U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 08:36 AM

841 posts, read 1,249,665 times

Advertisements

University Village is starting to anger me because of the sharp increase in traffic. Ah well. I went yesterday, parked by Costco, to check out Trader Joe's. I think I will return on a Saturday night to avoid the crowds and see if there is anything I'd like. The traffic there is atrocious. I'd like to let people know, who don't go to that area much, that there are *three* entrances to University Village. You don't have to go to the main, second, entrance to go shopping. Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 09:56 AM

926 posts, read 1,031,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post
University Village is starting to anger me because of the sharp increase in traffic. Ah well. I went yesterday, parked by Costco, to check out Trader Joe's. I think I will return on a Saturday night to avoid the crowds and see if there is anything I'd like. The traffic there is atrocious. I'd like to let people know, who don't go to that area much, that there are *three* entrances to University Village. You don't have to go to the main, second, entrance to go shopping. Sigh.
Yes ... it's very confusing, isn't it? I wonder if it isn't easier to come in from Woodmen.

I went with a friend on Tues. Coming from the west on Garden of the Gods Rd. to the light at Nevada, the line of cars was insane. I said "I bet they're all going to TJ's" and indeed they were. However, once we got in, we found a close in parking spot (miracle). But the store itself was so crowded it was hard to see all the products.

I wasn't all that impressed - many prices were the same as, if not higher than, what I get at King Soopers ... at least as far as produce went. They do have some interesting products, though. I was just expecting a lot more and a store that was much larger than this one.

Surprisingly, check-out went quickly and efficiently.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:14 AM

12,667 posts, read 10,746,745 times
I went the day after opening, Sat, also to that lil Farmers Market there.
Had no trouble parking close, checked out fast.

My sister has tried most everything at TJ's,
so sent me a list of dos and don'ts.
Funny bec I went right to the don'ts and remembered...lil jars of eggplant or artichoke spreads, fun on crackers
with company, too watery.
Never buy any soaps there, all watery, thin and none of the pumps work well...she has
tried them all, some soaps sticky.

Authenica Salsa very good, a smooth type, not chunky. I liked it. $1.69?
Calif Estate EVOO 16.9 ounces, excellent, but I didn't see any...she is an Ex Vir Olive Oil connosieur, sp ...expert. Ha!
Catfood cans, tuna is the best at 52 cents...hallelujah, my cat actually liked IT!
(Can't eat chicken all of a sudden, great.)
Vodka marinara sauce good buy.
Then she gave me a list of the chips that were very good, sorry cant remember.
Artichokes in jar very good not too oily
All their cut flowers excellent and veggies...

Her list was long, that's all I remember. I love sisters.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:23 AM

5,007 posts, read 6,685,971 times
You can also park across Nevada - there is an overflow lot there that is right across from Trader Joe's and is usually empty.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:30 PM

574 posts, read 624,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
I wasn't all that impressed - many prices were the same as, if not higher than, what I get at King Soopers ... at least as far as produce went. They do have some interesting products, though. I was just expecting a lot more and a store that was much larger than this one.
It's a mistake to think of Trader Joe's as a grocery store like King Soopers. It's more of a specialty foods store.

I haven't been to the new one here in COS yet, but when I lived in Boston there was one in my neighborhood. Skip the produce.... it always seemed to me like they carried a small selection for people who couldn't be bothered to go to a supermarket to get something to go with their dinner, but the quality and prices weren't comparable to the "real" supermarkets. For me the attraction at TJ's was their prepared foods, especially the frozen ethnic foods and the salads. The bakery was OK and they have a good selection of cereal and snack foods.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:54 PM

409 posts, read 558,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
It's a mistake to think of Trader Joe's as a grocery store like King Soopers. It's more of a specialty foods store.
Yep. I could never do all of my shopping there, like I'd never shop at Whole Foods. But I've wandered King Soopers for 20 minutes, asking every poor clerk I could find if they had Samosas, which I could swear I've seen at King Soopers, and I confused every one of them. If I want something like that, I can get it at TJs. If I want a fancy salsa or sauce for company, TJs is a good place to go. If I want nuts, TJs has good prices and great flavors. Their pine nuts are especially affordable, compared to every place else that carries them (without buying a ten lb Costco bag).

I rarely buy produce, staples, or that sort of thing at TJs. But for the out of the ordinary stuff, or if I'm not *quite* sure what I want but I know it has to be interesting, or I really know that I want pistachio toffee crack, I'll run in there.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:44 AM

5,007 posts, read 6,685,971 times
I'm one of those that would be likely to occasionally shop at something like a TJ's or Natural Grocer's for full grocery shopping or at least as close as I can get to it because quality is good and size of store is small - sometimes I just don't want to go to a huge store. Out of the big grocery stores, I like King Soopers and Safeway fine, but man, every time I go to Walmart because it happens to be the one closest to home, the check-out line experience alone is always terrible. TJ's checkout experience was fantastic - hope it stays that way.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:28 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,351,692 times
How are their cans of Coke?

Old 10-19-2014, 10:14 PM

492 posts, read 837,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
Yep. TJ's is my main grocery store here in the Seattle area. What I like about them is that you can usually be confident that the ingredient list of an item is small, not chock full of unpronounceable things and trans fats. Also TJ's has numerous organic items and their prices are often very good for the level of quality. When the lines are full you hear the bell ring and another checker appears (usually). I still go to Safeway and Costco for the rest of my shopping.

When I read that COS was getting a TJ's I put it at the top of my list of cities to move to. I may have gotten by with Sprouts; we don't have one of those here.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:28 PM

492 posts, read 837,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
I wasn't all that impressed - many prices were the same as, if not higher than, what I get at King Soopers.
Compare ingredients. If King Soopers is like Safeway, there will more likely than not be chemicals and trans fats in processed foods. At TJ's there will likely be no trans fats, cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup, and overall more recognizable ingredients. There are a few things I won't get at TJ's because Safeway or Costco is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs