Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2014, 09:43 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times

Advertisements

At least for an Econ major and Finance and Stats minor. Grant it, I'm only a sophmore/junior, but the vast majority of jobs offered in the Springs are telemarketing, customer service over the phone, or military contracting. Basically, a lot of the jobs boil down to customer relations or engineering things for the DoD. With what I've seen so far, I be best to plan to move after college, to Denver or somewhere else, unless something unique opens up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 06:08 AM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Springs is not the hottest job market for all fields, no. But, the jobs you see advertised in papers, etc., are not all that is out there. You should be pursuing internships in your field now and next summer as well and working with your college advisor to find those job connections.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:52 PM

610 posts, read 698,551 times
actually... IMO... the springs job market definitely sucks BUT... isn't as bad as you think. The military really sucks any and all incentive for low-skill labor jobs to come here... why would people who otherwise would not go to college work for $12 an hour at a warehouse driving a forklift when they could just join one of the many military organizations for better pay, benefits, hours and job opportunities? as much as you hear these politicians (conservatards and liberfools) talk about the military "creating jobs," it really doesn't do anything like that; it's a massive misallocation of resources that the market would have directed elsewhere. so it's shot here. BUT AGAIN! It's not as bad as you think. Here's why:

Because the aforementioned scenario IS the case here, this city is absolutely LITTERED with small businesses. The kinds of businesses where the owner originally couldn't find a job, and so made one himself. these people in turn hire people in similar situations. they also don't usually have the money to advertise on Indeed or any of the other big job boards. BUT, likewise, postings on craigslist get lost in the shuffle because of so many responses. My boss mentioned that his advertisement for a warehouse job scored like 3000 responses or something crazy. This for a company with like 8 employees. SO... my point is... if you just drive around and turn in your resume to random small businesses (literally... jsut walk into a small business that sounds like it might possibly have some kind of position somewhere that fits what you're looking for) you actually might turn up with some luck. that's what I did... and now, I have the best job i've ever had. you just have to dig here. the economy doesn't function in the way it does in most other parts of the country.

just my two cents

Old 05-30-2014, 10:06 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
Way to go leaving IL.

I did that once looking for work, but only found one job with the strategy and it was a real crapper On the upside, while working there I found a better job and came up with the plan for my business that helped me leave that crapper and move to Colorado.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:40 AM

177 posts, read 314,816 times
And remember unless you have a TS Clearance and/or "know someone", you will not get a good job w/ the military.

In the "old days" a company would hire you and wait 6-10 months to get the clearance but those days are looooong gone.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:12 PM

22 posts, read 34,296 times
Kinda depressing? The job market in the Springs outright "sucks." If you want to move here, make sure you have a job before you do.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:46 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Lol, I've been living here for 20 years. I have been in contact with the career officer at UCCS, but again, not much shows up. There is an internship asking/calling seminar attendees if they'd like to become clients for an investment management company that I might get, but again, not exactly a dream job. It's not like there's no jobs that fit my description, because there were a lot more applicable openings for me, but it's too far of a drive. The Springs' economy really is run by the military and services for the military and call centers.

I might try the walk in approach and see how that goes if this current opening falls through.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:00 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
That's kind of the thing with getting a degree - some fields are pretty specific and are likely to require relocation to get employment unless you are already in one of the largest cities or niche markets in the country. Some are very general, not leading to any particular type of employment, which makes the job search more difficult because you have to sometimes prove you're the right fit and are less likely to see postings asking for what you have, because employers don't know they want/need it. Others lead to jobs that exist everywhere - like teaching or nursing. I don't know if they ever were, but colleges today are definitely not factories producing the products businesses/employers are looking for - because people have choice in what they study, and they often do not pick a major to lead to a job guarantee or high probability. That is part of the problem with the college loan debt crisis. I'm not saying people shouldn't study things that don't automatically lead to a job with high probability if they are really interested in and have a passion in something. As for the Springs, jobs related to military (including civilian jobs) are about 1/3 of the jobs, and tourism related jobs are about 1/10, and other fields make up smaller portions. Degrees are just pieces of paper, ultimately. But yeah, some areas are hot, and that is something Springs has never been, probably never will be, and maybe not everyone would want it to be. I know someone who tried for months get a job in Albuquerque and couldn't find one, and went to Seattle and had two within a week. With your fields of study, have you considered being an entrepreneur and making your own business? How tied are you to one place?

Old 06-09-2014, 08:36 PM

75 posts, read 104,363 times
Default Go West Young Man!

Denver would be a great place to start looking for a career in your field. Most young graduates have to move to a large city to get started in their first professional job. If you want to move, Seattle has tons of internet companies that are hiring right now. Read this article for more details. Seattle Magazine | Arts & Culture | How to Find a Job in Seattle: 26 Companies that Want to Hire You Forbes also listed companies that are hiring right now. Go to each companies website and look under their employment/jobs link. You might just hit on your perfect job! The 25 Tech Companies Hiring The Most Right Now - Forbes Good luck in your job hunt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs