U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 11:33 PM

808 posts, read 1,178,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlekw View Post
^ You make an excellent point. Liquor stores in Colorado are very mom-and-pop places. It's also a large part of why you see liquor stores on almost every corner, it's a business that the law will not allow a monopoly on. But I digress... This is a thread about Trader Joe's in Colorado Springs. :-)
Well ... its an understandable discussion because a Trader Joe's w/o its typically interesting wine and beer section is a bit like an amusement park without any roller coasters or like football with tackling prohibited. Still interesting, still probably worth doing, but ... you know, maybe not as interesting. The guy who started Trader Joe's back in the 1960's, before it was bought up by a German grocery conglomerate, pretty much put good selection of highish quality lowish price wines at the top of his list of the store's raison d'etre.

Seems similar to banning meat dishes at restaurants except for places's with special meat-service licenses. It'd probably be healthier if we had to go to special government favored places to get meat service, but it'd also be no small bit insulting and un-American if some law told me where I can and cannot buy me a cheeseburger. So it goes. I'm sure I'll enjoy my de-clawed Colorado Springs pseudo Trader Joe's where, thanks to Colorado law I can buy 75 varieties of ganga on pretty much any street corner, but no wine at my Trader Joe's. Actually pretty funny, that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 03:30 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,930,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlekw View Post
Colorado liquor laws only allow a chain grocery/department/wholesale store to have one liquor license for the entire chain. The Costco on Quincy and Wadsworth in Denver got that one license and sells Kirkland brand liquids along with having a full liquor store. It's a weird, arcane law but every time it comes up in legislature to change it, it gets shot down.
Right, I get that. But though it is a mom & pop kind of store Costco won't let them carry their branded wines. The whole reason I'm excited about TJ is their wine selection. So if a TJ had a liquor store near them (much like Costco does), they won't sell TJ wine.

Honestly, I don't buy the idea that all the mom and pop liquor stores would go out of business. I've traveled and lived in several states where beer and wine was sold in grocery stores AND there were thriving liquor stores too.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:34 PM
gn3

147 posts, read 358,981 times
Another chain. Meh.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:26 AM

2,819 posts, read 4,246,089 times
I'm another one who doesn't understand the hype about Trader Joes. But i guess what will happen is it will eventually push WildOats Market out if it does open in the Springs.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:34 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,710,850 times
Hasn't Wild Oats already been gone several years - I thought it was bought out by Whole Foods?

Old 03-23-2014, 03:14 PM

574 posts, read 627,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
Well ... its an understandable discussion because a Trader Joe's w/o its typically interesting wine and beer section is a bit like an amusement park without any roller coasters or like football with tackling prohibited. Still interesting, still probably worth doing, but ... you know, maybe not as interesting. The guy who started Trader Joe's back in the 1960's, before it was bought up by a German grocery conglomerate, pretty much put good selection of highish quality lowish price wines at the top of his list of the store's raison d'etre.
I'm a total non-drinker so the wine and beer selection at any store is not something that weighs into my shopping preferences at all.

Back when I lived in the Boston area, one of the five grocery stores within walking distance of my home was a Trader Joes, and I shopped there about once a week. They had similar kinds of stuff as Whole Foods for about half the price. I especially liked their variety of frozen prepared foods, and also bought their bakery, cereal, and snack foods. So, plenty of reasons to shop there even without the booze. When I first moved to Colorado Springs, I was telling people that the only thing I really missed here was the neighborhood Trader Joes....

Old 03-23-2014, 05:02 PM

20,346 posts, read 37,876,690 times
Here are some local news articles on TJ's.

- The ten most-liked items.

- One writer's favorite items.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:44 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,360,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
Even the Costco on Powers has a liquor store near it, BUT it doesn't sell kirkland brand wine. I would assume TJ would be the same.
This is what I'm trying to figure out… Trader Joe's doesn't sell much of their own branded wine but they do have exclusive agreements with many winemakers to sell their brands in store. So the bottle doesn't SAY 'Trader Joes' on it anywhere (not even under the 'distributed by' header) and TJ's really has nothing to do with the production of it, but you can't usually buy that wine anywhere else except inside a Trader Joe's store. That's a little different than many of their food times, as well as 'Kirkland' branded wine at costco, where they either own the producer outright and/or have rights to brand their product(s) as 'Kirkland' or 'Trader Joes' or whatever.

It's an important distinction if laws about franchising are in question. I suppose the only way to answer it is to drive up to the downtown Denver store and see for myself. I could try calling but I'm not too sure I'd happen to get someone who even knows and I'd probably just end up frazzling some port young clerk. It's important for me to know if there's any chance the COS will end up selling wine or not because, like someone else said, a Trader Joe's store without wine is like a tennis match without a net… the equipment, audience and players are there, but it just doesn't work.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:44 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,459,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
It's important for me to know if there's any chance the COS will end up selling wine or not because, like someone else said, a Trader Joe's store without wine is like a tennis match without a net… the equipment, audience and players are there, but it just doesn't work.
Easy answer. Colorado law will prohibit TJ's from selling wine at any store in Colorado Springs. The only way TJ's will ever sell wine in Colorado Springs, is if the law is changed.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:28 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,360,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Easy answer. Colorado law will prohibit TJ's from selling wine at any store in Colorado Springs. The only way TJ's will ever sell wine in Colorado Springs, is if the law is changed.
Which law are you referring to? The one that prohibits anything> than 3.2 AC to be sold within a grocery store? Or one about not allowing liquor stores to be chains?

Because if it's the former, there is a workaround, which is to have a separate stores like the one they already have in downtown Denver. If it's the latter, I still haven't found any clear resource to confirm that such a law exists, but assuming it does then I agree. That would prohibit liquor sales at any COS store assuming all TJ's liquor stores would be part of the same 'chain'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs