Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 07:43 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,584,583 times

Advertisements

The one that they have in Denver is the single store where TJ and Costco have their liquor license. It isn't about chains having a license or not, they can only have a single store per license. Every other location of the chain can only sell 3.2.

I'm going up to Denver Wednesday for TJ and Costco for a booze run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 01:49 AM

7,138 posts, read 10,965,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Which law are you referring to? The one that prohibits anything> than 3.2 AC to be sold within a grocery store? Or one about not allowing liquor stores to be chains?

Because if it's the former, there is a workaround, which is to have a separate stores like the one they already have in downtown Denver. If it's the latter, I still haven't found any clear resource to confirm that such a law exists, but assuming it does then I agree. That would prohibit liquor sales at any COS store assuming all TJ's liquor stores would be part of the same 'chain'.
What are you asking? Separate stores = a chain. Thats illegal in Colorado.

Colorado law prohibits a retail liquor store licensee from owning an interest in more than one retail liquor store. TJ's already owns an interest in one retail liquor store in Denver. They can't own another one. There is no workaround for that, other then changing the law.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:49 AM

481 posts, read 1,292,715 times
Look at this article from 5280. It explains a bit of Colorado liquor laws and even mentions TJ's original reluctance to come to Colorado.

Break It Down: Colorado Beer and Liquor Code | 5280

Old 03-25-2014, 04:52 AM

Another good article on the subject of package liquor laws in Colorado: 5 Myths of Having Full-Strength Beer in Colorado Grocery Stores

Is there a specific law that prohibits chain liquor stores in Colorado? No. But the way the law is written it pretty much makes it an impossibility.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:20 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,349,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
What are you asking? Separate stores = a chain. Thats illegal in Colorado.

Colorado law prohibits a retail liquor store licensee from owning an interest in more than one retail liquor store. TJ's already owns an interest in one retail liquor store in Denver. They can't own another one. There is no workaround for that, other then changing the law.
Ever notice how hard it is to find an actual LAW online, or to get whomever you're speaking with to do the same? Maybe the lawyers keep it that way so that we can't just google whatever they went to 100k of schooling for. I guess I'll just take your word for it this time since everyone here seems to agree that it exists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlekw View Post
Is there a specific law that prohibits chain liquor stores in Colorado? No. But the way the law is written it pretty much makes it an impossibility.
Thanks, that's kind of how I was reading it too in the little bit of research I did yesterday.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Ever notice how hard it is to find an actual LAW online, or to get whomever you're speaking with to do the same? Maybe the lawyers keep it that way so that we can't just google whatever they went to 100k of schooling for. I guess I'll just take your word for it this time since everyone here seems to agree that it exists.
Cripes, yes. Finding an actual law is some kind of challenge, for sure. The best I could come up with is this: http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite...&ssbinary=true

Have fun wading through 58 pages of liquor code...

Old 03-26-2014, 07:06 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,965,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlekw View Post
Cripes, yes. Finding an actual law is some kind of challenge, for sure. The best I could come up with is this: http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite...&ssbinary=true

Have fun wading through 58 pages of liquor code...
I'll save everybody the trouble. Here is the relevant part.

12-47-407. Retail liquor store license. (4) It is unlawful for any owner, part owner, shareholder, or person interested directly or indirectly in a retail liquor store to conduct, own either in whole or in part, or be directly or indirectly interested in any other business licensed pursuant to this article; except that such a person may have an interest in an arts license or an airline public transportation system license granted under this article, or in a financial institution referred to in section 12-47-308 (4).

TJ's as the owner of a liquor store in Denver, can't own either in whole or in part, or be directly or indirectly interested in any other liquor store in Colorado.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:15 PM

^ Thank you.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:03 PM

812 posts, read 1,462,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
TJ's as the owner of a liquor store in Denver, can't own either in whole or in part, or be directly or indirectly interested in any other liquor store in Colorado.
Not TJ related exactly, but Colorado has a few other tragically antiquated laws on the books, like the "common law marriage" thing, which may have made sense back in the 1860's when you'd have to ride your horse for several days to find a justice of the peace to get married. Anymore, it's just a trap for the unwary to get caught up in unintentional divorce property division proceedings. Oh well, still a great state. I'd change a few things if I were emperor, but alas I'm not.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:05 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,584,583 times
Went to the TJ's today on 8th and Colorado. Parking is terrible! We were there about 2:30ish today (Wednesday). But, the selection and prices are very good. We got a bunch of $2.99 chuck

What I really liked seeing and I can't wait to have in a store closer to COS is the heirloom tomatoes and even the heirloom cherry tomatoes. Their prices for cheese were very good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs