U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 10:29 PM

35 posts, read 31,052 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking of moving back to the Springs after 20 years in Northern Ca. After looking via Google Earth we are curious about the areas around Patty Jewett Golf Course. We plan to rent at this point. I grew up on the West side but I am also curious about the areas around PJ. Seems south of course has older duplexes and Old North End more home owners as well as what seems to be called the Patty Jewett neighborhood. Could some one advise us. We are looking for rentals that are quiet, older, charming and under $1000/mo. Can't seem to find much on the forum for the housing around PJ. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 06:32 AM

5,005 posts, read 6,681,120 times
I think nearly everyone would consider that a great neighborhood but I doubt there is much in the given price range.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:37 AM

666 posts, read 987,914 times
The western part of PJ is very nice and kept up nicely. The further east you go, it declines just a little. It doesn't take a drastic turn, there is just a little bit less upkeep of properties. Again, it's not bad, but there is a little bit of a difference.

Same goes with the area just south of PT, which is Shooks Run. The further south you go, the houses are just a little less kept up, but the prices start going down a bit. Shooks Run is still a great neighborhood. It more resembles Old Colorado City then it does PJ and ONEN (Old North End). We live in Shooks Run and it is a quiet and nice neighborhood. Crime is not high, lots of college kids, which means lots of rentals.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:03 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,702,524 times
IIRC the houses in that area are very expensive. Over 250k for most, with some over 400k. Please correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure Beezle would know.

1000/month = 12,000/year. 12,000 / 250k = 4.8%. Following the rule of thumb for landlords of treating one half of gross rent as covering non-financing expenses, would leave 2.4% with which to provide a return to the investor and the bank. Mortgage rates are running 4.4% and the lowest they dipped was about 3.25%. If any house is being rented out for a capitalization rate of 2.4%, it means the market is completely out of whack. The only way to find a house for under 1,000 / month there is to find a house worth about 100,000. I don't think there are any of those. Perhaps if you could find absentee owners that didn't want to be involved (a lot of extra leg work) you could acquire a house worth 125 to 130k as a rental under that price, but they won't be readily available in the market.

PS. Owning is usually cheaper than renting. If you were planning to own and had a 20% down payment, you may very well be able to find a house where the mortgage payment is under $1,000 / month.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:07 AM

35 posts, read 31,052 times
Thank you all for your sage advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs