U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 09:09 AM

27 posts, read 35,022 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to COS in June, and looking for a recommendation for a good gym....one with an excellent weight room with clean, up to date equipment. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 09:29 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,709,785 times
If you are willing to spend a fairly large amount on a gym, I would recommend the lifetime fitness off powers. IMO it is the finest gym in the city. Note: I recommend this place because you did not mention cost as a constraint. It isn't cheap. If you need to find the best valuable, or a low cost gym that is still clean, that would be entirely different. If you're making 6 figures or are okay with giving a much larger percent of a lower income to the gym, you would probably love the lifetime.

Here is a side view from powers:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9696...VXHRCK8Mhg!2e0

Here is their website:
https://www.lifetimefitness.com/en/c...o/your-lt.html

Old 04-08-2014, 09:43 AM

27 posts, read 35,022 times
Thanks, looking at their website they don't provide pricing without requesting it...do you know approximately how much per month it is there? Should have said would like north side of COS (as this one is) but don't really require all the "fluff" of some gyms, just good weight room and cardio equipment. To put into perspective, my wife and I pay $89/mo for both of us at our current gym.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:49 AM

553 posts, read 1,416,071 times
Depends a lot on where you live. There's at least one Gold's Gym, several 24 Fitness centers, several YMCAs, and a ton of independant gyms. The YMCAs probably don't have the weight room environment you're looking for, but all the others would. I suspect your best bet will be to find a place to live, and then visit the gyms nearby for a tour.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:06 PM

5,011 posts, read 6,693,737 times
If you're willing to pay like $75ish a month VillaSport is awesome. If you want to pay a more traditional rate, you kind of need to shop around - places with the same name can be better or worse depending on location. There aren't any I've been that I love aside from those high-end places like VillaSport and Lifetime, but I'm not going to pay that much unless they're located right near where I live and neither of those are close to home for me.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:38 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,354,768 times
I would look up the closest crossfit facility to wherever you'll be and just do that.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:00 AM

641 posts, read 1,956,398 times
If you don't care for the fluff, there's also a new Planet Fitness that opened up right off Powers and Constitution.

It looks pretty big from the outside, but I haven't been in. I know they're rates are very reasonable. There are a couple of Golds gyms in town as well (1 off Briargate, and 1 off Academy). There are the mega-gyms, like Lifetime and VillaSport as well.

I don't care for the mega gyms, because you're paying for all the overhead, like hair salons, a cafe', and a very big staff.

Wait until you figure our where you're going to live, and see what's around you.

I've been a member of a couple of them, (Golds and Lifetime), at one time or another, and now just go to a neighborhood Fitness 19. It's right down the street from my house. It's small, but cheap and has no frills, and it's fine for me.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:07 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,709,785 times
Isn't planet fitness the place with the "no lunkheads" and crap like that? /googles. Yep. They suck (no offense to terytee, I'm judging the gym, not the customer), they've got some negative press for discriminatory actions. I'd never consider doing business with that chain.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:43 PM

12 posts, read 14,920 times
When I lived there a few years back, I had memberships to World's Gym and 24 Hour Fitness. They were both good, not a lot of lunk types. I would check both out if World's Gym is still around.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:04 PM

770 posts, read 3,326,937 times
Accolade Fitness, off Garden of the Gods and Centennial, is pretty reasonable in a no-frills way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or