U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2014, 12:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,246 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning on renewing our vows next Summer, most likely the last weekend of June or second weekend of July. Considering these are busy times, I wanted to get jump started on my planning.

I am in desperate need of help. I simply can't find a venue that fits our needs. It will be extremely small and intimate, 20 people or less. We only want to do a ceremony, no reception, as we just want to do a family picnic afterwards. Almost every venue I find requires a "wedding package" which includes a reception and it makes it expensive!

If I could find an open field in the middle of nowhere, I would do it there. That would honestly be ideal, but since I'm out of luck on that front, I need recommendations. Small, inexpensive venues.. Parks that are available for wedding that can be decorated.. Something. Every park I look into strictly prohibits decorations, or even chairs. An outdoor, open area venue would be perfect, but at this point I'm starting to become open to anything.

^ that is my dream set up, though I don't really expect to be able to make it happen.

Ideas for me, tips, recommendations?.. Honestly, I don't even know where to start. Our initial marriage was at a courthouse so this is all new. Thanks in advance for ANYTHING you can contribute.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 07:02 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,701,296 times
As you get farther from the city there should be more open areas with no one to enforce the rules. The point of those rules is to prevent people from deciding that they can occupy the park on an on-going basis, not to stop a wedding ceremony. A few authoritarians with a desperate need to feel important might try to get in your way, but most people are relatively good natured and would probably avoid interfering.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:43 AM

5,003 posts, read 6,678,903 times
Why don't you rent a large pavillion at one of the county parks? What parks have you checked? Did you check Fountain Creek Regional Park, Clear Springs Ranch, Fox Run Park, Lincoln Mountain Open Space (Douglas County)? Or literally go have it somewhere in the Pike National Forest, like the parking lot that is closed in front of Captain Jacks trail in North Cheyenne Canon, or up near the Crags trailhead, or everyone can drive up the Pikes Peak highway you can do it at one of the reservoirs there?

I think if you take an approach that doesn't require renting or reserving something your options may expand? Public congregation is perfectly legal. What if you asked people about having a birthday party with 20 guests instead of a wedding? It might be interesting to see how responses change. I have seen pavillions decorated for birthdays or military coming-home parties many times all over the place. Maybe people don't ask for permission - they ask for forgiveness.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:44 AM

666 posts, read 987,610 times
There is a plethora of places you could go have an outside wedding. We were married near Garden of the Gods and were not bothered at all. Of course the whole thing took about five minutes, but still. Plenty of open fields with beautiful views to do your dream there.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:03 AM

575 posts, read 668,946 times
A friend was married at Fox Run Regional park at the pavilion on the little lake it was pretty. It can be reserved through the parks dept. Also look at Rockledge Ranch here in town, it is next to Garden of the Gods park and has some very pretty grounds. Just a heads up, outdoor weddings in Colorado can be dicey due to weather. My friend's wedding in Fox Run was June 14th and it was cold and windy and I attended a wedding in July in Cheyenne Canyon where it rained and hailed. Best season for an outdoor wedding here in my opinion is fall. September for example has beautiful warm typically calm days. And you would have less people vying for the same locations as you would in June.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:15 AM

794 posts, read 1,491,804 times
There must be dozens of vacation rentals that would accommodate you. Check VRBO.COM - South Central Colorado VRBO® Vacation Rentals - South Central Colorado Lodging . It will cost you a few hundred $$, but you could also make a weekend of it.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:19 AM

98 posts, read 199,853 times
Manitou Springs has a beautiful gazebo that you can rent for a ceremony.

7 Minute Spring | Mineral Springs Foundation, Manitou Springs, Colorado

http://manitoumineralsprings.org/wp-...inute_main.jpg

Rent | City of Manitou Springs

Old 05-07-2014, 08:59 AM

215 posts, read 630,815 times
It's not Colorado Springs, but my sister had here outdoor wedding ceremony at Panorama Point in the Golden Gate Canyon State Park. It was lovely and she brought in rented chairs, she put down a wedding runner, and decorated some with rose petals, tool, etc. She toasted champagne and cake on a picnic table. It was lovely pictures and beautiful weather for her morning September wedding ceremony.

Colorado Parks & Wildlife - Panorama Point Special Event Site

Old 05-07-2014, 09:05 AM

2,395 posts, read 4,160,231 times
How far are you willing to drive? This is our ceremony location for this September in Telluride

Old 05-07-2014, 10:35 AM

924 posts, read 1,030,423 times
There's a great little gazebo with tiered stone steps for seating on El Paso Blvd. in Manitou Springs.
7-minute Springs - I've seen wedding ceremonies held there ... I would imagine you'd just need to contact Manitou Springs town hall to find out how to reserve/rent the space. Memorial Park is right across the street, where you could continue the party.

7 Minute Spring | Mineral Springs Foundation, Manitou Springs, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoorex View Post
My husband and I are planning on renewing our vows next Summer, most likely the last weekend of June or second weekend of July. Considering these are busy times, I wanted to get jump started on my planning.

I am in desperate need of help. I simply can't find a venue that fits our needs. It will be extremely small and intimate, 20 people or less. We only want to do a ceremony, no reception, as we just want to do a family picnic afterwards. Almost every venue I find requires a "wedding package" which includes a reception and it makes it expensive!

If I could find an open field in the middle of nowhere, I would do it there. That would honestly be ideal, but since I'm out of luck on that front, I need recommendations. Small, inexpensive venues.. Parks that are available for wedding that can be decorated.. Something. Every park I look into strictly prohibits decorations, or even chairs. An outdoor, open area venue would be perfect, but at this point I'm starting to become open to anything.

^ that is my dream set up, though I don't really expect to be able to make it happen.

Ideas for me, tips, recommendations?.. Honestly, I don't even know where to start. Our initial marriage was at a courthouse so this is all new. Thanks in advance for ANYTHING you can contribute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or