U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 11:21 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,360,320 times

Advertisements

I am just curious from people who live in the Springs is the pot hole problem really as bad as the media makes it out to be? It seems like all I hear is how bad it is and politicians want to declare a state of emergency. Yes I heard that on KRDO. So I want to know from the locals is it that bad or are they blowing it out of per-portion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 06:33 AM

5,007 posts, read 6,689,931 times
We get potholes all over every spring - the freeze/thaw cycle does that. In some places it is bad and they do need to be taken care of. There is a lane of the Interstate that seems pretty bad just south of the Motor City curve, and areas all over neighborhoods. But to me it is this way every year, and is something that needs to be taken care of every year, and so you would think government would budget for it every year. But just because that seems to logical to me, well you know.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:29 AM

553 posts, read 1,415,613 times
As I understand it, there IS money in the city budget for pothole repair, but when you do a quick fill on a pothole, it's not going to last very long...maybe until next winter. The emergency spending concept isn't to do more hot fills, it's to mill the pavement down where the potholes present the greatest problem, so a more permanent repair can be made....something that will last much longer.

Also, we're not talking about a state of emergency akin to the Waldo Canyon fire. It's just the requirement to tap into the city's reserves. Generally, about 25% of the budget is held aside for emergencys. The Mayor and Council are saying that repairing our streets is a big enough emergency to warrant tapping into that reserve fund, such that only about 19% of the remaining budget will be held aside.

Again, I'm no expert, but it sounds like we're going to dedicate reserve tax dollars to do a more permanent repair than the line item already in the budget to do quick fixes on the potholes. No additional taxes. Better repairs than those already covered by the budget. Some risk, should another catastrophe occur. Personally, I think they got this right.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:06 AM

20,313 posts, read 37,815,914 times
Every city with a freeze thaw cycle gets potholes. I drove I-75 in Florida last year and loved that glass smooth road surface. But it's Florida .... heat, humidity, bugs, tourists, spring breakers, crime, hurricanes, etc, so it isn't worth living there.

I expect better from our local government but with not one but two TABOR laws to suffer under this city is way underfunded, for potholes and most everything else. Our local TV stations make it sound like a big deal that they "found" the money, but it seems some stupidity is in evidence: one guys says there is no money but another says yes, you do have the money, and it's over here in the budget. Be nice if our city voters could elect some adult leadership for a change. Maybe next time? Hah! I don't like the situation but it is what it is and at least I don't have to drive to work every day.

One key reason we have so many potholes is that our streets are is poor repair to start with. There is money enough to repave only 2% of our lane-miles per year (instead of the normal 10%). Do the math and that's a 50-year wait for some streets to get repaved. Meanwhile, our "strong mayor" (you know, the former wife beater) daydreams (hallucinates is more like it) that he can bring 6000 new jobs a year here, despite our infrastructure being second rate and heading south. Laughing stock? You bet he is.

I drive Union Blvd several days a week and the stretch from Lexington down to Fillmore is nothing but a series of patches, with some patches being 200 feet long. The left and right curb lanes are "spider webbed" with disintegration and crumbling, thus the long patches. The middle lane is decent and smart drivers stay in the middle one. Spider-webbed lanes are porous, water soaks in, freezes, the blacktop crumbles and the lanes become a long set of potholes at this time of year.

Powers Blvd used to have a lot of potholes and patches but it got paved last year since the state took it over and it has the money to do maintenance....the state has only one TABOR law to worry about. Holding the line on taxes is the right idea, but like everything else these days it's gone overboard to an extreme.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:59 AM

So if I am understanding you correctly because of the tabor limits the Springs is unable to fix the pot hole problem like most cities do?

Old 04-09-2014, 11:24 AM

553 posts, read 1,415,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
So if I am understanding you correctly because of the tabor limits the Springs is unable to fix the pot hole problem like most cities do?
Not at all. Potholes get repaired. There's even a pot-hole-reporting line at the City Maintenance center, and they'll respond. My wife reported several on Westwood, and the city was out repairing them within 4-5 days.

The issue is a more permanent effort to remove the root cause of the potholes, rather than doing a temporary fix. The permanent solution is more expensive, in the short term, but a much better solution long-term. And, the money that will be used for this fix is not a line item in the budget. TABOR makes it just about impossible to fund a new line item. So the Mayor has pushed using some of the Emergency Reserve Fund to do so, and it sounds like Council (for a change) agreed.

Is the situation an emergency? Not even close, but this is the closest thing to a discretionary account the Powers That Be have to pay for an unfunded project.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:56 PM

666 posts, read 988,921 times
Josseppie is trollin so he can talk smack about the Springs. The guy really should get a key to the city of Pueblo. At least recognized as the official mascot or something.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:01 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,353,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allprolab View Post
Josseppie is trollin so he can talk smack about the Springs. The guy really should get a key to the city of Pueblo. At least recognized as the official mascot or something.
I can't tell if you're just joking, but it's obvious that Josseppie is no troll. His preferences differ from a lot of others, which is what makes him a good asset to this forum. I don't always agree with him either, but he's always been respectful and reasonable. Not a troll.

We have all kinds of potholes up here in Northern EPC. Fixing them was actually a stance for some of the recent mayoral candidates in my area, but I don't expect that to happen anytime soon regardless of who won.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:44 PM

841 posts, read 1,250,174 times
North Carefree can be bad, but it's been fixed for a couple months. The really bad stretch for me was on Constitution between Circle and Union- after the flooding over the summer, and the freeze-thaw cycle, it was really, really bad. It's been (poorly) patched.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
I can't tell if you're just joking, but it's obvious that Josseppie is no troll. His preferences differ from a lot of others, which is what makes him a good asset to this forum. I don't always agree with him either, but he's always been respectful and reasonable. Not a troll.

We have all kinds of potholes up here in Northern EPC. Fixing them was actually a stance for some of the recent mayoral candidates in my area, but I don't expect that to happen anytime soon regardless of who won.

Thanks.

This has been something I have been wondering about as I have not driven in the Springs in months and all I keep reading or hearing in the news is how bad the pot hole problem is there then I drive around here and its not bad. So I wondered if it was the news making more out of it then it is or what? So I thought why not ask people who actually live and drive there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs