U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 10:26 AM

9,734 posts, read 6,265,376 times

Advertisements

So I saw this today in my FB feed...

Toilets in tree violate County's 'rubbish ordinance' | News - Home

Apparently someone in the Security area decided to hang toilets from a tree in his yard and use them as bird feeders and his neighbors are all in a tizzy about it. I think the whole thing is funny. Among the winners in the comments on the post:

"Looks like toilettree to me....lol"

and

"See? Pot grows on trees!"

I just wanted to know if it's the same guy who has a UFO bolted to his roof and a hearse in the yard. Guess not?

On the one hand...this sort of thing is the reason that spots like my neighborhood have HOA's. And the reason some refuse to live within an HOA neighborhood, and expect to be able to do whatever they want on their property.

On the other hand, how much ridiculousness should the neighbors really be expected to tolerate?

People are complaining about their property values, but those old shoebox ranch houses in that part of Security are never going to be worth a fortune... Gotta say, I'm just not sure how to feel about this one, but I sure do find it amusing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 10:31 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,079,841 times
Yeah I saw that on the news last night. I would not want to live next to that. Plenty of other things they could hang on the tree to be weird without it being toilets.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:38 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,701,296 times
If they don't plan to sell but think it lowers property value, they can go and apply for a lower property tax assessment

PS. That neighbor is great. Ain't nobody got time for that!! Didn't think anyone would say that onto the news. What a great sense of humor.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:55 AM

575 posts, read 668,946 times
There is a house in my neighborhood (fortunately a few blocks away) that has some toilets in the front yard they use as planters for flowers, at least they are not hanging from trees. Personally I think it's ugly but I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Another neighbor has an antique wrought iron bed planted as a 'flowerbed', and an antique clawfoot tub as a water feature better than the toilet in my opinion but not everyone's cup of tea. I live downtown, so there can be some quirkiness in the properties. Maybe people are spending a little too much time on Pinterest perusing the repurposing boards

But still, as someone who prefers not to have another layer of government in my life telling me what I can do, I'll tolerate toilets over an HOA which is why I don't live in one.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:59 AM

20,304 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySkiesAbove View Post
There is a house in my neighborhood ... that has some toilets in the front yard they use as ....
Toilets in the yard? How cool....

- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:00 AM

I guess the way I see it is...so long as they're clean, and I'm not looking at waste or stains of waste on them, then they're just another kind of ceramic vessel and who cares if they use it to feed birds or grow plants? Not me. I like weird things. But I would insist to the neighbor that if they were going to call it "art" they needed to paint them bright colors and I'd be happy to volunteer to help do that...

I want to meet the people with the UFO on the roof one day. I think he/she/they must be very interesting. I bet it has a story and I'd love to hear it!

Old 03-18-2014, 11:06 AM

575 posts, read 668,946 times
Lol Mike, I like that one!

I would be worried someone might decide to use it...

Old 03-18-2014, 05:41 PM

5,003 posts, read 6,678,903 times
I'm more concerned about the empty houses that are trashed out than someone "decorating" with a toilet.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I'm more concerned about the empty houses that are trashed out than someone "decorating" with a toilet.
I'm also more concerned about the piles of tumbleweeds in our eastern fringes, which pose a fire hazard. Our area was once again featured in the news because of that. They showed a photo of Drennen out there near Bradley & Marksheffel on the east edge of Sec-WF where the dang tumbleweeds had piled up across the road and I heard about one neighborhood where people were trapped in their homes.

Hate those things...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or