U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 06:59 PM

8 posts, read 20,287 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I was wondering about the current cost of living in the Woodland Park, CO area. I will have to rent a low income apartment and just wondering what things cost in the area. Anything you can share about the area would be most welcome. I am 54 and just want to know for sure that it is the final move for my golden years. Is there a lot for a woman of my age to do? Any negatives. I am a mountain girl and have also lived in snow before so can't wait to be in the mountains again.
Anything will help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 09:53 PM

794 posts, read 1,492,322 times
Assuming you can find a low-income apartment, the cost of living should be roughly comparable to living in Colorado Springs, if that helps any. Are there particular expenses you are concerned about?

Things to do - Depends upon what you like to do. See The Mountain Jackpot News | News with an Altitude – Established 1989 and Local news, information and sports from the communities of Woodland Park, Colorado and surrounding areas | Pikes Peak Courier for an idea of local activities.

Negatives - None in particular for a mountain town. It is 40 minutes to the big box stores in Colorado Springs, if that is an issue. Traffic gets pretty nasty sometimes on US 24 in the summer months, but the locals can get around it (mostly). There is no public transportation within town at all. It does not take long to run through the local eateries if you eat out a lot.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:28 AM

4,669 posts, read 6,740,923 times
Honestly, I think you'd be bored stiff in Woodland Park. It's a nice town, with really nice people, but it literally rolls up its sidewalks at 8:00 p.m.

There really aren't any low-income apartments. It's a small town, so there aren't many apartments to begin with. It's a little more expensive than living in Colorado Springs because of the extra cost to bring things up the pass to Woodland Park. There is a Wal-Mart, a Safeway and just about every fast food place except KFC. There's even a Denny's. But as for malls, or department stores, you'll need to drive down the pass to Colorado Springs. The movie theater is very small and other than a couple of restaurants, there's not any nightlife in WP.

Since there's not much for entertainment unless you're into high school sports, most of your entertainment will be found in Colorado Springs, about 25 minutes away in good weather, up to an hour or more in snowy weather via U.S. Hwy 24, aka, Ute Pass (called The Pass). Hwy 24 a four lane highway, but since it's the only way to get to the Springs from Cripple Creek, Divide, Florrisant, WP, and town further down the Pass, it can very crowded, and again, in bad weather it's also kind of scary to drive. Also, many people work in Colorado Springs, so there's a lot of commuter traffic in the pass each day.

I think for a single woman, you'll find Woodland Park to be very limited. It's very family oriented and life revolves around the high school, the Senior Center and the churches.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:39 AM

3,133 posts, read 9,104,729 times
I say go for it. You can rent a $650/mo 600 sq ft apartment like this: Full Listing Detail

Give it a year and see how you like it. Our family loves WP. Going to COS once a week for shopping/eating out is no big deal. Takes you 20 minutes to get to i25.

They are in the process of building a new 168 unit apartment complex next to the Safeway. Won't be done for another year. Short term housing can be hard to come by in WP, so you won't see many rentals available.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:30 AM

12,632 posts, read 10,732,308 times
I must say I agree with Marcy..at 54, it would not be for me...the streets roll up at 8pm.
BUT, you have Cripple Creek for some fun, yoga classes if not into the HS
events.
Divide has a fun spiritual New Age group the Mandala? That meet in a yurt for classes, movie nights..
I can get u the # or website somewhere...then Col Sp for night life or certainly Manitou...or the Crystola Bar just a little
down the Pass.....Green Mt. Falls a bit farther and their bar that changes names...maybe now
The Blue Moose?
If you're Christian there will be the Andrew Wommack "campus'...dispite
the rumors... they are loving, wonderful people....(he made 2 statements that being gay
was a sin and anything else good was tossed out the window....it is a non issue for the most part.)

Hiking, canoeing, camping, biking all close by.
Fiesta Mexicana my fave Mex restaurant in the area.

Gosh, just thinking about it I would be pretty bored after 3 weeks, I think.
(Unless, you are a loner...it would be a sweet place. So many surrounding towns
to visit.)

Old 03-11-2014, 10:05 PM

482 posts, read 927,948 times
I think everyone else covered it pretty well. Woodland Park is more of a suburb of Colorado Springs than a neat little mountain town. For most entertainment you'll have to go to the Springs. But it's very close to a lot of great outdoor recreation. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Woodland Park and Teller County. I lived up there for most of my 20's and loved it but you need to be good at creating your own entertainment. For me, it has more to do than Colorado Springs but different strokes for different folks. :-)

Old 03-17-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Honestly, I think you'd be bored stiff in Woodland Park. It's a nice town, with really nice people, but it literally rolls up its sidewalks at 8:00 p.m.

There really aren't any low-income apartments. It's a small town, so there aren't many apartments to begin with. It's a little more expensive than living in Colorado Springs because of the extra cost to bring things up the pass to Woodland Park. There is a Wal-Mart, a Safeway and just about every fast food place except KFC. There's even a Denny's. But as for malls, or department stores, you'll need to drive down the pass to Colorado Springs. The movie theater is very small and other than a couple of restaurants, there's not any nightlife in WP.

Since there's not much for entertainment unless you're into high school sports, most of your entertainment will be found in Colorado Springs, about 25 minutes away in good weather, up to an hour or more in snowy weather via U.S. Hwy 24, aka, Ute Pass (called The Pass). Hwy 24 a four lane highway, but since it's the only way to get to the Springs from Cripple Creek, Divide, Florrisant, WP, and town further down the Pass, it can very crowded, and again, in bad weather it's also kind of scary to drive. Also, many people work in Colorado Springs, so there's a lot of commuter traffic in the pass each day.

I think for a single woman, you'll find Woodland Park to be very limited. It's very family oriented and life revolves around the high school, the Senior Center and the churches.
Thank you for all the info. It really helps me to make my decision.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
I say go for it. You can rent a $650/mo 600 sq ft apartment like this: Full Listing Detail

Give it a year and see how you like it. Our family loves WP. Going to COS once a week for shopping/eating out is no big deal. Takes you 20 minutes to get to i25.

They are in the process of building a new 168 unit apartment complex next to the Safeway. Won't be done for another year. Short term housing can be hard to come by in WP, so you won't see many rentals available.
Great! I'm from small mountain towns and I love them. Thank you for the heads up regarding rentals and the new apartment building!

Old 03-17-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn8chusrdhd View Post
Hello everyone! I was wondering about the current cost of living in the Woodland Park, CO area. I will have to rent a low income apartment and just wondering what things cost in the area. Anything you can share about the area would be most welcome. I am 54 and just want to know for sure that it is the final move for my golden years. Is there a lot for a woman of my age to do? Any negatives. I am a mountain girl and have also lived in snow before so can't wait to be in the mountains again.
Anything will help!
Thank you all so much! I am sort of between mountain loner and Colorado Springs. I live in Los Angeles right now and HATE it. I miss the clean mountain air and the friendly people of a small town. Yet, since having knee surgery and been on my butt for almost a year, I also want some things to do. You have all given me great information to help me make up my mind.

BTW- 4.4 Earthquake this morning. Can't move fast enough.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:02 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,702,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn8chusrdhd View Post
Thank you all so much! I am sort of between mountain loner and Colorado Springs. I live in Los Angeles right now and HATE it. I miss the clean mountain air and the friendly people of a small town. Yet, since having knee surgery and been on my butt for almost a year, I also want some things to do. You have all given me great information to help me make up my mind.

BTW- 4.4 Earthquake this morning. Can't move fast enough.
Hope you like whichever area you pick. I certainly love Colorado Springs. I didn't consider LA much when moving because of the traffic, COL and smog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs