U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 07:38 PM

35 posts, read 31,119 times

Advertisements

I was born in CS and have been living in Northern CA since 1989. My wife and I are thinking of moving back to the Springs because we are retired and want to stay that way. Although it is beautiful here, it is too expensive. I love swimming in outdoor pools all year here and know that won't be possible in the Springs BUT I would love to know if I can swim laps at the Olympic Training Center? I swim about a mile a day five days a week but no longer interested in anything competitive (Masters). Any ideas on where I might look? We peaked at Villa Sports on a trip not long ago and swam at the downtown Y (hated it!). Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I wonder about Colorado College and any other pools you might suggest. We won't move without knowing there might find a pool I could enjoy. Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 09:32 AM

553 posts, read 1,417,420 times
If you didn't like the downtown Y, you could try one of the others. There's a nice indoor lap pool at the Garden Ranch Y, off Academy and Montebello. There's also a lap pool at the 24 Hour Fitness center at Academy and Austin Bluffs.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:16 AM

123 posts, read 155,085 times
l'm a lap swimmer, I will want access to an indoor pool all year round for my next city. I did a swimming pool tour of Denver and tried about 6 different places including the Ritz Carlton Downtown which has a day rate, it's a nice indoor Saline lap pool with a huge sauna; however it's in a small room and kind of bleak and lonely in there. Good for once in a while and very handy if your in downtown Denver.
In order to use the OTC big pool you must be in a masters group or some private group that is allowed access to the facility. I wanted to swim at this facility but there are no options for "citizens". If I choose to move to CS I'm a lifeguard and am hoping to work part time around whatever area I land in. I love indoor pools as well as saline and heated outdoor. I don't like to tan or get to much sun; my ideal is to live were I could lap swims in the evening or even late at night as well as immediately when I wake up. Let us know what develops and where you land.
There is a website called swimmersguide.com. It's handy but not always complete or accurate, you can add your own information on it.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:39 AM

20,349 posts, read 37,876,690 times
Lifetime Fitness and Villa Sport both have good pools, indoor and outdoor, steam, sauna, kids programs and much more.

Both will be glad to give you a tour and explain their swimming programs and facilities. Both are on the Powers Blvd corridor:
- Villa at Powers and Woodmen Rd
- Lifetime at Powers and Briargate Pkwy
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:08 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,362,047 times
If Springs is your intended city, look at Cheyenne Mountain Resort. If you're a serious swimmer, you might like their long term membership options. You will definitely love their swimming options (multiple indoor and outdoor pools, as well as a lake int he summer). For something cheaper than CMR or Villa, I'm afraid it's the Y for you. The one in Monument is a little nicer, but it's still the Y.

If you're willing to look at Castle Rock, they have an outstanding public rec center with for about the same as the Y (maybe less for residents). They have a big lap pool and a huge multi-use pool which is largely kid-oriented with some designated adult swim areas and time. No outdoor option there though, unfortunately. The other benefit to being in Castle Rock is that it gives you reasonably close access to a lot of other options closer to Denver.

Any way you cut it, swimming is not the sport of choice in Colorado, so the options are few and mostly dismal (unless you happen to be an olympic hopeful). You won't find anything close the the Santa Clara Swim program, if that's that you meant by 'Northern CA'.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:31 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,719,755 times
Downtown Y sucks. Sorry. The life time fitness is expensive, but is an absolutely stunning facility. IMO villa sports seems more like a place to go for an upscale gym to take the kids. If you aren't dragging some children along, life time is much more appealing.

PS. If there is one facility in this city that does not represent the city, it is the downtown Y.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:44 PM

Thanks Mike, I will look into these pools.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:46 PM

Thanks Otterprods. We are in Santa Rosa and the pools are open all year rain or not. I guess we are spoiled but will continue the search in the Springs.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:48 PM

Thanks Maynerd.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:08 PM

808 posts, read 1,178,976 times
I am not a swimmer by any means (I do boring stuff like run and pull-ups), but my wife has gotten back into lap swimming after a bit of a hiatus. We live a mile from Cheyenne Mountain High School and she raves about the pool, which is open to adult lap swim daily early morning, mid morning, and lunchtime. It's either $3 or 4 daily entry fee with a punchcard. Only negatives I hear is they keep the water pretty cold at the request of the high school swim teams.

Youth swimming (clubs, etc.) seems to be pretty well entrenched in COS, so I'm guessing an adult swimmer should find a reasonable number of decent local pool options, though like I said I'm not out there looking for pools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs