U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 09:53 PM

9 posts, read 7,411 times

Advertisements

My husband just got an official offer for a job in COS! April 21st is his official start date. Unfortunately, I'll be staying behind, along with our 20 month old, in hopes of getting our house sold while I continue to work here in Louisiana (hoping it doesn't take long). We need to find a 1 bedroom apartment for him right now & of course we can't scout the areas. Since we'll be paying for rent & a mortgage at the same time, we're looking to spend between 600-800 (preferably on the lower end). I've been checking out complexes online & wanted to know if I could get some opinions on the following:

Mountain View
Union Heights
Lamplight Square at the Park
Advenir
Eagle Ridge
Grand Centennial
The Meadows at Cheyenne Mountain
Westmeadow Peaks

I should also mention that we're looking for a place that either has a washer/dryer in unit or at least hookups…which is why my list is limited.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-15-2014 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: Merged 2:1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 03:08 PM

11 posts, read 17,854 times
Advenir has gotten some good reviews and from the pictures it is gorgeous.

By the way, GEAUX TIGERS!

Old 03-17-2014, 04:19 PM

482 posts, read 932,511 times
I looked at the Meadows at Cheyenne Mountain apartments a couple of years back. I liked the complex and the management struck me as being very professional. I ended up finding something else, but it is a place I would absolutely consider. Good value for what you pay, from what I could tell.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the help!

Old 04-21-2014, 04:24 PM

116 posts, read 326,138 times
We are also considering the same, coming to Co Springs for middle of May (or June 1st) and looking for a 1-br apt that allows cats, really would like a small house if we can get something in a decent and safe neighborhood for about $550? Is that possible? Anyone who has rental property in those parameters could send me a private message. Thanks much.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:55 PM

We ended up with a 2 bedroom/2 bath at The Parc at Briargate. So far, so good. It's a very nice area & management was very helpful after a hiccup with our rental (especially since we were doing everything while still living out of state & not actually being able to see
the place).

Scarlett, $550 probably will not get you a house. Do you have any children? From my research $550 will not get much right now, prices seem to be climbing on a weekly basis for rentals Try padmapper.com, but be careful of scam artists.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-21-2014 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: Added a link to the apts.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:59 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,721,413 times
Quick (not really) question for you.

Have you compared your after tax wages to the cost of daycare and your husband having to move twice? If you were renting in your current city, I'd factor in the cost of paying rent in your old city as well, but you can't remove the mortgage payment even if you moved with your husband and just took care of the child.

So long as you've factored in all the costs, you're on the right track.

$550/month will NOT get you a house. Anyone that says it will is trying to scam you. No, they are not good people. No, you didn't find a great deal. It is a scam. 100% it is a scam.

Generally speaking, assume monthly rent will be at least around .8% of the purchase price of the property. 550/.008 = 68,750 max value on the house. However, generally speaking, as the rent goes down, that denominator goes up. There will be a few free standing houses under 68 grand, but they won't be in nice areas. If they were, someone would buy it and live in it. Those that are purchased and put up for rent, the landlord wants to make a premium for dealing with more properties , more tenants, and more potential problems. As a result, it's more likely that any house renting for 550 has to be worth around 40k or less. Those are more likely to have structural problems that are creatively covered up. If somehow the property is "safe", the house might still be dangerous. Even if your husband has a gun to make bad areas safe, you can't really shoot your way out a house collapsing. Budget at least 750 to 800 and then go looking for housing in the security/widefield area and you might find something. If you wanted a one bed apartment, you can find safe ones for 600 to 650. They won't be the lap of luxury, but they'll be safe. Economies of scale make apartment housing less expensive to rent. If you have the resources when your old house sells, the market for buying here is significantly more attractive than the market for renting. To be fair, significantly, is understating it. The market for buying still has plenty of empty houses which is keeping prices down and the fed is still holding interest rates down. Renting on the other hand keeps seeing prices go up as occupancy is around 97% or so. I'm sure Beezle (a local realtor on these forums) would have the current numbers.

PS. I ran a quick realtor.com search since my knowledge of the lowest priced properties in the cities is not complete. Under 50k I could only find apartments/condos and trailers. I assume by a house you do not mean a trailer.

Last edited by lurtsman; 04-22-2014 at 09:37 AM..

Old 04-22-2014, 10:03 AM

116 posts, read 326,138 times
Thank you, Tigah. That is very helpful to know. We're still looking, will post if we learn anything else useful to share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or