Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 01:06 PM

34 posts, read 56,812 times

Advertisements

We're pretty new to the area, and it seems now that we're here, we have a lot of visitors wanting to stop by! That's great, but we're only familiar with the big touristy areas (Pikes Peak, Manitou Springs, Garden of the Gods, Old Colorado City, etc).

Where do you take people that's a little bit off the beaten path, and distinctively Colorado? Like myself, most visitors aren't super outdoorsy. Light hiking is ok, but not much into rafting, rock climbing, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 01:16 PM

6,813 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Pikes Peak is a good one, as is Garden of the Gods, and Manitou/OCC. Even though they're the big tourist things, there is a reason they are, and if someone is coming from out of town those are often the things they will want to see.

The Paint Mines out in Calhan is pretty interesting and involves a short walk (a few miles) but should be avoided when it is hot out. It also involves a bit of a drive, so it depends on interest and time - but if it is concurrent in timing with the County Fair doing both can be a good idea.

We usually take them to dinner at Carlos Miguel's by the Cheyenne Mountain Conference Resort if they like Mexican - it is our favorite and our out of town guests are always impressed by its service and food without huge expense.

Often guests like to see the Broadmoor and go to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, maybe see the Will Roger's Shrine over there as well.

If they have particular interests, checking out some of the museums can be good, or if they're into architecture, there are driving/walking tours of historic buildings available at springsgov. Sometimes they like the Western thing so Rock Ledge Ranch or if it were still open or reopens sometime, the Flying W Ranch.

A drive up to Cripple Creek or Victor and back down the Shelf Road or Phantom Canyon can be a good day trip for out of towners, or into Fairplay with the museum there, or the mining museum in Leadville, or the ghost town of St. Elmo.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:01 AM

598 posts, read 1,546,287 times
We usually take friends and family to the Air Force Academy, Olympic Training Center, Pikes Peak, GoG, Cripple Creek and a Sky Sox game.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:06 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
After about 3 days I take them to the airport....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:33 PM

753 posts, read 1,103,991 times
Like I posted in another thread recently, my friends (who had already visited the obvious tourist spots on previous visits) really enjoyed Helen Hunt falls and exploring on Gold Camp road just up the canyon. The old railroad grade is easy walking for "flatlanders" and the old tunnels are fun. I was going to send them to Cripple Creek on the back roads after that but they didn't have time. That's more of a full-day trip if you want to get out and explore along the way, get something to eat, etc. I also took them to Red Rock Canyon. My friends had their dog with them so we were looking for activities that the dog would enjoy, too.

St. Elmo and Leadville are a bit far for a day trip, especially if you want to get out and explore and not just drive. When I've been out there to hike, I stayed in a nice motel in Buena Vista.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:47 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
If you have time, Breckenridge is fun and the drive over Wilkerson Pass is beautiful. But locally, Garden of the Gods, the Olympic Training Center, The Air Force Academy, Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, Will Rogers Shrine of the Sun, Memorial Park, Woodland Park, Cripple Creek, Mueller State Park, Cog Railway up Pike's Peak, or if you're willing, drive up there. Also, Eleven Mile or Tarryall, The Craggs, Deckers and Palmer Park.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:43 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
I take them hiking near my home in Monument. I take them for ice cream. If they ask, I take them rafting in the high country or to one of the tourist attractions, but otherwise I don't because tourist stuff is never really all that fun compared to just local spots, IMO.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:24 PM

6,813 posts, read 10,510,104 times
I recommend Josh and John's ice cream down town when it comes to ice cream.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:11 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,844,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
After about 3 days I take them to the airport....
3 days is about It. Like when you go to Vegas fun at first; then let me outa there!

Just wears me out to host family and friends, before they get here, it's clean, clean and mow, trim, trim and all that jazz. Then they leave and it's clean. clean, mow...........etc. ahh nuts! When I win the lotto I shall have a maid/butler/cook and gardener. Dream on.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:32 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
3 days is about It. Like when you go to Vegas fun at first; then let me outa there!
I may be an oddball, but when I invite people to come stay with me in my home, I try to make them feel welcome and not imply time limits or that I'd like to get away from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs