U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 09:22 AM

3 posts, read 1,727 times

Advertisements

Could you tell me more about 49?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 10:41 AM

20,314 posts, read 37,820,570 times
Here's what MrsMac had to say about D49. Bear in mind that others love the district.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMac View Post
Our girls went to school in District 49 for two years. We were so unhappy we decided to move and build in District 20. The D49 teachers were great but the school board is fractured and they have no real sense of direction, parental communication is lacking, they have cut back on PE and other things we feel are essential and their handling of our special needs child's IEP/504 plan was the worst we experienced in three states. My best friend's daughter just graduated from a D49 middle school a few weeks ago and from what I have heard all year nothing has changed. Our girls have loved their D20 school and have really flourished here.

Here's the old story on D49, as told to me by a teacher in D11 about 8 years ago. Hopefully things are better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
This is the story I got about 15 months ago from a teacher in the area:
District 49, out near Falcon / Peyton has some history. The voters there rejected a bond issue for school construction the other year, so the only HS became overcrowded, so they brought in mobile classroom trailers, parents got ticked at their kids being in trailers, many pulled their kids in favor of home-schooling, school enrollment dropped, with fewer students in the school, D49 cut the number of teachers in the school. I'm not sure the exact status today, but that area is growing quickly and I'd think that new schools simply must be built to handle growth. FWIW: we lived in Fairfax County, VA for over 30 years, schools are considered sacred, and school bonds always pass there with about 75% approval. I can't believe people in Falcon voted down a bond issue for school construction, apparently it's true, not sure if there's more to the story.
To find homes for sale or rent, look at www.ppar.com and use the various search tools and filters, easy to use.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:37 PM

6 posts, read 12,169 times
Can you tell us about the D-11 district? Does it hold re-sale value like the D-20 area does?

Old 02-16-2016, 05:39 PM

5,007 posts, read 6,691,539 times
D11 - depends on where in it. Pretty much any area aside from the Mitchell High School attendance area is recommended for good schools and good homes.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:22 PM

Thanks for answering!

Old 02-17-2016, 08:37 AM

2,670 posts, read 1,674,615 times
Agree with otowi on location. D11 is the largest district in CoS and encompasses a lot of area and serves a very diverse student base. Some schools are on par with anything you'll find in D20 and D12. Others, while a bit lackluster compared to other local options, are still better than many schools in other parts of the nation.

Similarly, home values will also vary considerably in areas through out the district.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:43 AM

2,983 posts, read 2,400,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familytrucksters16 View Post
Could you tell me more about 49?
They have a lot nicer school buildings than D20, that's for sure. As far as education, I haven't heard many negatives from the few people I knew who went to them.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:53 AM

2,670 posts, read 1,674,615 times
One aspect of D11 I forgot to mention is that it calls itself a choice district. This means if you live within its boundaries, you can permit to any school within the district and not be refused. This does give you more flexibility in choosing a neighborhood in another part of town while using a school in another location. However, transportation to that school is your responsibility, so you could be facing a challenging trip twice a day to accomplish that goal.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:03 AM

Default Neighborhood/district 11 area question

Neighborhood question:

D-11 school district, HS is listed as Coronado. The house is in University Park neighborhood. Does anyone know what kind of area that is? I can see it's close to the University.

Or another option is Briargate D-20 in the Wedgewood neighborhood. House is priced way higher though and there is another concern we have for resell value.

Last edited by ainchsmom3x; 03-04-2016 at 08:13 AM..

Old 03-04-2016, 11:01 AM

5,007 posts, read 6,691,539 times
Coronado is a very nice school and that neighborhood is nice too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs