U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 05:04 PM

21 posts, read 45,011 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate to Colorado Springs and from my searches here, it appears the most recommended school district is 12. However, I'm having a bear of a time finding a rental SFH in my price range (1300 - 1600.) Is this not a realistic price range? I've checked ppar, zillow and trulia (the last of which seems to be filled with duds.)

Thanks for any pointers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 05:55 PM

5,007 posts, read 6,685,971 times
D12 is a tiny district - only one high school. Therefore, if you limit yourself to its boundaries you're limiting yourself drastically geographically and hence you will have far fewer options in your rental search. There are other districts that are also very good that are much larger, such as D20 or D38 or parts of D11.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
D12 is a tiny district - only one high school. Therefore, if you limit yourself to its boundaries you're limiting yourself drastically geographically and hence you will have far fewer options in your rental search. There are other districts that are also very good that are much larger, such as D20 or D38 or parts of D11.
Thanks for the info; makes a lot of sense. Out of curiosity, do you have kids or experience with D20 or D38?

Old 03-17-2014, 07:07 PM

5,007 posts, read 6,685,971 times
I am an educator in D11 and went to school in D3. I would be happy to put my kids in either district. But I know some people care more about school ratings online and reputation, and D20 and D38 definitely have good reputation and ratings. I have friends that work and live in D20 and D38. All our school districts are generally good - the one that has the worst reputation is D2 (Harrison) but I know kids can get a good education there, too - but I certainly wouldn't choose to work there and I would hesitate to put my kids there or in schools that feed to Mitchell H.S. in D11. Would I put my own kids in D20 or D38? Yes, probably, but I actually like school districts that are a little more diverse, so I'd prefer D11 Coronado or Palmer high schools (or Doherty would be okay too, I guess, it just doesn't excite me personally). If I wanted a smaller district, I'd think of D3 (Widefield), D14 (Manitou), or D8 (Fountain). D49 (Falcon) would probably be fine, too (it is a larger district). As for D12, I tutor a lot of kids from that district and also used to work in that district, and in my personal opinion yes it is good, but it is not because the education is that much more outstanding there than somewhere else - it isn't. It is because a lot of those parents have money and invest it heavily in their children's schooling and sports - spending big dollars on tutoring centers, club sports and so on. Lots of great kids there, and in all the local schools, but D12 can be cliquish and if you don't have as much money as is expected there, it can be a bit rough. Not that everyone is wealthy, that's not true, but if any district kind of operates on that expectation, D12 does.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:40 PM

808 posts, read 1,176,209 times
Following up on the D12 discussion, I have two kids in a D12 elementary school and its not so much that the D12 parents are paying for "tutoring centers" but that (based on my personal observation) a healthy majority of D12 kids have not one but TWO parents with some form of post-graduate degree (PhD, JD, MD, MBA, CPA, DDS, etc.). That tends to mean the families have a bit of money, but it also means the expectations the parents and the kids have are pretty high. That's (usually) a recipe for high achievement. The quality of teachers in D12 seems pretty high but I agree with a previous poster that the students are more-or-less pre-programmed for success and would mostly find a way to excel regardless of teacher quality.

Good schools in every district. Find a neighborhood you like and go from there. I have no idea how one would find rental houses to compare in our modern internet age, but seems like Craigslist is a reasonable bet for local stuff like that. Good luck!

Old 03-17-2014, 10:00 PM

Thank you both. I wanted to make sure I wasn't backing myself into a corner by sticking to D12. I do sometimes question the value of some of the online school rating services and that's where anecdotal data really does help, so thank you.

I've been using Zillow and PPAR primarily and staying off craigslist for the most part. Hopefully we can find a single family home that suits our needs.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:02 PM

309 posts, read 358,933 times
In Colorado Springs District 12 and District 20 have the best reputations for overall great schools. (You will even see big banners on new housing developments saying "District 20 Schools!" Because it is definitely a selling point.) I live in District 20 in Northgate (up by the Air Force Academy) and my girls all go to Discovery Canyon Campus; it's an International Baccalaureate pre-K through 12 school that isn't even a decade old and has amazing facilities. My girls are thriving there (after a nightmare year and a half in District 49 - and it wasn't just one school we had issues with there but the elementary, midde and high school levels). The elementary schools in this part of D20 are, from what my friends tell me, excellent and I have heard nothing but glowing praise for D'Avinci, Antelope Trails and The Classical Academy elementary schools. (TCA (a charter school) may not be the best fit for some older kids; my girls have friends at DCC who hated TCA and begged to transfer, saying it was high pressure and too test oriented.) You should be able to find something in your price range in D20 if you search the PPAR site; try looking in Briargate and Northgate. (The mountain views here cant be beat and you are so close to shopping and entertainment.) You can also check militarybyowner.com and search listing closest to the Academy. (Most listing in District 20 will include that in the listing since its such a draw.)

Old 03-18-2014, 11:00 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,704,040 times
D20 is also excellent, and you can definitely find a SFH in the 1300 to 1600 price range. If you were willing to live in D11, you'd get more home for the money, but when you want your kids in a great school like the ones in D20... you'll be looking for the smaller/older houses in the briargate area, which is mostly newer and nicer houses. At 1600 you can still get some that are very nice within D20. Of course, the best deals have the least advertising, while the most over priced houses will often pay for the most visibility.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:07 AM

We've found a few nice places in d20 in our price range. I'm not sure when I'll be out there. Are there any reputable realtors that specialIze in rentals that any of you are aware of?

Old 03-22-2014, 11:20 AM

20,308 posts, read 37,804,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChevalierNoir View Post
We've found a few nice places in d20 in our price range. I'm not sure when I'll be out there. Are there any reputable realtors that specialIze in rentals that any of you are aware of?
Generally, in COLO, realtors do not get involved in rentals unless they are landlords themselves.

There are property management firms that do manage rental properties for absentee owners and you'd be best to google the term to find some.

My preferred method would be to use the local mls site, ppar.com to find rentals and reputable realtors / landlords.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs