U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 11:42 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,118,686 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to possibly move to Colorado in 3 years, but I want to start doing my homework now. We currently live in south Louisiana and have our entire lives, however we have traveled the west many times and love the mountains and are both nature lovers. We are looking for an area that we can live that is rather secluded, we want views of mountains/trees, not city or other houses, but at the same time I'd like to be within decent driving distance of a town (such as Colorado Springs, possibly Denver or even Boulder). An hour commute at most. Husband wants to be able to hunt near home. He is a pipeliner so he travels out of state for work so commuting to work is not a factor for neither and no small children so schools are a non-issue as well. Can you tell me about some areas that would fit this criteria?

We are aware of the climate difference and I know adjusting to the winters would be challenging, mostly for me since my husband has worked in cold climates in many states. There are challenges no matter where you live. Here, our dreadful hot and humid summers are so severe, you can barely be outside a few minutes and be covered in sweat and hurricane seasons aren't much fun either. I've traveled to AK, MT, WY, CO many times and I always feel so at home when i'm there.

Last edited by Hollynla; 04-21-2014 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 02:20 PM

20,372 posts, read 37,921,184 times
For sure, it sounds as if you'd love Woodland Park and environs which sit at 9000+ feet, is mountain living, lots of nature, near hunting, an hour or less down Ute Pass via Hwy 24 to Colorado Springs.

Lots of threads on WP, find them with out search tool.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:03 AM

Thanks so much. I've been looking at lots of information about Woodland Park and the surrounding areas and I really like what I see. My husband and I will probably take a trip there just to drive around. There are some interested youtube videos of some of the drives from one town to another. The views are beautiful.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:49 AM

7 posts, read 8,820 times
Hi Hollynia my name is Patty and I too am from Southern La. Hammond area. I just bought 5 acres in the San Luis Valley near the the town of San Luis. It's the oldest settlement in the state and the county seat. I almost wrote parish. It is a beautiful area right at the base of the mountains. I talked about it so much my sister in B.R. bought a plot too. If you look up Reichwein Ranch & Land co. you will be able to see what I'm talking about. Julie, the owner, and her father are the largest land holders in the valley. Go to ebay and search colorado land and you will be able to see some of the land she has for sale. She carries the note with no finance charges or interest. You can tell her ads by the ribbon on the ad as she is the only one that give part of the proceeds to different charities. It's a great deal and gorgeous. Lots of wild life too. I'm want to build a strawbale house finished with adobe plaster and found that the barley grown for Coors beer is grown right there and will be able to buy it from the growers. The adobe will be made from the dirt from my land. That's cheap.Awesome!!! We have done a lot of research on alternative housing and this seems to be the best. Most of the valley uses solar energy and deep wells. No Entergy Bills!!!!!!! Look it up and enjoy Julies enthusiasm about the land. If you read her entire ad (took me almost 2 days lol) you will know what I mean.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:09 AM

Thanks Patty, sounds interesting and I will definitely look it up. I am in Livingston parish right now but lived in Ponchatoula also and originally from Harvey.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:07 PM

50 posts, read 61,128 times
I can't speak to the hunting issues exactly, but you might want to consider the Monument / Palmer Lake area for a rural feel close to Colorado Springs and also Perry Park in Douglas County. I assume from both areas you would have to get up hwy 24 or I-70 for hunting, but maybe up Mt. Herman road west of Monument -- I just don't know the regulations.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizlykdm View Post
I can't speak to the hunting issues exactly, but you might want to consider the Monument / Palmer Lake area for a rural feel close to Colorado Springs and also Perry Park in Douglas County. I assume from both areas you would have to get up hwy 24 or I-70 for hunting, but maybe up Mt. Herman road west of Monument -- I just don't know the regulations.
Thanks for the info, so you can't hunt, say around the Divide area or the more rural surroundings?

Old 04-29-2014, 05:06 PM

5,023 posts, read 6,723,958 times
Hunting is certainly around Divide, but you have to be in the right areas in the right seasons and with appropriate licensing. See Colorado Parks & Wildlife - Plan Your Hunt for more information.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Hunting is certainly around Divide, but you have to be in the right areas in the right seasons and with appropriate licensing. See Colorado Parks & Wildlife - Plan Your Hunt for more information.
Thanks for the link. We have set seasons and licensing here too but hunting very different animals, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or