Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 01:19 PM

727 posts, read 1,359,195 times

Advertisements

Sonic - We're in agreement. I only suggested I-5 if time was of the essence. Agree that 101 is more scenic and has more of a "road trip" vibe to it. If you really want a spectacular road (assuming it's open and not closed for land slides), get off 101 and take 1 down from Monterey, thru Big Sur to Morro Bay (like in the old Beach Boys song). Astounding scenery, but can be agonizingly slow (2-lane road, few passing areas, and loads of RVs who won't use the turnouts to let the traffic behind them pass). But, if you're not in a hurry, the slow traffic can actually force you to appreciate the scenery even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 03:11 PM

20,201 posts, read 14,425,887 times
*nods* Carrera32, someone told me it was really beautiful down there. But I think by that point we had spent enough time during stops further north that we felt an urge to make time and avoid further delays.

One thing I also remember, somewhere past Bakersfield along the route I described (can't remember exactly where) there were these humongous perfectly round hills that were golden with the dry grass, and they were SO PRETTY. I wish someone more familiar with CA would tell me exactly where that was...I tried with Google maps to find it another time and failed to figure out where it was. Also the drive through the desert was pretty, temps in the 70's, and ya know...it's a lot less of a big deal to drive through there in modern cars that go really fast with a cell phone, which for some reason has FANTASTIC reception out in the desert. My Grandma told me stories about how in her youth, driving through the desert was a real adventure with far more peril. Not nowadays...

Old 12-30-2014, 10:57 PM

573 posts, read 1,445,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terytee View Post
Wow! I've only been through Seattle a few times, and I always thought it was beautiful. I think coming from Seattle, you'd have to make some big adjustments to life out here.

Number one being the food! I can't imagine being able to come across the same level of seafood anywhere in CO!

I know there are far more factors to moving from one place to another; jobs, cost of living, culture, etc., but Seattle to CO Springs would be a huge change.
Very different cities in almost every respect.
I grew up in North Dakota and yes Seattle can be beautiful and the food is awesome but that is about it. It is a fabulous place to visit but I really do not like it here for several reasons. One of the biggest is weather and another is traffic, not to mention the cost of living and taxes.I lived many years in Oregon on the coast and Oregon is far superior as far as sea food goes. I also have spent sometime in Colorado and loved it. Their are good and bad things where ever you live and I think it mostly depends on where you are in life and what you are most comfortable with.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:10 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. It is truly helpful and I so appreciate it.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:43 AM

20,201 posts, read 14,425,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnodak View Post
I grew up in North Dakota and yes Seattle can be beautiful and the food is awesome but that is about it. It is a fabulous place to visit but I really do not like it here for several reasons. One of the biggest is weather and another is traffic, not to mention the cost of living and taxes.I lived many years in Oregon on the coast and Oregon is far superior as far as sea food goes. I also have spent sometime in Colorado and loved it. Their are good and bad things where ever you live and I think it mostly depends on where you are in life and what you are most comfortable with.
It was my understanding that the seafood in that region actually comes from Alaska for the most part. Nearby waters might be too polluted. But I don't actually like seafood so it was wasted on me.

The dryness here in CO took a while to get used to, as did the elevation. In fact I honestly still don't like the dryness. Also, you know that thing in the PNW where if the sun comes out on a mostly rainy day, it's like a small miracle is going on? You just don't take the sunshine for granted there. Well you will before long in CO. We get lots of sun. That may sound good, but I rather miss the feeling I used to get during one of those "sunbreaks." I also miss the grandeur of Mount Rainier, the huge trees and the moss and ferns, and the many colorful cultural events that seemed to constantly happen in Seattle and Olympia. Although a favorite band from Portland, March Fourth Marching Band, visits here all the time. In fact they'll be in Colorado next month. If anyone is interested in some amazing music and an awesome good time, check them out...

Another huge difference is that I feel that some people on the West Coast are rather superficial and play too many games. They're just not that genuine. They treat you like they love you but take advantage when they can. Some...not all of course. But I've gotten a far more genuine and down to earth vibe here, with the heavy dose of East Coast realism from the DC area transplants and the Midwest common sense. I like that. The friends I've made feel much more "real" without crossing into the slightly cynical place that you get back East in places like DC and VA (I've also lived there.) It's a comfortable blend for me.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:32 PM

22 posts, read 45,401 times
My fiancé and I are also considering a move from Seattle to Colorado Springs. I moved here about a year ago for work and admit I have never lived in an area where I feel so very unsafe. I have a potential job offer so our comfort level is good for a move. We lived in Denver a few years ago and admittedly we miss Colorado.

Moving wise I would say as long as you are smart about it watch the roads and pull off if the weather gets bad. The one thing we would do if we were to move prior to spring is to go through Oregon in stead of going over Snoquamie. As you know Snoquamie is questionable even in the warm months and just not worth the risk in my book.

Good luck and who knows maybe we will see you going down the road to Colorado Springs.

Last edited by craig1970; 01-01-2015 at 06:41 PM..

Old 01-01-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
It was my understanding that the seafood in that region actually comes from Alaska for the most part. Nearby waters might be too polluted. But I don't actually like seafood so it was wasted on me.

The dryness here in CO took a while to get used to, as did the elevation. In fact I honestly still don't like the dryness. Also, you know that thing in the PNW where if the sun comes out on a mostly rainy day, it's like a small miracle is going on? You just don't take the sunshine for granted there. Well you will before long in CO. We get lots of sun. That may sound good, but I rather miss the feeling I used to get during one of those "sunbreaks." I also miss the grandeur of Mount Rainier, the huge trees and the moss and ferns, and the many colorful cultural events that seemed to constantly happen in Seattle and Olympia. Although a favorite band from Portland, March Fourth Marching Band, visits here all the time. In fact they'll be in Colorado next month. If anyone is interested in some amazing music and an awesome good time, check them out...

Another huge difference is that I feel that some people on the West Coast are rather superficial and play too many games. They're just not that genuine. They treat you like they love you but take advantage when they can. Some...not all of course. But I've gotten a far more genuine and down to earth vibe here, with the heavy dose of East Coast realism from the DC area transplants and the Midwest common sense. I like that. The friends I've made feel much more "real" without crossing into the slightly cynical place that you get back East in places like DC and VA (I've also lived there.) It's a comfortable blend for me.
Actually, not all seafood comes from Alaska and yes, for sure it can be beautiful here also. My other reasons for moving out of here are that I have SAD, arthritis and allergies. That whole mix makes me miserable most of the year. Mold is not my friend and I am allergic to grass---go figure. I have enjoyed some of the same things you have but I am older now and need the change for a better quality of life. Yes, the Seattle freeze is a live and well and their are many superficial people. I am ready for down to earth vibe. It is just time for me to move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs