U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2007, 10:56 AM

24 posts, read 83,126 times

Advertisements

I used to live in virginia beach. We had military jets flying over all the time. What areas in colorado springs have the most jet noise?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 11:31 AM

1,207 posts, read 4,137,134 times
There might be some jet noise on the south or north ends of the airport, but mostly from commercial aircraft. And that's isn't bad as the majority of airliners are regional jets. Someone living in the airport area will have a better idea. As far as military stuff, it's virtually non existant. There are no fighter squadrons based here. The Academy uses little trainers that are so quiet that you'll have to be looking to notice 'em. There are several occasions where the Air Force will fly aircraft over the football stadium, like graduation and first home game, but these are over the Academy and don't really affect the rest of town, except when folks stop along I25 to watch.
Traffic noise along I25 should be a bigger concern for living locations.
Paul

Old 04-19-2007, 11:39 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
Train noise (whistles) may bug people close to tracks.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:39 AM

2 posts, read 5,374 times
Default jet noise in colorado

i challenge anyone to suggest a place to live in colorado with zero jet noise! a jet at 35000 ft cannot be heard IF YOU ARE AT SEA LEVEL!! i recently visited crestone colorado, a town full of meditation centers, very quiet due to conscious efforts of residents. BUT: its at 9000ft! cruising jets can be heard. takeoffs&landings at colorado springs&pueblo are not the problem.

so all of mountain colorado is jet polluted! just about every place is under some FAA route to somewhere.

anybody ever hear of roxborough state park? south west of denver, 45 minutes from downtown, behind a ridge which isolates it from all ground based noise. but an approach to DIA passes over. every 5 or so minutes a jet overflies at 5-7000 feet (above terrain) and spoils the wilderness effect.

even rocky mtn natl park is ruined. evidently, the FAA has more clout than the park service. the recent wilderness designation said nothing about commercial jet noise.

so, forum neighbors, where can i find quiet in colorado?

Old 04-24-2009, 09:17 AM

3,334 posts, read 5,115,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prock View Post
I used to live in virginia beach. We had military jets flying over all the time. What areas in colorado springs have the most jet noise?
vfrpilot said everything you need to know. The military jet traffic here is minimal. The Air Force bases here are Space Command with no active jets stationed at them. The only permanent aircraft unit here is an AF Reserve unit with C-130 prop jobs. Every now and the you'll get some transient fighters or cargo jets coming in, but it is rare. I just added my post to lessen the effect of the earlier rant. It really isn't bad at all. The further from the airport you are, you won't even notice them.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:53 AM

553 posts, read 1,414,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edspargo View Post
so, forum neighbors, where can i find quiet in colorado?
If you're offended by the noise made by a relatively quiet airliner several thousand feet overhed, I'm not sure there's anywhere in the country that will satisfy you. An airliner maneuvering for approach at DIA makes an insignificant amount of noise compared to a fighter doing pattern work. Perhaps some heavy duty earphones?

As stated by vfrpilot and Fullback, Peterson doesn't have any resident fighter traffic. What airport noise you get isn't oppressive, and will be concentrated immediately North or South of the airport. Draw a line from the airport to Sky Sox Stadium. If you want to avoid airplane noise, avoid getting a house within a half mile of this line.

Some folks up in the Briargate area complain about trainer traffic form the Academy. It's not real loud, but there's a lot of air traffic there.

But, in general, if you want peace and quiet, you'd be better served by distancing yourself from the railroad and Interstate than by worrying about airplane noise.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:00 AM

641 posts, read 1,954,356 times
My house is along Powers Blvd near Barnes; along Sky Sox Stadium as Maynerd mentioned above.....the flight path of many jets heading to the airport for landing. I dig it. I like looking up and seeing them fly over....of course I'm an AF retiree!!

A squadron of F-111's or B-1's taking off....now that's loud!!!

Mostly C-130's and C-21's out of Peterson, and commercial planes........no big deal at all.

I remember living in DC after 9-11 when all the flights were cancelled...the skies were so quiet...eerily quiet.....and they were pretty quiet for a while afterward as people were not traveling very much........not a good thing at all.

So I like the jet noise. It's the sound of freedom!!! (corny!)

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-24-2009 at 10:45 AM..

Old 04-24-2009, 03:28 PM

121 posts, read 391,069 times
The rant about jet noise from 35,000 feet in the sky is hilarious. It's a tough life out there.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:43 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,190,952 times
I live in Fountain and jet noise isn't a problem.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:45 PM

3,334 posts, read 5,115,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terytee View Post
My house is along Powers Blvd near Barnes; along Sky Sox Stadium as Maynerd mentioned above.....the flight path of many jets heading to the airport for landing. I dig it. I like looking up and seeing them fly over....of course I'm an AF retiree!!

A squadron of F-111's or B-1's taking off....now that's loud!!!

Mostly C-130's and C-21's out of Peterson, and commercial planes........no big deal at all.

I remember living in DC after 9-11 when all the flights were cancelled...the skies were so quiet...eerily quiet.....and they were pretty quiet for a while afterward as people were not traveling very much........not a good thing at all.

So I like the jet noise. It's the sound of freedom!!! (corny!)

I live in the same area (Powers and Dublin). It is the flight path to the airport; don't even notice them. I'm an USAF retiree too (1984 -2004).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs