heard more than a few military folks say that Colorado Springs was the best place that they have ever been posted to.
This is true for my husband and I; and one of our assignments was Hawaii. Something special about Colorado...

Old 03-13-2014, 06:11 PM

409 posts, read 704,231 times
Climate. Lack of bugs. Great schools. Friendly people. Just the right size for me. Views I haven't grown tired of yet (though my friends on facebook probably have). 65 degree days the day after a snowstorm. The sky and the clouds. Heading up to the mountains. How out-doorsy everything is. How bike friendly everything is. How dog-friendly everything is. Brew pubs. Low taxes.

One more perk... When you visit the lowlands, you can drink like a fish and not feel it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs