U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,245 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I will be visiting Colorado Springs from August 25th through September 5th. We're considering staying at the Stagecoach Motel on S Nevada Ave. We don't have a whole lot of money to spend, and the reviews of the motel seem to be pretty good (4 stars on tripadvisor). However, I have also read posts from people saying that the neighborhood is extremely sketchy and should be avoided at all costs.

As you can probably understand, we're a bit torn. The price is great and most reviews are good, but I don't want to risk staying in a very bad neighborhood, with us having to leave our passports and things we buy behind. Can anybody tell me what you would advise? Some other good, not too expensive, motel/hotel suggestions would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 03:46 PM

482 posts, read 933,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xot88 View Post
Hi all,

My girlfriend and I will be visiting Colorado Springs from August 25th through September 5th. We're considering staying at the Stagecoach Motel on S Nevada Ave. We don't have a whole lot of money to spend, and the reviews of the motel seem to be pretty good (4 stars on tripadvisor). However, I have also read posts from people saying that the neighborhood is extremely sketchy and should be avoided at all costs.

As you can probably understand, we're a bit torn. The price is great and most reviews are good, but I don't want to risk staying in a very bad neighborhood, with us having to leave our passports and things we buy behind. Can anybody tell me what you would advise? Some other good, not too expensive, motel/hotel suggestions would be great!
I can't really recommend staying in any of the hotels along that stretch of S. Nevada. They tend to cater to the homeless and transient population that can only scrape up enough money to pay the cheap weekly rates. The Stagecoach is right in the midst of the South Nevada freak show. Prostitutes and drug dealers frequent that strip as well as a fair share of panhandlers. If you leave them alone, they will leave you alone but it's not a pleasant spot for a vacation stay.

If you're looking for a cheap weekly motel to enjoy a vacation I'd suggest looking into the motels of W. Colorado/East Manitou Ave., especially the ones within the Manitou Springs city limits. They're only a little more expensive than the hotels on South Nevada but it's a much better area. I've seen weekly rates under $200 in many of them. Enjoy your visit to Colorado Springs!

Last edited by Littlekw; 04-07-2014 at 03:55 PM..

Old 04-07-2014, 04:42 PM

574 posts, read 628,529 times
Another vote for avoiding that sleazy neighborhood on S. Nevada!

A few years ago, when I was preparing to relocate to Colorado Springs and making multiple trips here, I ended up staying at the Travelodge on 26th & Cimarron on the west side. It was very cheap -- the rooms seemed a little shabby but were clean and quiet. Free wireless and a decent breakfast buffet. I wouldn't leave valuables unattended in any hotel room, though; better to lock them in the trunk of your car.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,245 times
Thank you guys so much! We just booked our stay at the Rainbow Lodge on W Colorado Ave. Seems like a much nicer place, and the price is quite good as well.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:00 PM

20,363 posts, read 37,902,723 times
Quote:
Thank you guys so much! We just booked our stay at the Rainbow Lodge on W Colorado Ave. Seems like a much nicer place, and the price is quite good as well.
That puts you almost in Manitou Springs, which is a really cool place with lots of good eats and shops. Also puts you on the western edge of "Old Colorado City" (OCC) with more good eats and shops.

From where you're staying it's an easy trip up Hwy 24 to Woodland Park to the Donut Mill
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:54 PM

482 posts, read 933,287 times
Quote:
Excellent choice. The Rainbow is a decent place in a much better part of town. Cheap, a little rundown but SAFE. :-) I hope you enjoy a beautiful trip to an amazing city and region.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:56 PM

20,363 posts, read 37,902,723 times
This is now its own thread, hopefully the Original Poster (OP) will ask all his questions here, keep us informed of their plans and update us after his visit.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:25 PM

574 posts, read 628,529 times
To add a bit about other hotels I have some personal knowledge about:

My cats and I stayed at the Drury Inn at I25/N Academy for a few days when I had hardwood floors installed in my house and we had to get away from the noise and fumes. It was definitely more upscale than the Travelodge, but it seemed to be a favorite with families and I definitely noticed the screaming kids running around in the hallway outside my room. Pet-friendly, obviously, too -- I think the reason why I ended up there is that I found an online special rate and they didn't charge extra for the cats. There are a bunch of other hotels/motels at that exit, plus restaurants and shopping, but it's a little out of the way to use as a base for sightseeing.

A friend of mine has stayed with his dog at the Motel 6 off Garden of the Gods Road a couple times and said it was fine. (OTOH, his dog is *big*, nobody is going to mess with them anyway!) There are several other chain motels in that area, too.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:32 PM

50 posts, read 61,107 times
I stayed at the motel 6 a few times at I-25 between Garden of the Gods and Fillmore and it was completely fine. You can do much better than south Nevada. It isn't worth saving the couple dollars.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:41 PM

18 posts, read 37,220 times
I have to throw out my preference: The Academy off I-25 and Academy. They have a wonderful complimentary breakfast with made to order omelets and waffle bar. And if you make your reservations directly with them, they also give you one per room $10 dinner voucher to the Falcon Restaurant/Bar inside the hotel. Pretty good food there, also. The value of the breakfast and the voucher with their excellent rates, can't be beat. Not sure, but ask them about weekly/monthly rates.
I know they have been remodeling, but because I use the accessible room, it had not been re-modeled yet. But even so, it was nice. Staff was very friendly, called us by name. We stayed at the Academy while our home was being built. We would travel from AZ once a month to check on progress, make decisions, etc. They are independently owned - not a chain.
The upper floors with a view price out more, I think. And they do have a wing that allows pets - not sure if they charge extra or not. Check them out on the website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or