Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 08:04 PM

24 posts, read 56,465 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be visiting Colorado for a few days starting tomorrow, and it was a last minute trip so we're still trying to figure everything out It will be my wife's first trip to Colorado, and my sixth (although I've mainly stayed in Denver except for one trip to Copper Mountain). We're planning on spending 2 nights in Colorado Springs and 2 nights in Estes Park. We did want to drive out west on 70 from Denver to at least Frisco to see the mountains up there and enjoy the drive, but we don't want to backtrack from Colorado Springs -> Denver -> Frisco -> then back to Boulder -> Estes Park.

Would it be feasible to drive from Colorado Springs to 70 on highways 24 and 9 and then head to Estes Park from 70. Maybe we can grab lunch in Breckenridge or something. My main concern was the drive on 24/9. Being from Dallas, I'm not used to mountain driving and was wondering whether it would be scary at all. I also have some concerns about 70, but I'm thinking that shouldn't be that bad since it's an interstate. Any advice would be appreciated! Maybe it would still be better to take 70 to Frisco and then turn around? Saving the Breckenridge area for another trip is also an option

Would the pike to pike byway from Boulder by a nice alternative to trying to take the scenic 70 route?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 08:19 PM

6,801 posts, read 10,432,510 times
That is a fairly standard "scenic route". As long as the weather is good, mountain driving is usually not much different from driving anywhere else as long as you stay on the major roads - it is not likely to be scary.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:49 PM

8,591 posts, read 14,757,891 times
Unless Breck is an absolute "must" on your list, I'd jog a little further west and take 24 to Twin Lakes, then go a little out of the way on Colorado 82 to the top of Independence Pass before backtracking into Leadville and over Fremont Pass on Colorado 91 to I-70 @ Copper Mountain.

Granted, there's probably too much snow on Indy still to stop at the overlook on the top, but being above treeline in the tundra is awesome.

http://tinyurl.com/mrpfydr

Old 05-24-2014, 10:29 PM

24 posts, read 56,465 times
Thanks for the replies! Can't wait to visit beautiful Colorado!

Old 05-24-2014, 11:57 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,654,314 times
That's a totally feasible route. I used to live in Fairplay at the intersection of Hey 9 & 285. I did that drive on an almost daily basis ( Fairplay to Woodland Park) on & of for years. The only part of the drive between Colorado Springs & Breckenridge that might make you a bit nervous is over Hoosier Pass but it's only a few hairpin turns & nothing to sweat about. Just go the speed limit & you will be fine.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:20 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,532,846 times
It's actually a fairly flat drive from the Springs to Fairplay. Hwy 24 from Florrisant to Hartsel is a long stretch of flat with beautiful mountain views. Hwy 9 to Fairplay is flat, too. Hoosier Pass isn't bad, and at the base, it's flat again into Breck. It's about 2 hours, give or take, from the Springs to Breckenridge. That was our favorite day trip when we lived in Divide. We'd eat lunch in Beckenridge, then head to I-70 and take it into Denver, stay with family for the night, and head home the next day. Enjoy your trip, it's a beautiful drive.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:48 PM

17 posts, read 35,187 times
I've made the COS to Breck drive many times in both the winter (snow) and summer with no problems. Just take it easy if it is wet or icy. Lately, we've been having afternoon thunderstorms and snow in the mountains, so be prepared for changing weather (warm clothes, food, water, etc).

Also, check CDOT's travel website before (or during) your drive for the latest conditions: Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation

Lastly, like the above poster mentioned, I also suggest Independence Pass if you can fit it in your schedule. Beautiful trees and 'above the tree-line' views. Checking the cotrip site, it shows that the road (CO 82) is open for the season in both directions as of May 22.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!
---Mar

Old 05-06-2015, 07:01 PM

12 posts, read 23,506 times
Definitely take the route West of Colorado Springs. There will not be rush hour or crazy backups. Its more scenic and faster than 25 to 70.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs