U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 08:23 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,704,040 times

Advertisements

Miss Hepburn,

I agree with your assessment. It is the assessment of someone who knows a great deal about a great many locations and who considers one stray bullet to be too much of a risk for their children. While crime here is very low compared to hell holes like Detroit and parts of Chicago, that is little consolation to the people that are shot, carjacked, or raped. Since I consider those activities happening just one time to be too much danger, I must agree with you that it is unwise to put your loved ones in an area where there is a higher risk of it happening.

LeavingIL,
I'm sorry for the tough upbringing you've had. It seems you may have felt slighted because some people can choose to avoid being around those areas, and do take the option to avoid them. It is not an insult aimed at you. I can assure you that I wouldn't be terrified of middle-class Chicago, but I also wouldn't choose to go exploring the more run down parts of the city. I am not terrified of the high crime areas here, but I make an intelligent and informed decision not to take the risk. Avoiding a needless risk is not equivalent to being terrified. It is equivalent to making a wise choice. We are not required to put our lives, or the lives of our loved ones at risk. Even if only one child in a hundred thousand is going to be gunned down for a gang initiation, for many of us, that risk level is simply too high. You might call that life sheltered, but we won't care what you call it, so long as our family is alive and well. Being called names by people that choose to partake in that culture is the least of our concerns.

Ageinco,
Despite the reputation this city gets for Bible thumping, I have not witnessed any more prejudicial behavior here than in normal small towns. Now, there is a lack of the blatant inclusion that cities like SF manage. I would not be concerned about the Briargate and the rest of the North. Nor have I witnessed hateful anti-gay behavior anywhere else in the city, however, as a straight man I am less likely to witness it. I would probably avoid the area immediately around FOTF, unless I was part of a large group intentionally moving there for the purpose of making it gay friendly.

Last edited by lurtsman; 05-05-2014 at 09:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 09:22 AM

666 posts, read 988,144 times
Maybe it's just me, but I prefer to live in an area where people actually cared about the value of their property as well as the value of the neighborhood. I don't have a chip on my shoulder telling me I can't live in a quality neighborhood because I won't be cultured enough. The people around me don't make me more or less cultured. My desire to learn about others and seeking information and traveling does that just fine.

Also, the general downtown area and OCC are considered more gay friendly because it is a more liberal leaning area. I really don't think this town is anti gay. Like the religion topic, it gets overblown due to extremist. If you're gay and thinking of moving here, please do. And bring your friends.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:59 AM

409 posts, read 558,067 times
I live in a pretty conservative part of town. I have a friend in the area who is bi, and ourspokenly liberal. She has friends in the neighborhood who don't care at all about her preferences, and she flies a rainbow flag. Nobody has given her trouble about that. However, when random very conservative neighbors friended her on FB, they could get nasty.

It depends on how much being friends with every neighbor matters, I think. I doubt anybody here would be openly hostile, but I know that's a far cry from being friendly. My policy has been to not talk politics or religion with neighbors, and I'm doing ok. I had to create a second fb profile, though.

I'd love it if we had more diversity at this end of town, but I know nobody wants to be a guinea pig.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:31 PM

47 posts, read 76,637 times
Thanks, all! Having lived in CO most of my life, the Springs always got a bad rap - especially when FOTF was a stronger organization, and before pastors started to get busted for, well, gay sex. :-P I drove around quite a bit over the weekend, and have a better idea of where we'd like to live. My partner works in Briargate, but I'm not sold on the vanilla blandness of the area (insert ongoing argument here). We'll see!

Old 05-05-2014, 01:02 PM

9,744 posts, read 6,273,073 times
I think personally that having a "very flexible" budget (in other words, the funds necessary to choose based on things besides just budget)... there are probably other factors that should matter more than gay friendliness. Because I really can't imagine anywhere that would be so very conservative as to be unfriendly to a couple because of that. I can, with a bit of a chuckle, imagine a few old biddies chatting over a dog walk about that new couple in the neighborhood, that GAY couple! But the novelty, if it even really exists, would dissipate in short order when even the most sheltered of your neighbors began to realize that you weren't conducting disco parties (chaps optional!) on the front lawn or whatever silly thing they think. lol People is people! I think most here realize that. Despite being somewhat more conservative than Denver, we're still part of the more progressive West here. In the office where I work, there are a number of openly gay people, my boss has purple hair, and many of us have tattoos. Try getting away with that in parts of the east, the south, the midwest! Nope. So settle in whatever part of town you fall in love with, and if you haven't fallen in love with anything yet, then rent somewhere convenient to your workplace(s) and explore from there!

As for the SE...agree that it's no "ghetto." CoS doesn't have one, that's all there is to it. But it is the least "desirable" part of town even though parts of it are nice, and even though the worst is not "bad" compared to the truly bad neighborhoods in most cities! For me, part of that is the school system. And an important thing to keep in mind is, even if a couple has no plans to have/get/raise kids...school system is relevant to property value for resale down the road. On one hand, if a person is content to live in D2, they might get a bargain on their property. On the other hand, the value is not likely to be a good ROI in the long run, in my opinion.

I often tell people, and it's true, Security-Widefield isn't that bad. We have our occasional crime incidents but not as much as a little further north, like from Milton Proby on north a ways... But if I had a workplace in Briargate, a "flexible" budget, and no kids in orchestra programs, I wouldn't have bought a house there. I don't think it's a good fit for you from what you've said. Other places certainly have much more character and charm!

So in terms of your environment...I get that you're not thrilled with "vanilla" subdivisions (can't blame ya!)...are you looking for old-town charm? A night life scene? (Confess, I think we're a little lame on that score), lots of cute shops and artsy stuff, general liberalism, cool houses with unusual character, something off the beaten path or rural...what does your dream look like? Find what makes you happy and the heck with the neighbors, if they've got a problem, they'll get over it.

Best of luck to you and yours!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or