U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 05:03 AM

3 posts, read 3,495 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

My husband and I are planning to relocate to the Colorado Springs area. We are looking to live in the north or the east side of town. Any suggestions on nice apartment complexes or townhomes in the area? As of right now we aren't looking to go over $1,000 a month.

Also does anyone make the commute from Colorado Springs to Castle Rock? I could possibly be working there starting in May and I'm just wondering how the traffic flow is on I-25. I've only been through there once and it was mid day so I didn't catch any traffic. I've heard horror stories about Monument Hill and I'm just wondering if it's as horrible as everyone makes it out to be in the winter months.

Any suggestions on good hiking trails? We went to Garden of the Gods and Palmer Park when we were there in September, but since we were limited on time we didn't have a chance to hike anywhere else. We love to be outdoors and we hike pretty regularly, so we would love to hear your suggestions!

Any parts of town to avoid? I've heard to stay away from the southeastern part of town, but are there any other areas we should know about? Any likes/dislikes in particular about the city in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 05:24 AM

12,667 posts, read 10,746,745 times
Quick comment on Mon Hill...yes, shockingly a couple miles before or after it
can be just a normal snowy road...then suddenly one car slides on ice (wasn't on
the road 2 miles earlier, see?) And there you have cars skidding into the first car
in trouble. It usually involves multiple cars.....the conditions change quickly going up
to that higher and open area...from either direction...oh brother.
Careful.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:12 AM

Thank you for the heads up! Here in southern Ohio we have our fair share of snow and ice...but we obviously don't have to deal with the extra hazard that comes with changing elevations. I'm sure that will take some getting used to!

Old 03-16-2014, 08:02 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,082,011 times
Yep, the drive over Monument Hill can get bad sometimes, but most of the time its fine, and the scenery between Colorado Springs and Castle Rock is really nice - lots of open space. If you job allows to to skip out a bit early when a big snow is coming (watch the radar and traffic cams to see when it starts), you can probably avoid the mess. I would live on the north end of town for sure if I were commuting to Castle Rock. There are newer apartments in the Gleneagle area, Northgate and Jackson Creek.

There are some nice hiking trails near the Palmer Lake area (I frequent that area as its the closest to my home). Spruce Mountain and the Palmer Lake Reservoir trail are my favorites.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:04 PM

Thank you beezle, I will definitely look into apartments in those areas, and I will make sure to check out those trails next time I am out there!

Old 03-16-2014, 02:34 PM

309 posts, read 358,933 times
The Bella Springs Apartments in Northgate and Vistas at Jackson Creek in Monument are both beautiful complexes. They are close to shopping and entertainment, have beautiful views of the mountains (can you tell I love living in the northern part of the Springs?) and are right by I-25. Definitely worth looking in to!

Old 05-06-2014, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess0503 View Post
Hello everyone!

My husband and I are planning to relocate to the Colorado Springs area. We are looking to live in the north or the east side of town. Any suggestions on nice apartment complexes or townhomes in the area? As of right now we aren't looking to go over $1,000 a month.

Also does anyone make the commute from Colorado Springs to Castle Rock? I could possibly be working there starting in May and I'm just wondering how the traffic flow is on I-25. I've only been through there once and it was mid day so I didn't catch any traffic. I've heard horror stories about Monument Hill and I'm just wondering if it's as horrible as everyone makes it out to be in the winter months. grestipon

Any suggestions on good hiking trails? We went to Garden of the Gods and Palmer Park when we were there in September, but since we were limited on time we didn't have a chance to hike anywhere else. We love to be outdoors and we hike pretty regularly, so we would love to hear your suggestions!

Any parts of town to avoid? I've heard to stay away from the southeastern part of town, but are there any other areas we should know about? Any likes/dislikes in particular about the city in general?
Hey, welcome to the Springs. As for your comment on Traveling to Castle Rock, construction makes it a nightmare. I've been here since 1987 and they still cannot figure out how to handle the congestion. around I-25 and Woodman. Actually, the city has good and bad sections all over town. If you have children, you might get a condo in the Broadmoor Bluffs area and enjoy the cities best school district(D12). No matter where you end up, finding hiking trails is not a problem. My personal favorite is the seven bridges. Best of luck.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:42 PM

5,007 posts, read 6,685,971 times
As for hiking - if you're serious about hiking, invest in the Pikes Peak Atlas. It has most of the area trails. North Cheyenne Canon would be a logical next place for you to hike, but there are literally thousands of miles of trails within an hour or so's drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or