Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 01:08 AM

45 posts, read 100,348 times

Advertisements

I keep reading that Colorado Springs is a very safe city with low crime rates. But what are the actual crime rates? And in what sectors of the city are the crimes concentrated?

How do the rates in Colorado Springs stack up against other cities in CO (Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, etc.) and to the national average?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 10:18 AM

409 posts, read 700,829 times
I think for averages, you're going to do best by looking at the stats on city data pages.

Generally speaking, most people consider the areas to the South East to be the worst for crime, though coming from the east coast, I don't feel scared or weirded out in that area. I don't think I'd want to live down there, but mostly because it feels run down and not as nice as the rest of town.

Also generally speaking, crime rates spike in areas with commercial development. This doesn't necessarily mean that the areas are more dangerous, just that more crimes tend to occur with commercial property - theft, etc. So if you're looking at an area where you can walk to shops and restaurants, the *rate* will probably be higher, although you'll probably be just as safe walking around, and in your house in general.

Crime rates and how safe you are and feel are going to largely depend on your neighborhood, and the average home price. What are you looking to spend? Do you have kids? Do school districts matter? I know you want walkable, do you want traditional, old house walkable, or are you satisfied with newer, suburbia walkable? Or even future development? Our neighborhood (Greyhawk in Northgate) is safe, "future walkable", great schools, and has plenty of homes for sale in the $300-400k range (maybe even a few lower). But there are plenty of others that are similar.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:32 AM

http://www.city-data.com/city/Colora...-Colorado.html

Crime rates are listed here. This compares against every podunk small town in America, so I'd look up another city that you're used to, and go from there. There are other crime maps you can probably google.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:52 PM

50 posts, read 75,754 times
Google yourself a zip code map, then use this website to check out the zip code and compare. I linked you to 80903 which is downtown Colorado Springs, but you can compare a particular zip code to another zip code, the state overall, or the US overall. As a realtor, the website gives a lot of reliable statistical data from the census that I find my clients enjoy.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 06-05-2014 at 07:21 AM..

Old 06-03-2014, 02:07 PM

6,800 posts, read 10,427,540 times
Wow, compare that to 80911 (Security-Widefield) - the crime numbers are single digits and teens....

Old 06-03-2014, 03:53 PM

26,115 posts, read 48,712,075 times
Neat link, it lets you compare two towns or zip codes.

Look at 80908 (Black Forest) or 80920 (Briargate).
Just for fun, put in Albuquerque, NM or Pueblo, CO.

Colorado Springs crime map is here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:33 PM

45 posts, read 100,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteRJ View Post
http://www.city-data.com/city/Colora...-Colorado.html

Crime rates are listed here. This compares against every podunk small town in America...
"Podunk small town"? Just because Colorado Springs has higher than average crime rates doesn't mean you have to knock small towns! As someone who grew up in NYC, I find someone in COS calling small towns in America "Podunk," a bit, well, amusing (for the record I also lived in a very small town in the Midwest).

In any case, the City-Data numbers were the first I looked at and was wondering if there were other sets of data for "sanity check" as they seemed quite high for a relatively small city with mostly white demographics.

My current zip code, by the way, is hardly "Podunk" (in fact, is highly urbanized/suburbanized Northern Virginia) but has a fraction of the crime rates of the national average. Although small towns generally have lower crime rates, I think demographic factors of race, educational level, income, etc. have high bearing on crime rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizlykdm View Post

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Very useful! Exactly what I was seeking. Thank you!

By the way, what gives about the high rape rates in COS? Even in lower crime areas (say zip code 80920) where all other crime rates are lower than the national average, rape was twice the national rate. Who's out there committing all these rapes?

Last edited by Yac; 06-05-2014 at 07:20 AM..

Old 06-03-2014, 09:08 PM

6,800 posts, read 10,427,540 times
Well I don't know about what's going on specifically, but I have *heard* that we have a way better reporting system for rape than most other places, which makes our rates look higher but in a way is a good thing..... I don't know if that is true or not, but I've heard it many times.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:20 PM

For the record, I grew up in small towns and love them, and revel in their podunk-ness. If you think that COS is small, you ain't from a podunk small town.

We just moved here a year ago. I've lived in La Plata, MD for the last 8 years. Where do you live in NoVA?

Old 06-03-2014, 10:23 PM

Wait a minute - you're not that guy who got all twitchy when we couldn't help you *exactly* compare what your precise suburb was like to what the entirety of COS is like, are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs