U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 05:20 PM

29 posts, read 94,703 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am allergic to almost every tree and grass in this area (40 miles N of DT Houston). Going outside for recreation is not something I can do. I have read that the air quality in CO is one of the best in the country. Anyone with like allergies that have moved there and what was the adjustment like?

I would love to be able to go outside more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 05:23 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,804,669 times
What I can tell you from prior postings on here is that many people do better here, but a few do not.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:28 PM

584 posts, read 630,847 times
If you are allergic to most tree and grass, moving someplace with a large number of both might not be the best. You might me OK initially because it takes exposure to develop an allergy. The next year or year after when you are exposed you will be allergic. However, if pollution is causing your problem then moving to CO might help. You might also try moving out to AZ and away from the big cities. People used to move there because of allergies, but in most of the big cities they brought in all the stuff they were allergic too.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:02 PM

6,157 posts, read 9,447,682 times
As a general rule of thumb if you're allergic to grasses, mold, and ragweed your allergies will be better here. If you're allergic to pine trees, cottonwood, sagebrush, or greasewood they'll probably be slightly better or about the same.

Allergy season won't last nearly as long up here, either.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:03 PM

409 posts, read 558,179 times
My *allergies* are better here, so far, than they were in Maryland. However, it's so dry that I completely lost my voice last July, and it comes and goes ever since. Drinking a gallon of water a day helps, but I can't always do that.

Basically, your mileage may vary.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:43 PM

6 posts, read 7,265 times
Default Allergy

I have the same problem as you. I lived in Louisiana for most of my life and suffered with bad allergies the whole time. I have been in Colorado Springs for 2.5 years and my allergy problems are not even half of what they used to be. I think the dry air here made a difference for me as well as the reduced pollen.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:49 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,705,458 times
My allergies got better here, my wife's allergies got worse. However, the improvement in mine was bigger than the increase in hers. It's really an individual thing for what triggers your allergies. You might try a trip out here and see how you do. Mine are 95% gone.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:19 PM

926 posts, read 1,031,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amywynn View Post
Hi all,

I am allergic to almost every tree and grass in this area (40 miles N of DT Houston). Going outside for recreation is not something I can do. I have read that the air quality in CO is one of the best in the country. Anyone with like allergies that have moved there and what was the adjustment like?

I would love to be able to go outside more.
When I first moved here, I developed severe allergies that made my life miserable. I'd never had them before. After a few years, then went away ... for the most part. Some things still bother me - mold, cottonwood trees when they blow that white fluffy stuff around. Some years are worse than others.

That said, I don't think any of us can say with certainty what you may or may not react to here. I like being outdoors too - so I just keep a good supply of Claritin D around (the generic kind because the real stuff is too expensive!), and it works really well most times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or