Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2014, 02:03 PM

208 posts, read 305,478 times

Advertisements

We're going to find an extended stay place in the Springs while we look for a house. I ran across a place called American Home Suites at 4300 N Nevada that has great rates, and the pictures make it look like it has been completely refinished.

Then I went on Google StreetView and saw this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8951...7g!2e0!6m1!1e1

I'm guessing and hoping the imaging is just really outdated and that it is a lot nicer now.

Anyone drive by that place recently and have any thoughts on it? Any concerns staying in a location like that for a few weeks with a wife and kids? I don't know much about that area of town.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 06:15 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,420 times
That neighborhood has improved so much over the last few years!! It's near Colorado University at Colorado Springs. There is a beautiful new shopping center nearby. Not bad at all!!!

Old 03-29-2014, 07:53 AM

727 posts, read 1,365,981 times
Sorry, but I disagree. The University Village Shopping center is beautiful and is a jewel in that area, along with the UCCS campus. They form the basis for future redevelopment of the N. Nevada corridor south of the shopping center and north of Fillmore (about a mile in length), which is where the motel in question is located. I drive that section of N. Nevada every day and it's seldom that I don't see some type of police activity at one of the motels along that strip. Just a couple of days ago I saw the police arresting someone for what appeared to be a drug bust. In the past, I've seen what appear to be domestic disputes with police on the scene. In addition to the motels, that strip is also a light industrial area. N. Nevada itself is a highly traveled road at just about any time of the day or night. Those motels are all inexpensive and, for the most part, appear to be pretty run down. The motel in question does appear to have been updated recently and is probably in the best shape of any of them. IMO, if you have the resources, I'd suggest one of the hotels along I-25 as opposed to those along N. Nevada or S. Nevada for that matter, especially with kids. A couple of posters on the forum have recommended the Drury Inn on Academy at I-25 while they were in town on a house hunting trip.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:55 AM

114 posts, read 125,574 times
I wouldn't stay there. They may have remodeled, but many of the hotels/motels on that area of Nevada are used for housing people in the correctional work release programs. Crime, alcohol/drug abuse, and transients.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:25 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,027,375 times
Good motels at I-25 exits for Woodmen Road (exit 149), N.Academy Blvd (exit 150), Briargate Pkwy (exit 151) and Interquest Pkwy (exit 153). Good eats at those exits too. Exit 151 has shopping at the Promenade Shops if you're interested in doing any of that.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:57 PM

Thanks everyone. Looks like we'll try someplace else. Might be an excuse to finally try Airbnb...

Old 04-03-2014, 07:45 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,098,145 times
If you're considering hotels, I'd suggest the Microtel on Woodmen. They occasionally have room saver coupons, if you're lucky enough to have them not be filled up. They provide a better service to price ratio (aka value) compared to other hotels. I think it's around 70$/night, but the quality is what you'd expect around 90.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:06 AM

We actually ended up rolling the dice on an airbnb house. Got a great deal in a location close to downtown. I'll report back on how it goes

Old 04-12-2014, 10:03 PM

We're closing in on our second night at our Airbnb reservation. Our stay so far rivals that of the finest hotels in town, and a fraction of the price. Fridge was stocked with (free!) water bottles, orange juice, yogurt and snacks for the kids. Fresh flowers in several rooms. Fresh fruit in a bowl on the kitchen table. We still have several days left here, but I don't see any reason I won't give these hosts an insanely good review. We even spent some time out by a chiminea with our hosts tonight and had a great conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs