Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 03:27 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,860,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Why, when people disagree with someone who boosts a town, it's 'sand in your shorts' but when they disagree with someone who disparages a town, that's heroic? Mike is sort of a booster, he admits it, and there's nothing wrong with that. But there's also nothing wrong with saying 'someplace sucks' as long as you do it in a decent way for some actual reasons.

I personally love CO as a whole. I'm less fond of COS than I am of Denver and most of the high country and western slope blows either city away, IMO, but I can see why people love it there. I also chose the greater area (between springs and denver) to live and I love it here. But I understand why some don't like it here at all and that doesn't offend me. If I went into the NoVa or LA forums and starting saying how I felt I'd be virtually lynched. I don't really do that, but if I did it wouldn't necessarily be trolling, hating, etc. it would just be me vs the majority.

My original advice to the OP from FA stands.
I think it may have been the condescending tone - to me it didn't come off "in a decent way".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 09:33 PM

665 posts, read 1,295,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Why, when people disagree with someone who boosts a town, it's 'sand in your shorts' but when they disagree with someone who disparages a town, that's heroic? Mike is sort of a booster, he admits it, and there's nothing wrong with that. But there's also nothing wrong with saying 'someplace sucks' as long as you do it in a decent way for some actual reasons.
I said it because it was a baseless claim, imo. Saying Mike is pro Colorado Springs is one thing. Saying he's being told what to say by the city, a statement that didn't seem to be made in jest, is just plain silly and shows you don't know Mike that well at all. Everyone knows this city leans right. And I don't want to put a label on Mike, but it's certainly not in line with our elected officials.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:02 AM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmcrae1 View Post
Hi,
I also currently live in Florida and was just offered a promotion in the COS/Denver area. I have never been to Colorado. I concerned about he extremely cold weather, at the same time looking forward to the cool summers. I am intrigued by the opportunity, however I want to ensure that I make the right decision on where to live. I need to select an area that have a diverse high school. I have a son who will be entering high school. I will be working on Schriever AFB and see myself being there for at least 4 years. I would like easy access to grocery store, etc. however do not want to live in an congested area. I currently commute 35-40 mins to work. The commute is mostly rural area, no traffic at all. I don't mind paying more for rent to acquire the more desirable area. I've noticed that the area seems a bit more expense than where I currently live. Rent here is about $1200.00 a month and that is a condo, gated community with access to coffee shops, A+ school zone, houses in the $400K+ range. I've not seen anything in that range so far that looks comparable to my current condo. I am currently doing research online however it is a bit challenging to do without actually having access to the area. I am planning a visit in March 2015. Can't wait...
The summers aren't that cool, they just utterly lack humidity. Still can get quite hot. It's a high plains desert actually, not up "in the mountains" even though we are at a high elevation. Of course not as hot as FL. Just not cool.

- Diversity in the schools
- Near-ish to Schriever
- Easy access to retail but not in a congested area
- Rent about $1200

All of those things you mention have me wanting to suggest the newer parts of Security-Widefield or Fountain to you. You should be able to get a single family house to rent for that, though you will also have to pay for utilities (don't know if you do now) but bear in mind that city-wide, rent has gone up disproportionately with the actual price of properties. It's a good time to be a landlord. I think rents went up significantly after the fires we had, with so many displaced while they rebuilt, and they just never went back down.

My teenage sons go to Widefield District 3 schools, and they are diverse in a good way as far as I can tell. Mixed kinds of races and cultures and people but they mix well and I don't see much tension. I know that in many parts of the nation, people of different races still self-segregate...if you are looking for a big population that is almost completely one race (say, black, or hispanic, etc) and has a strong identity...that doesn't seem to be how it is in CoS. (We do have a lot of white people but it's lot like there is any cohesive cultural identity to go with that.) People just seem to mix right in and get along from what I see. Frankly I like that. My white son has had a black girlfriend since 7th grade and nobody bats an eye because it doesn't matter. To me...that's diversity. What you're looking for may or may not be like this. I also think that the military drives a lot of our diversity as it shapes much of our economy and demographics overall.

Anyhow... I would honestly suggest, with your need to work at Schriever, that you look either up the Powers corridor, or in Security-Widefield, or Fountain. I advise you to avoid school district 2 (Harrison.) They don't have a very good reputation. Fountain (D8) is considered quite good, and Widefield (D3) has been good for us and has fantastic music programs. In Widefield, my boys also really enjoy our community center with the swimming pools, and the library.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:40 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
I think Sonic has given the same advice I would give in this situation. It is also a tiny bit warmer in Widefield/Fountain than in Colorado Springs proper, generally speaking - a tiny difference you might nevertheless appreciate since you are concerned about temperature.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:06 AM

74 posts, read 98,796 times
I live here in Colorado Springs and am one of those that don't particularly care for it. There are good things and bad things no matter where you go, I guess. The best part to me is no bugs, the cost of living is not bad, there is a decent music scene, and the mountains look amazing. The bad things are not a whole lot to do here (you can drive to Denver but not something you want to do all the time), in the summer, it does get hot yet a majority of the homes don't have a/c. I guess I am just used to that from ALWAYS having it until I moved here, I'm not a big winter activity person and I dislike snow.

I will actually be moving to the Tampa area in June. Yes, it is hot and humid but I'll be in my air conditioned home, Ill be going to the beach, concerts in the park, festivals, etc. You can have my mountain view. I'll be sitting in an outdoor restaurant, eating some good seafood, sipping a margarita, and listening to the sound of the ocean!

Old 02-25-2015, 09:09 AM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I think the person I responded to deleted their post...huh...whatever.

Yeah, I miss the sound of the ocean. But I think that the occasional visit is enough, I like that it's a "special" thing and would not want to ever take it for granted.

And I think A/C is a must here. I wouldn't want to be without it. Dry heat is still heat. I do go a little batty when I have A/C running one day and heat the next, though! It's happened!

I lived in a "concerts and festivals all the time" kind of place before here, and I spent a lot of money doing those things. Now I have weekly pool league and weekly "game night" where about 20 of us get together and play Cards Against Humanity or Munchkin or D&D or whatever...still spend money on pool and on feeding my guests sometimes, but ya know I think I'm getting more fun for my buck. The people here are fantastic. "Things to do" are what you make 'em, I figure.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:56 AM

162 posts, read 543,607 times
I used to live in Orlando back in the 80's. I lived in the Sand Lake Hills/Dr. Phillips area. In comparing the two, here is what I offer:

1. Four seasons. Florida is nice in the winter but unbearably hot and humid in the summer. Colorado can get hot but it is a dry heat. The radiant energy from the sun can make a 20 degree swing. If it's 80 in the sun, it could feel like 60 in the shade. The weather is very unpredictable here. I've seen highs of 70 in January and 60 in July. I've seen 60 at lunch time and 3 inches of snow in the late afternoon. Crazy? Yes, but I love it. It's never stagnant.

2. No bugs is a big deal for me. I love to hike and camp. If you go into a wooded area in Florida, you hear bugs everywhere. Go into the forest here and you hear silence. Love that too.

3. Cost of living? Probably cheaper than Florida but it's been awhile for me down there. $1,200 will get you anything a single person could ever want/need.

4. Nightlife? I hear Tejon has some good parties but I have never been the clubbing type. I'd rather be in the mountains, away from all the noise, and enjoy a good campfire and a beer.

5. Car? If you really like it, keep it. But I'd recommend another vehicle for bad winter driving or getting you to and from the ski resorts. I've had a Camaro SS here before and it was a handful and I grew up driving in snow with a RWD car. For a self proclaimed snow driving novice? You don't want a rear wheel drive car here in the winter. Nothing beats having the flexibility to go where you want when you want without being limited.

6. COS or DEN? Both would be fine. Both have good and bad qualities. I agree that if you can check it out first, do that. In the absence of that, I'd choose COS because it's less people which equals less traffic. Having lived in NoVa, I'm done with traffic.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:02 PM

74 posts, read 98,796 times
Yes, I think everyone is different in what attributes make up their "best" place to live. You just have to come experience it for yourself.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:56 PM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
A few days of sub-zero weather clears out the bugs. Love Colorado!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs