Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 01:41 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times

Advertisements

Gordon Ramsay is bringing his Kitchen Nightmares to Woodland today and spotlight (or low light) Mangia Mangia. People say it'll take more than Gordon to bring it up to par, so it should be interesting. I had figured he'd stay at the Broadmoor, but someone on FB said he's staying at the Country Inn and Suites.

http://www.csindy.com/IndyBlog/archi...-woodland-park

Wish I could be up there this weekend to see the filming....the restaurant is on Grace St. behind Pizza Hut. But I'll be there next month, so I hope I'll hear all about it!

Last edited by Marcy1210; 08-03-2013 at 01:42 AM.. Reason: Added link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 02:29 AM

21 posts, read 37,155 times
I might have to mosey on over and see if I can catch a glimpse of him. I'm a huge fan!

Old 08-03-2013, 08:48 AM

115 posts, read 158,217 times
I'm a fan as well. I may end up making reservations.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:44 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
We've watched quite a few similar shows like "restaurant impossible" and what I see over and over is that too many people who really aren't "in the business" and don't know squat about it still go ahead and buy an eatery only to lose their asses financially because they've no idea how to run a restaurant from the front door to the kitchen to the bookkeeping.

Some don't even know what it costs them to put a plate of food on a table. Some buy frozen foods that cost 2-3 times as much as buying fresh ingredients and actually COOKING food from scratch. The filthy kitchens and storage areas in some of these mom-pop operations is enough to gag a bloodhound off a gut wagon.

Contrast those losers to the winning eateries one sees on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives (DDD) to see the level of effort and skill it takes to be a mom-pop success in the business. We hit a few of these places in our travels around the country and are not disappointed.

One such winner in Portland (VooDoo Donuts) is due to open a location in Denver this year; can't wait.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:26 PM

8 posts, read 25,501 times
I'm very much hoping he can turn this place around. Their food is subpar and the prices are ridiculous. We really need a good italian place in Woodland Park.

I would sacrifice five of our restaurants to get an actual, decent restaurant in Woodland Park.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:42 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
There are good breakfast places in Woodland Park, but a real, sit down dinner place seems to have a hard time making it.

I ate at Mangia Mangia right after it opened in 2010. The food was good, not great, but pretty expensive for what you got. It was fairly busy when I was there on a weeknight, but that might have been because it was new. It's been almost three years, so I don't know what it's like now.

I'll be curious to see if the Courier covers this "event" when I get my copy next Saturday.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:08 AM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
We've watched quite a few similar shows like "restaurant impossible" and what I see over and over is that too many people who really aren't "in the business" and don't know squat about it still go ahead and buy an eatery only to lose their asses financially because they've no idea how to run a restaurant from the front door to the kitchen to the bookkeeping.

Some don't even know what it costs them to put a plate of food on a table. Some buy frozen foods that cost 2-3 times as much as buying fresh ingredients and actually COOKING food from scratch. The filthy kitchens and storage areas in some of these mom-pop operations is enough to gag a bloodhound off a gut wagon.

Contrast those losers to the winning eateries one sees on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives (DDD) to see the level of effort and skill it takes to be a mom-pop success in the business. We hit a few of these places in our travels around the country and are not disappointed.

One such winner in Portland (VooDoo Donuts) is due to open a location in Denver this year; can't wait.

VOODOO DOUGHNUTS IS COMING TO DENVER???

This...is like a dream come true for me... So some of you know I used to live in the Pacific Northwest (Voodoo Doughnuts is in Portland) and some of you know I'm obsessed with/friends with/fan of the band GWAR. In 2009 I paid $60 for a custom order of Voodoo Doughnuts which I delivered to the band, they were supposed to be shaped like the guys in costume...they sort of were...but the gift was the cause of great delight by the guys and photos were taken by several band members and posted all over their social network pages. So here are pics of those doughnuts, as well as one of the popular varieties, the maple bacon bar, which is the favorite of their bassist (at the time) Casey Orr (shown chowing down on one.)

So now I need to be prepared to set aside $60 for custom doughnut orders every time they hit Denver...LOL!

EDIT: In case you couldn't tell, I'm freakin' excited! Ya done made my day, Mike!! Thanks!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Nightmares in Woodland Park-12576_673757652652080_1036927315_n.jpg   Kitchen Nightmares in Woodland Park-534211_673759049318607_1926064452_n.jpg   Kitchen Nightmares in Woodland Park-998452_673757642652081_1802519219_n.jpg   Kitchen Nightmares in Woodland Park-1002358_673757635985415_1547480791_n.jpg   Kitchen Nightmares in Woodland Park-1009806_673759182651927_1866716300_n.jpg  

Kitchen Nightmares in Woodland Park-999431_673759229318589_566852467_n.jpg  

Old 08-16-2013, 08:51 PM

13 posts, read 20,219 times
Angry Tried to get in while filming Kitchen Nightmares

I tried to get in while filming. I called and left a message that I had cancer and it would mean alot going thru all i went thru. They did not have the decency to even call back. Went today for lunch it was alot better than before limited menu.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:55 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
The TV show will be aired this evening, 7-9 PM, on the Fox network.

Here's a story in the local press.

After the cameras leave the eatery.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-25-2014 at 12:04 PM..

Old 04-25-2014, 05:08 PM

914 posts, read 2,204,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Some interesting observations. I am very familiar with a small restaurant chain (each location is run by a family member) in another state that has been using the same menu for 60 years. It was developed at a time when the fresh ingredients, authentic ethnic foods, and specialize equipment we take for granted today were unavailable; now they are stuck. They get awful reviews from first time visitors, but those of us who grew up with that menu would not ever come back if they change it.

I can cook, but there is no way I could operate a restaurant. I truly admire those who can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs