U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 05:51 PM

4 posts, read 5,285 times

Advertisements

I've been lurking around here for awhile because my husband and I were considering a move here. Well, now we are here and we've decided to relocate for sure. We have 3 young children and my husband is a civilian who will be working at the AFA. We were originally quite set on living in D20 for the schools and secondarily, proximity to my husband's job.

We saw some of the new homes at Stonewater, which is in D20 and 5 minutes from the AFA. We loved what we saw / could build, but the lots felt cramped and it is at the top of our price range. The houses there feed into da Vinci Elem, Discovery Canyon MS & HS.

The same builder has a development, Meridian Ranch, in D49. The lots were a lot roomier and the neighborhood has tons of amenities - rec center w pools & exercise classes, swim / gymnastics lessons, walking paths. Plus, the overall feel of the development was more spacious -- I felt like Stonewater was squished inside a business park. The houses there feed into Meridian Creek International, then Falcon MS, and Falcon HS.

Houses that are identical to one another (same model, same builder) are significantly less expensive at Meridian Creek (D49) than at Stonewater (D20).

Is winter weather something we should be concerned about for my husband's commute if we chose the farther location? Should we avoid the schools there??

I'd really appreciate any insight that you folks might have. Help!!

Many thanks-

k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 05:54 PM

Not sure that this is a consideration or not, but our children do not have any special needs. Our oldest would likely be in the gifted program (at least she is where we currently live) and while the other 2 are too young to say, they are certainly very bright and enthusiastic kids who I assume will be very good students.

Last edited by kmmck; 04-30-2014 at 06:48 PM..

Old 04-30-2014, 06:33 PM

409 posts, read 557,836 times
I don't have personal experience with D49, but largely I've heard that there are problems. We were looking at a home in Meridian Ranch, and the builder rep we talked to was real gung ho on D49 schools, but she sent her kids to D20. The psychologist that we've been working with (both my kids are ADHD) has significant experience with D20 and D49, and she said that we were in a good place in D20, relatively speaking.

We did seriously consider Falcon and Meridian Ranch, but I just couldn't stand being that far out of town.

We're in North Gate, in Da Vinci district, and couldn't be more thrilled. Both of my kids are gifted, AND ADHD. That's been a bit of a struggle, but the school has been good to work with. We're in Greyhawk, and there are a number of homes for sale in our subdivision. Not sure about your exact price range.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:47 PM

CharlotteRJ - Thanks so much for replying. I was actually secretly hoping you would (!) because in reading your past posts, you sound a lot like me in terms of your neighborhood preferences and style of schools that you prefer. Like you, we would have preferred to be in a neighborhood with a more urban feel, that's walkable, etc. I also want my kids to go to schools that are catering to the whole child and not just piling on homework and focusing on testing. Anyway, I'm glad that you have been very happy with your decision to be in the Northgate area.

Things just seem sort of busy and congested around here, but it's just very different from what I'm used to.

Thanks again!

Old 04-30-2014, 07:28 PM

409 posts, read 557,836 times
Also, if your husband is working at the USAFA, you might want to consider Monument and D38. That's an excellent district, by any account I've ever read or heard.

Hollyt00 - is your kid at AACL? I just toured there - going to apply for year after next.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:56 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,921,379 times
Meridian Ranch is one of the newest if not the newest school in D49 it is very well supported by the parents. It will also not face over-crowding because all of the "overflow" students will go into Woodmen Hills as the classrooms are capped.

Falcon Middle School is facing over-crowding now, hopefully the Falcon area will pass a bond measure in November which will help us build more schools.

D20 has passed such bond measures in the past to support education. Their schools are smaller. I have only heard excellent things about DCC.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:14 PM

Thank you to you all for your feedback and insight! I really appreciate all of it. We spent the past few days in a whirlwind, but ended up deciding to go with the Northgate location and the D20 schools. While I loved the amenities at Meridian Ranch and the elementary school looked excellent, we were a bit apprehensive about the MS and HS---plus, it was still much farther from my husband's job. So we stuck with our original plan for D20 and a very short commute.

Charlotte - we did look in Monument and were very drawn to D38. Unfortunately, we didn't find anything that we liked there.

We're very excited about our decision and we are so exciting to move out in June!

Thanks again for all the help!

Old 05-06-2014, 10:56 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,394,807 times
I went to D20 and graduated 2 years ago. It's a fairly good district. The teachers were good. However, at least Pine Creek was VERY heavily sports oriented, half of the students were choice in and not from the district area, due to sports or other reasons. The D49 schools are much more attractive and clean and new as far as the insides are concerned. Pine Creek was subpar in this area to every other school I've been to in town. And it didn't have lockers.

I'd say you'd be good at both districts though.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:03 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,394,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
Meridian Ranch is one of the newest if not the newest school in D49 it is very well supported by the parents. It will also not face over-crowding because all of the "overflow" students will go into Woodmen Hills as the classrooms are capped.

Falcon Middle School is facing over-crowding now, hopefully the Falcon area will pass a bond measure in November which will help us build more schools.

D20 has passed such bond measures in the past to support education. Their schools are smaller. I have only heard excellent things about DCC.
Kids who came to Pine creek from DCC hated it. I never knew why though. They said it was was the wall colors. I think that it was a stricter school though, so be prepared for that. People who I talked to that went there without transferring to Pine Creek liked it though.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:15 AM

309 posts, read 358,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Kids who came to Pine creek from DCC hated it. I never knew why though. They said it was was the wall colors. I think that it was a stricter school though, so be prepared for that. People who I talked to that went there without transferring to Pine Creek liked it though.

That made me laugh! The wall colours at DCC have been toned down (not because they bothered the majority of the student population, but because of maintenance issues). I have three students at DCC (two currently in the high school) and they are very happy there. It doesn't seem strict to me (though I went to a Catholic girls school, so I guess it wouldn't). Not all students are meant for a school. I know parents who love The Classical Academy for their kids but my youngest daughter knows quite a few kids in her class who have transferred to DCC because they absolutely hated TCA. (One friend was even on the brink of a breakdown before the transfer and gets teary eyed talking about "escaping from TCA.") One of the best things about D20 is the consistent overall quality of all the schools and the ability to choice into another great school if your neighbourhood school doesn't happen to work for your child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or