U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 04:01 PM

6 posts, read 15,669 times

Advertisements

Still doing lots of research into COS and have left messages with district offices. I have heard that Stapleton in Denver is the newest "fad" area where young families are moving - lots of preschool age kids on every street, parks and playgrounds everywhere, neighborhood pool, bike paths etc, etc...
Does COS have a similar area that attracts families with younger kids? I grew up in a neighborhood with no other kids and really want to move somewhere my kids can go outside and play with their neighborhood friends. Also, any preschool suggestions out there? My youngest is only 2 but I've heard there are long waitlists for good preschools?
Thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 10:02 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,759,118 times
Haha, all of Colorado Springs is a family friendly city. Most any neighborhood (except for places like Kissing Camels and the such) are very family friendly.

Heck in my 'hood there are tons of kids in the immediate area. Most every place I have lived in CS has kids up the wazoo.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:30 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,996,080 times
Like mentioned above there are plenty of school age kids' neighborhoods. What about other things? Do you have a job? Where? Are you going to buy a home? Rent? Price range?

Old 12-21-2007, 12:33 AM

Glad to hear there are lots of kids and it's such a kid friendly city!

Right now I'm at home with my kids but used to work as a volunteer manager at a humane society and would love to eventually get back into that line of work. I know you have a great HS, so I'm looking forward to visiting it!

My husband works for a general contractor and is being transferred to work at Ft. Carson. He doesn't want to live further North than Briargate, other than that we're planning to buy a house btwn $250 - $300.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:00 AM

20,372 posts, read 37,921,184 times
Just heard the other day that the Army is going to base one of the 'new' combat brigades here, adding another 5,000 troops to the ones here and the other ones coming here as a part of base re-alignment and closure (BRAC). The TV news said this may generate yet another half billion in construction at Carson. By 2013 the plan is to have 30,000 active soldiers at Fort Carson, and the average is two family members per each soldier, making 90,000 inhabitants in the area, making Carson the 13th largest city and largest employer in the state.

Sounds like you are coming at a good time, construction at Fort Carson is strong, home prices have softened a bit and tons of nice houses are on the market. In dinner conversation with friends last week, we heard that the only part of the housing market that has any life right now is in the $200k-$300k segment, of which there is a lot around, to include Briargate (zip 80920 for searching on realtor.com). Most neighborhoods on the north side are full of kids.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:29 AM

If your husband is going to be working at Ft. Carson, I would suggest most any area west of Academy Blvd. and north of about Constitution. Seriously. I hate being a bonehead when it comes to nice areas of town but the southeast is not where I would want to raise a family if I were to have kids.

Briargate is awesome but the drive to Ft. Carson isn't the best in the world. I've had many friends in my 'hood who were in the Army or were contractors at Ft. Carson up here so it's not out of the realm, but the drive can be a real drag even though they just opened up I-25 with improvements.

However, with that said, unless you can afford a home near the base (in Broadmoor Bluffs - that's where I spent my teen years - do not find a home on the other side of 115) Briargate has excellent schools. District 12 is the best in the city but living there can be a bit expensive but if you can and don't mind it, they have some reasonable townhomes and condos in the area.

But yeah, C Springs is kid central. If I were to have kids, I would totally stay in C springs because of the opportunities that kids have here over other areas in the state. My neices and nephews are thriving here.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:13 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,996,080 times
Not sure if this matters but...

"Cheyenne Mountain School District does not provide bus service."

from

http://schools.cmsd12.org/skyway_elem/about

Old 12-23-2007, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Not sure if this matters but...

"Cheyenne Mountain School District does not provide bus service."

from

http://schools.cmsd12.org/skyway_elem/about

I recall they didn't have bus service when I was in school there, I am surprised with the growth of the area they still don't have it.

It was never a problem for us though. Before my brother and I had cars we would get a ride from one of the other kids in our school. Once we had cars (both of us) would drive to school. Thankfully my brother was smart not to get a ride from me as I was late, every, single, day. Hehe, yep, every day. I had typing class as my first class in my senior year and they tried to lock me out (locking the front door to the classroom) but I was friendly with the secretary and she'd let me go in through the back door of the classroom which happened to be a door to her office.

Oh the shinanigans (sp) of me in high school. :-) I have so much more that would make for some good posts but I will save them as time and post them as it comes up.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:18 PM

Great suggestions. I was surprised to hear D12 doesn't have bus service. It wouldn't be too bad while I'm at home still with the kids but I could see that being tough when I get back to work. That area might be a bit too expensive for us anyway, although I haven't looked into condo/townhomes yet. Is it about 30 min from around Briargate down to Ft. Carson? My husband thought that would be an okay commute.

I'm very excited about the Fort Carson construction boom news! I didn't want to move only to be transferred again once the project was finished. Let's hope that plan doesn't change after November! I'd like to stick around for awhile!

Old 12-29-2007, 12:41 AM

649 posts, read 2,654,301 times
[quote=jonerin;2323287] Is it about 30 min from around Briargate down to Ft. Carson? My husband thought that would be an okay commute.

I think the commute will be fine. I have friends in the Army that live in Briargate and they don't mind the commute at all.

However, our Humane Society is southwest, so if you decide to pursue a job/volunteering there, you may want ot keep that in mind. It would probably be a 20 minute commute from Briargate.

My son is at a great pre-school in Briargate. He goes 2 days a week from 9-1pm and it is around $130 a month. I know they have openings there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs