U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 08:57 AM

25 posts, read 74,009 times

Advertisements

Move to Colorado Springs I think you will like it here, I have been all over the country and this is my choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,976 times
Thumbs up Colorado Springs sort of sucks

Well, take it from someone who has just moved from Denver, CO to Charlotte. If you have ever been to Colorado and like it, go for it but be weary of Colorado Springs. It is NOT a great place to live, or even visit. Once you do the tourist thing there with Pikes Peak, there is absolutley nothing to do there. The market in CO is very bad right now also (one reason why we left) and jobs are scarce and you would be looking at around the same price for an ok house in an ok area. We like it here in Charlotte, jobs are available, house prices are great, location is great, and people are great. I would say Denver would be the fun choice while Charlotte, although fun aswell, would be a much wiser choice.

Good Luck!

Old 11-05-2007, 07:19 AM

137 posts, read 382,766 times
Colorado Springs is a fantastic city and the easy choice between the two IMO. Not sure how anyone can honestly say it sucks This is both a great place to visit and live. Pick Co Springs for sure. Great city.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:10 AM

20,307 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmuta View Post
Colorado Springs is a fantastic city and the easy choice between the two IMO. Not sure how anyone can honestly say it sucks This is both a great place to visit and live. Pick Co Springs for sure. Great city.
TRUE! In fact, neither city sucks, both are fine places to live. Just depends on what you want. We wanted low humidity and many other things, all of which we found here.

s/Mike

Old 11-26-2007, 11:44 PM

17 posts, read 54,278 times
Default Charlotte or Colorado Springs

I would definitely pick Colorado Springs!!! I have lived here for 23 years, and although I have never lived in Charlotte, I was there for some training several years ago and hated it! I think it is more progressive here. I think there is a big plus in buying real estate here; like a lot of big towns or popular towns accross the country, our real estate prices were never over inflated, so I believe we are enjoying a more stable economy than the rest of the nation. Also, the fact that there are several military bases here, not to mention Homeland Security also contributes to the stable economy. Colorado Springs is slotted to get several thousand more troops to phase in over the next couple of years due to other base closures.

As far as the weather here, it depends on what part of town you live in! The further south, the warmer, the further north, the colder.

Catherine
[ moderator removed email to prevent spam ]

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-27-2007 at 08:43 AM..

Old 12-13-2007, 11:40 AM

7 posts, read 25,955 times
Question COL SPGS vs Charlotte

Judging from the posts, it's probably safe to say Colorado Springs pops into everyone's head! It's nice to see so many people who love their city and want to share info. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these 2 cities and can offer up some comparisons.

My husband and I live in San Diego. We have a 7yr old, 4 yr old, and 7 mo old. I've lived in San Diego nearly all my life and my husband is from the North Carolina coast. We are ready for CHANGE. The rat race is taking its toll on the quality of our life. We are in search of a place that feels city close and country quiet. We're down to earth people that want to raise our kids with good values and have time to enjoy life. Tired of being surrounded by such materialism and being robbed of quality time with long commutes.

High on our priority list is a job (my husband is an avionics technician), schools, and affordable housing with a yard larger than a postage stamp.
My son is currently in a German language immersion IB school and we'd like to continue a similar education. Anything to say about Academy International in the north part of town?

I guess if we could get jobs, the right school, and the right house in either, what gives one city an advantage over the other? Curious about ethnic diversity and overall attitudes of the residents.

Thanks!

Old 12-13-2007, 06:35 PM

45 posts, read 252,793 times
Sorry I've never been to Charlotte so I can't provide any comparison. But I did remember reading recently about an airline maintenance hangar that will be built here for Frontier. Hopefully this is helpful for you.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/avia...re_hangar.html

Kelly

Old 12-16-2007, 01:15 PM

4 posts, read 26,946 times
Default Charlotte vs. COS

We are from the Bay Area and moved near Charlotte a year ago. We contemplated Charlotte vs. Colorado Springs as well and picked here first. I do like it (we live in Tega Cay, SC) It is about 12 miles South from Charlotte, our schools are #1 in the state and much better than the Charlotte school system. We also have tons of activities for kids, a golf course, a lake (Lake Wylie) and tons more to do like trails and such.
Prices went up here 15% last year, there was an article about it in the NY times. Here's a link to where we are: http://www.lakeshoreonlakewylie.com/
The downsides I don't like about here is that it is kinda like a small town (although it is growing more every day).
Most of our familiy is in COS and we are contemplating moving there next year.
I also do not like the hot summers here, they are hell!
I feel like that the summer is the time that counts b/c the kids are out of school and want to be outside all day, kinda impossible here!
I also miss the west and seeing things that are familiar, like Western sports teams fans! haha
Good luck!

Old 12-16-2007, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,958 times
Colorado Springs, though scenically beautiful is a very dull place to live in. The good restaurants usually close by 9.30 or 10.00 and the streets are deserted almost after the rush hour is over.
Politically, the Springs has a national reputation for being one of the most right wing, ultra conservative places in the 50 states. The group "Focus on the Family", with its preaching of many non Christian hate ideas is based here.
Yes, I am from New York City and used to the total cosmopolitan atmosphere of Manhattan, etc. Therefore, COS, came as a huge shock to my entire being.
But, as I said, the city of Colorado Springs is beautiful with 14,100 ft. Pike Peak at the western edge of the city and the cost of living is certainly lower than NYC.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:11 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,741,121 times
NYCJoey: FWIW, Colorado Springs IS conservative but that's not just because of FotF, it's also because of the high amount of military here which is more likely than not to be conservative in voting.

As for voters as of March 06 (according to the Libertarian Party affiliate for El Paso County) the political break down is as such:

Republicans: 46.4% (not surprising)
Democrats: 21.0%
Unaffiliated: 32.3%
The rest are Libertarians and "other".

Now with a high amount of those that don't identify with a particular party, that gives either party an ability to change that. Also, as having lived here all my life, I see that politics are slowly but surely going back towards the center as new people come here. The same has been true for other places around the state.

I admit, we aren't a 24/7 city. We have the usual suspects - Denny's, Village Inn, Perkins and of course (haha) Wal*Mart. But in all fairness this is a pretty family friendly city and we don't cater to international commerce like Chicago, NYC, San Fran, etc...If the demand was there for restaurants to serve till midnight or later and they could make good money, you bet your bippy that local restaurateurs would keep their doors open much later. But I don't think that that will apply to shaffergray seeing as they have three children and one that is not even a year old yet.

To the OP...as for ethnic diversity, it is mostly caucasion here.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Colora...-Colorado.html

Races in Colorado Springs:

White Non-Hispanic (75.3%)
Hispanic (12.0%)
Black (6.6%)
Other race (5.0%)
Two or more races (3.9%)
American Indian (1.9%)
Korean (0.8%)

Not sure about Academy International but District 20 has great schools all around.

I am not familiar with jobs in aviation but I think it was mentioned that Frontier announced it will be opening a maintanence facility here.

I can't say anything about Charlotte as I have never lived there. I had a friend that lived in the area and she wasn't thrilled and their short stint (about a year and a half) from New York state to NC wasn't a real positive one. They now reside in the Keys - aside from potential for hurricanes, what a great place to move to!

CS is very family friendly. Getting homes that aren't on postage stamp sized property will depend upon your financial resources and the area you choose to live in.

Since CS has a pretty transient population (not homeless but DOD and their contractors) it's kind of mixed as to what the attitudes are. Most long term CS residents are pretty friendly but take a while to warm up to. It's hard to have great friends only for them to leave in 2-5 years.

Anyhow, that's my take. Hope that helps.

Last edited by COflower; 12-17-2007 at 02:13 AM.. Reason: ACK, horrible typo! (blush)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs